Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
My boyfriend and I are bad at coming up with ideas, so I turn to you, my friends! :p

Tim and I will have been dating for a year on August 23rd. He's always said "just wait and see what we're going to do for our one year anniversary!" throughout the time we've been dating..and now it's approaching and he doesn't know what to do. Sigh, silly Tim, lol. He's like "uhh..we can go to a movie or something?" I'd rather do something..better than that.

So, does anyone have any ideas for something we can do?? This was supposed to be fun and an exciting, "Yay! We lasted a year!" mark but we're both kind of just..dull I guess? LOL.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well there's a meal at a favorite restaurant that is usually a special occasion .......... or you could reenact your first real date together by yourselves ......... or you could book yourself a night away together. Or you could decide to have a 3 course meal - one of you does the appetizer, the other does the main course, and both of you come up with a dessert and then present it really nicely like you made your dining table at home a restaurant. That last one is always fun....

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] that last idea does sound fun!! But it'd end up being him doing anything. I can't cook to save my life. xD and there's not much room to do it at his apartment..I still live with my parents.

Oh goodness..reenacting our first date. That'd be a laugh!! It'd be us going to Steak n Shake, then going to see "Dinner for Schmucks." Then afterwards, driving back to Steak n Shake, leaning up against his car for 2 hours in the pouring down rain just talking. My hair was a mess! :p

L

Lucy-licious

I'd still go for the meal Idea. I'm sure one or two of our seasoned foodies here [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] for example could help you with a simple yet tastey first course and desert, Tim could do the main.
As for room, haha!! Chris and I had our first home cooked meal together in our new home sat on garden chairs with a tray on our knees. Chris lit the room with candles and put the fire on, funny and romantic :)
You could lay a blanket on the floor if you don't have a table, as long as your heart is in it thats what matters.

Last edited:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Joe actually surprised me for our first dating anniversary and took me to see my favorite play in the city (PS - Joe really doesn't like the city, so I took him to ESPNZone to eat which he really liked). My thinking is - maybe do something that you wouldn't normally do or always wanted to do! Maybe a concert? Or some kind of a day trip? I'm actually deciding what to do for our first wedding anniversary in September so I've been thinking about this alot! I think we may take a long weekend at a place out of state that I've been wanting to go to. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like the idea of an overnight get away but that can get expensive. But if that is in the cards could do that and get take out from a good restaurant since you dont cook and have it all set up romantic when he gets there? Our 6 yr wedding ann just passed and we went go cart racing and had sushi. I know, not the norm but it was a lot of fun. Maybe something off the wall like that?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
No, you're not dull at all!

I've been married 13 years and every year we just go... uhm... movie?

Now, you might think... but movies are special! Well... we've been going to the movies every Friday for 13 years.. LOL.

But then, we REALLY love movies, so what better way to spend an anniversary than doing something we really love?

That's my advice to you. What do you like doing? I mean - what "defines" your relationship that has become "tradition"... ok. One year isn't really long enough to have a "tradition"... but I think it's long enough to know what "defines" you. Like, my husband and I... no question. Movies. As in... we saw The Matrix at the theater 12 times. We saw Avatar 8 times. And we're big fans of midnight openings. We lined up for Star Wars Episode I for 8 hours to catch the first showing in the theater at midnight. Then watched it again at 10am the next day.

So, every anniversary, we go to the movies. But, we kick it up a notch. Like go to this fancy prom-dress restaurant before going to the movies. Or get dressed up in costume (like what we did when Harry Potter came out on our anniversary we dressed up in robes). It's just our silly tradition and it's really special. And yeah, when we had the kids, we did the anniversary without the kids. We don't do that anymore. We realized that we don't enjoy ourselves much when we don't have the kids - we're constantly saying "the kids would have loved this movie...". So, anniversaries are family affairs. Kids get to go in costume too. So, the kids look forward to anniversaries... :)

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Lari and I have never been to a movie together.... lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
That's my advice to you. What do you like doing? I mean - what "defines" your relationship that has become "tradition"... ok. One year isn't really long enough to have a "tradition"... but I think it's long enough to know what "defines" you.

EXCELLENT idea! I'm going to echo that suggestion. That's what Dave and I do, we both LOVE music and we both love the same kind of music/bands, our crazy love of Sublime is what initially brought us together so we have gone to concerts for most of our anniversaries.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
On our one year anniversary of dating I cannot remember what we did. I know we were planning our wedding which was just 1 month away.

We have looked at RVs, gone to Vegas, a cruise, NASCAR races. We have also just stayed home and had a nice meal. We have also renewed our vows. I even made him drive me 200 miles to a tiny racetrack in bradenton Florida hoping to see Mark Martin. (we met him so that worked out well!) But the important thing is really just to spend it together, and remember why you are together. :)

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
For our one year wedding anniversary I put a deposit on our bully pup, Hudson. That is a good way to go. Nothing says "I love you" like a bully!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Lauren, what did you guys end up doing? And where have you been???? [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Well, our anniversary is Tuesday! And he's taking me out to Biaggis..and then he says he has a surprise for me. :O So we'll see what that is, LOL. I'm going to try and find him a present tonight.

as far as where I've been..I've been swaaaammppeeed with my CNA class. It finally got over on Friday. I was up at 4am every morning last week to be at the nursing home by 5:30 am. Yikes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.