Hachi: A Dog's Tale (has anyone seen this?!)

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Hi everyone! I just watched this movie last night, but it came out in 2009. I don't remember ever hearing about it or seeing previews in the theater. It stars Richard Gere, Jason Alexander, and some woman I've seen a million times but her name and acting are forgettable. Anyway, it's about a professor that finds this lost akita puppy at the train station, he tries to find the puppy it's rightful owner, but after no one claims him, richard gere keeps the puppy as his own. So this doggy walks richard gere to the train station every day, and meets him at the train station every evening and walks him home.
*******************SPOILER ALERT****************************
So richard gere dies after only two years of having Hachi, and the dog continues to go to the train station every morning and night to wait for him for 9 years! Until Hachi himself dies. Hachi lives at the train station, eating scraps that people give him and he sleeps under a non-working train for shelter. He faithfully waited and NEVER changed his behavior. he just missed his owner so much.

oh my God i'm crying so hard typing this, but you guys have to see it! it is the most moving/sad/sweet/beautiful story i've ever seen.

The craziest part is that IT'S A TRUE STORY!!!! It actually happened in Japan in the 20's. The professor found Hachi oin 1923, died in 1925, and Hachi Went to the train station EVERY single day until he died in March 1934 (coincidentally the same year my dad was born so that caught me off guard and made me sad too). Hachi had the same waiting spot in front of the station entrance/exit and after he died, the station put a bronze statue of Hachi sitting there that is still there today!

Such a fantastic emotional story for any dog lover to see.:cry:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, I saw this and once is enough. My bf and I balled throughout the ENTIRE movie, and that was before we got Stig. I love it but I don't think I can go through that much emotional pain again. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::D

But I really highly recommend it for those who haven't seen it.

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I watched the trailer and cried like a baby so I stayed away from the movie...

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
We watched it last year and cried like babies. My husband was especially touched and he doesn't reveal his emotions so easily. Since I've had Bulldogs he's really come to feel a powerful bond with animals, especially BabyGirl.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yeah, I saw the movie. I mean, I cried in Marley and Me... how much more for this movie!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yeah, I saw the movie. I mean, I cried in Marley and Me... how much more for this movie!

Thanks for the reminder. That's another one we'd like to rent and watch as well. It's not as sad as Hachi, right? I mean, the ending IS happy? Please say yes. :p

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the reminder. That's another one we'd like to rent and watch as well. It's not as sad as Hachi, right? I mean, the ending IS happy? Please say yes. :p
Hachi was more a tear jerker because the movie was so serious. But Marley and Me, the dog was soooooo hilariously obnoxious that I laughed a lot. Come to think of it, Marley is kinda like a bulldog in his antics. But, that's why I cried because he reminds me so much of the up-and-down relationships I had with my dogs over the years and how special that relationship was.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Both movies were such tearjerkers but its always great to see that fantastic bond between dog and owners just wished it could be that way for all the dogs in this world

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Never heard of it I want to see it...no I don't...yes I do......I can really be a cry baby at movies, yet when it is real life it takes a lot for me to cry. [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] I do feel like crying tonight, we get Joe's son tomorrow for the weekend! :eek: I know people this sounds bad, but in my defense "if you walked in my shoe's, lol"

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have seen that movie and it was a very good movie. It will definitely bring a tear to your eye. [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] duct tape works wonders :ROFL: just kidding :ROFL:

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
hachi is very serious and it is just so special. i love it, but it was very hard to watch. such an incredible story.

i was so annoyed with the dog in marley and me that i was actually glad he died in the end :/ i'm a monster. it takes a lot for me to cry in real life about people, but in movies i am a baby and when it comes to doggies i get so emotional. for example, when hurricane katrina destroyed new orleans i did not feel bad for any people that chose to stay and died or whatever, but you better believe i sobbed uncontrollably when i saw dogs swimming in the water and debris filled streets. i have a hard time watching the ASPCA commercials too. :(

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have not seen it, but now I want to!!! I also haven't seen Marley and Me. When that movie came out we had just put down our yellow lab Barkley and the movie hit too close to home. Almost 4 years later, it still does. My kids have all seen Marley and Me and anytime I walked into the room and they were watching it, I walked right back out. My oldest daughter watched it by herself one night, she came up from the family room balling her eyes out. I thought something seriously bad had happened to one of her friends. She walks over to the box where we have Barkley's ashes, picks it up and just holds it. Right then, I knew, she had watched the movie. Maybe someday, but not right now for me.

L

Lucy-licious

No and having read that I don't think I will. I cried like a baby at Marley and Me..and no!! [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] its not a hapy ending so make sure you and your bf have a BIG box of tissues handy.
But saying that this is coming from someone who cried at least 4 times during the final Harry Potter movie :rofl: I know I'm a Sadsack!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
You should all watch it together... Then you got that friendly support through the bawling... :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.