Anyone start Christmas shopping yet?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I am so envious!! It is all I can do to get through the day lately!! but like [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION], having two son's 23 and 26 and my parents live in Ohio it is money/gas gift cards to the boys and restaruant gift cards to a few different places for my parents that have everything and need nothing. I only really buy for Joe and of course Vegas. Oh I do have to buy for my future daughter-in-law but even that is a gift card for a department store. So basically I can get all mine done in an hour except for Joe/Vegas.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oy, I haven't even thought about Christmas yet. I have four birthdays and school shopping to get through first! We do a "blitz" too usually. We get most of it in one day.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] It's such a great idea to pick a kid's name out of a hat and get something spectacular for him or her. So much cheaper and easier. I wish my bf's fam would do the same because there's so many of them, unlike my side where we only have big kids for now. lol.

We never used to draw names but we now have I think 18 kids in the running and there is no way around it. Each kid draws a name and that is their gift. Of course grandparents can choose to do what thy want etc but in general each kid gets 1 gift from the name draw, otherwise it is just too much. Us adults also used to draw names but the last few years everyone has tightened their belts a bit so we have taken a break from that for a bit I think. Just the kids now.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We never used to draw names but we now have I think 18 kids in the running and there is no way around it. Each kid draws a name and that is their gift. Of course grandparents can choose to do what thy want etc but in general each kid gets 1 gift from the name draw, otherwise it is just too much. Us adults also used to draw names but the last few years everyone has tightened their belts a bit so we have taken a break from that for a bit I think. Just the kids now.

I'm not sure I understand what "drawing names" is for.

I mean, it's a gift. You don't have to buy one if you can't afford it, right? I'm thinking we have gotten ourselves into a Christmas prison - where gift-giving is not anymore about the "thought" of it, but of the "stuff" of it. I mean, I would "want" to give something to all the kids - not just one kid. So I wouldn't feel good about singling out one kid. But, it doesn't have to cost anything either.

The best gift I ever received from my father-in-law is this home-made lazy susan he built from an oak in his backyard that is now sitting on my breakfast table. Cost - zero. It's far from professional looking and it doesn't match my furniture. But, I love that thing! It came from his own hands, you know what I mean? My mother-in-law gave my kids 6 DVDs of home-videos of my husband - all the way from when he was born to when he graduated from high school. My kids loved it! I don't know how much that cost - she did it on her computer. Some of those footages were on Super 8's! She gave all her grandkids home-made DVDs that year. And another year, she gave me a CD of my husband's genealogy all the way to some Scottish baron in the 1500's. She loves doing genealogy work. I really love that CD too.

My mother-in-law's health hasn't been too good lately, so the past 2 years, she's given us stuff from the mall. I kinda miss those special presents she gives us.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I'm not sure I understand what "drawing names" is for.

Well I wish I could buy gifts for all 18 kids but that isnt possible so this makes me happy being able to buy for the 2 names my girls do draw. Seems to make sense to me. This way there is no present overload and yet we get to enjoy buying something special for who we get. Nobody is singled out, the names go in a hat and every kid gets a name of a different kid so therefore every kid gets 1 gift from another kid. I too love personal gifts and do actually prefer them to be homemade but not everyone has a talent or the imagination to think of something special for other people. My mom painted all 4 of us kids special pictures last year for xmas and it was the best gift ever. Dont know how she will try and top that this year. haha For those of us who do not have these skills I also love store bought gifts and they can actually mean as much if they are thought out.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:laugh: got 2 gifts so far! One for Jake and one for a friends bully! Sooooo..guess I'm done! I WISH!!! Personally..I LOVE getting all the kids in my life gifts! Even the big kids! But if I tried this early..they would surely change their minds! That's my story and I'm stick in to it!! :yes:

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] when I saw your "drawing names" idea I thought it was cool. I mentioned it to my husband who has a large family and he's suggesting it at the next get together to do next year. I think everyone will love it, thanks :D

Personal and home made gifts are great but I am a busy mum workin full time shifts..so even if I had a great talent I would never physically have the time let alone the energy to make so many gifts. I would get everyone giftcards but Chris likes to think about gifts and everyone gets something special to their personality. He is such a cool gift buyer everyone looks forward to opening his on christmas morning :)

Christmas is very commercial and has always been but HEY!! its only once a year :) bah humbug!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd love to pick a name from a hat for the kids' presents, as its more easier and fun because we can focus on just one kid and have a higher spending limit. I try to be as thoughtful with gift-buying and giving, but with limited funds, it can be difficult. I don't mind doing the same for the adults too.

I'd love to give home-made gifts, and sometimes do, but I, too, don't have enough time and talent to work on them. I work full-time, and go to school part-time, plus help out my mom with her business. With the spare time I get, I choose to spend it with my bf and Stig and keeping the house together.

Although you gave me a great idea for a creative project for my MIL. She loves scrapbooking and I'd love to have one for Stig. I don't even mind paying her and getting all the materials.

Christmas is my second fave day of the year ... next to my bday. :p

**Update:

I must add, Stig's bday is probably my fave day of the year now.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We also draw names. For me, it gives more flexibility financially to get something that is really special and specific to that child.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm a poor college student and tend to procrastinate and buy my Christmas gifts in December...*cough*

allistersmith

Sep 8, 2011
That's great, you have done all the shopping for Christmas eve. I am also ready for shopping, can you give some idea of your shopping.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.