Little dog lost in the city

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
When I was walking to my office from the train station yesterday morning, I saw a little Jack Russell Terrier sniffing around off lead. (Dogs have recently been allowed back into the central business district except during shopping hours, but are meant to be on lead). I stayed watching him for a minute or two, and could not see an owner. Also he was next to a busy main road and was going onto a side road, which was dangerous. So I picked him up and took him to the office. He was a lively little thing and jumped onto the chair and the office table to look out the window. Luckily on examining him he had a cellphone number on his collar, so I rang that and the owner came round and collected him shortly after that. The owner said he had jumped out of his car window without him noticing! Anyway, all's well that ends well!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: really? He didn't notice his dog jumped out of the window? REALLY? I certainly hope he doesn't look out for children. Kudos to you for stopping!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow! Can you imagine? Your dog is there one moment and then gone...wonder if the owner was on his cell? lol. Good for you for picking him up! You may have just saved his life :)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Good for you for picking him up!

I can't believe the guy wouldn't notice though. that's just...insane!

L

Lucy-licious

He sure must have been pre occupied not to notice his dog had jumped...even watching traffic surely he would have seen the sudden movement in his peripheral vision.
At least he had the number on its collar and you could return his dog safely.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hopefully the owner learned a valuable lesson and won't have the windows so far open in the future. So glad you could save the little one.

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Yeah it was quite dangerous, particularly as the little dog was not road savvy and was sniffing on the road too, with a lot of morning traffic on a road very nearby. I think you have to act quickly in that sort of situation. Once I rescued a white cat which was playing on the road apparently oblivious to traffic (turned out it was deaf). I regret not trying to pick up a dog near our house a year or two back which was obviously worried and lost.

The little dog was in good condition and did not mind at all when I picked it up, so the owner obviously cared for it (and it ran straight to the owner when he came in the office). The owner said he jumped out so quickly he did not notice. Well, you can't be too careful with dogs and cars sometimes. I am sorry to have to admit that, many decades ago my family's first bully used to lunge at passing trucks from inside the car, and once made a tremendous leap and jumped right out the car and rolled on the tarmac (my dad had been travelling about 60mph). We thought he was a gonna for sure, but he just rolled over and over, picked himself up and seemed none the worse for wear. One tough bulldog!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
God I hate to admit this also, years ago (about 17 yrs) I had a Basset, she was sitting in the front seat of my car and I was driving probably around 50 mph, she jumped out the rolled down window, I DID SEE IT THOUGH!! I look in my review mirror, as I am slamming on my breaks and she did about 3 summersalts down the middle of the busy road, cars just missing her...and then she just sat up and sat. I pulled over, ran and got her, put her back in the car (rolled up the window) and she was fine. Not even a scratch or limp. I don't think seat belts were even available for dogs it was that long ago. After that I made sure that her window was only 1/4 of the way down. SCARED me to death!!! I have never, ever since had a dog in the car with the window comletely down again.

L

Lucy-licious

Note to self...when Lucy travels up front make sure the window isnt all the way down.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
So proud of you for helping the little dog. I hope the owner appreciated your effort. I never roll down my rear windows when I have my dogs seat-belted in the back. I have all the "dog slobber" on them to prove it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online