Wartime weekend fun :)

L

Lucy-licious

Anybody remember the wartime movie starring Richard Gere called Yanks??
Well it was filmed locally to me in the mid 70's in and around a number of small Saddleworth Villages.

For the last 10 years or so we have enjoyed 1940's Wartime weekends called "Yanks Weekend" in celebration of this film and the 2nd world war.
I am looking forward to going this year it will be my first time in ages as I am usually working.

This is just some of the stuff going on :)

THE YANKS ARE BACK IN SADDLEWORTH - AUGUST 12TH - AUGUST 14TH 2011

RSJeep%20in%20Road.jpg

Saddleworth takes a step back in time to the war-torn 1940s from August 12th to August 14th 2011 for the 10th anniversary celebration of the Yanks are Back in Saddleworth event, known in the past as the wartime weekend.

The event brings a wide selection of fabulous 1940’s entertainment, historical displays and much much more. At the military vehicle encampment at Saddleworth School in Uppermill and in the Delph and Dobcross villages of Saddleworth you can explore a huge selection of :

military vehicles,
Dakota fly over,
militaria and period stalls,
battlefield re-enactment displays,
funfair,
exhibitions,
jive dance demonstrations,
American classic cars,
1940's bring and buy sale,
local pub entertainment,
and a whole lot more besides

culminating in a massed military convoy and parade and event finale.

Proceeds from the event go towards The Royal British Legion and The Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Benevolent Fund.

Friday 12th• Military vehicle encampment• Militaria and vintage fashion stalls• In The Mood Jitterbug Jive Night• Wartime Sing-as-we-go with Jane

Saturday 13th• Pub entertainment throughout the weekend• Militaria and vintage fashion stalls• Military vehicle encampment• Fashion show in the marquee• Monty visits the troops• Music by Radio Olympia and Miss Ivy Walters• Old Time Fun Fair• 1940s field cafe (Dr. Kershaw’s Hospice)• Military Vehicle convoy• American Classic Cars (courtesy of AAC North west)• C47 Dakota flypast (weather permitting)• 1940s hairstyles (by Vintage Beauty Parlour, )• WWII 101st Airborne display (with 45th field hospital)• Swing Dancing and free lessons (by the Backstep Boogie Club)• Victory Swing Ball at the Civic Hall Hall, Lea street, Uppermill. For more details see main ad on reverse.

Sunday 14th• Military Vehicle Encampment• Militaria and vintage fashion stalls• Mayor of Oldham’s coffee morning (with the Normandy Veterans)• Town Cryer (collecting goodies on behalf of the troops in Afghanistan)• Military Parade and convoy Lead by Mr Churchill and Monty, accompanied by the D Day/Royal British Legion Veterans with music form Oldham Scottish Pipe Band• WWII 101st Airborne display (With 45th Field Hospital)• Big Battle Re-enactment (by the north west 101st)• Music by Radio Olympia and Miss Ivy Walters• Spitfire Flypast (weather permitting)•

People get dressed up in military and civilian clothing and its a lot of fun.
Just thought I'd share :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I do remember the movie Yanks b/c I had a HUGE crush on Richard Gere when i was younger :)
That sounds like a great event...I hope you have a wonderful time. Will Richard be there? :luv:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

I do remember the movie Yanks b/c I had a HUGE crush on Richard Gere when i was younger :)
That sounds like a great event...I hope you have a wonderful time. Will Richard be there? :luv:

Oh I wish :luv: but sadly no.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.