Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm going to try and keep this short and to the point because I don't want to go overboard. but I probably will because I'm really, really aggravated.

I've been working at Katun (it's a warehouse) since last summer. Over the past couple of months, they've been gradually cutting down by hours. It went from 40 hours down to 8 hours..then eventually to none for two weeks. I had complained about this before. They told me they were cutting my hours "because of my health problems." Alright..that's illegal, first of all. Second of all, I always had doctors notes. Third, when I had to take off for appointments, I requested off ahead of time. They are a "flexible place" and part-time employees (which would be me) were guaranteed all that flexibility.

I do get sick a lot. But I don't call out unless I'm like keeling over. They aren't understanding. The two biggies are these, among a few other minor problems.

1.) I have hereditary Hemochromatosis, aka iron over load disease. I can't process iron. I have to go get phlebotomies done often so that I don't overload on iron and get iron poisoning. Symptoms of that include fatigue and sore joints. My joints are pretty crappy for a 20 year old.
2.) I have neurogenic syncope. Before I went on medication for it (had to do a tilt table test, heart monitor, and a bunch of other tests to figure it out) I was passing out upwards of 5+ times a day. Basically the nerves around my heart don't always work right, and tell my veins / arteries to dilate instead of constrict when they are supposed to. So, the blood was pooling in my legs, i was losing consciousness, and falling and knocking my head on the floor and on objects. They got pissed at me for going to doctor's appointments for this!

So I've been getting no hours basically..not enough to pay my bills and pay for Delilah. I get a call today saying that "they aren't putting me back on the schedule and that I'm being terminated." What the..who the heck even just CALLS you to say that? They gave me the option of "resigning" or being "terminated." They said I wouldn't be able to get unemployment (I asked) because for the last month I haven't worked enough hours. So basically, these a**holes have been cutting me down like this so I couldn't collect unemployment. They did not give me a reason for termination (which I'm pretty sure is illegal). They said before they were cutting me down because of my medical problems..which is discrimination.

This job treated me like crap. I was constantly the scape goat. I had to do all the hard physical labor and everyone else would sit around and watch. I had to do 10x more than everyone else in my department. I worked hard..I'm a good worker! I even injured my hip there and they refused to do anything about physical therapy. They were so biased. I got treated bad because I wasn't one of the "hot, skinny girls." The attractive girls there get seriously everything they want. I always called out when I needed to or requested off when I had to..never once did a no call no show. There's a girl that didn't show up for over a month and SHE'S STILL EMPLOYED. How is that FAIR?

And on top of this lovely thing..I've started having GI Tract issues again. In 2009 I had to get a full work up (endoscopy, colonoscopy, pill cam, had to go to IA city, etc) because I was passing blood. They ended up finding out I had a fissure in my rectum..lol, so nothing serious.

Now, for the last few days, I've had pitch black, almost tarry diarrhea. I've passed numerous blood clots. My back hurts. My whole abdomen hurts and when someone pushes on it it feels absolutely atrocious. I'm dizzy. I'm nauseous. I'm running a fever, I'm vomitting. I finally went to the doctor today. He sent me for some blood work to test some enzymes to see if I have an infection in my intestine. But he's suspecting that I'm bleeding internally in my upper GI tract..because I'm basically classic case of that. He is sending me back to the gastro doctor that I went to before..which they didn't catch anything last time. x.x They were supposed to call me today and didn't, so I have to call them tomorrow. He told me if I was hurting tonight, vomitted, or passed more blood, to go to the hospital. Guess what..I did all of those things..and didn't get to go to the hospital because my mom said it "won't do any good" and she doesn't want to pay the bill. She's skeptical because she was an ER nurse for like 15+ years. She said I'd leave with no answers. Hell, last time I went to the ER with a status migraine they fixed me right up and gave me pain killers. I need pain killers. :(

and now Delilah is behind by over 100 votes in that stupid Drago contest..even though I've been trying super hard to get votes.

I guess I just need to vent. I'm upset about my job. I honestly feel like I'm dying at some points because of how bad I'm hurting. I'm scared that I'm bleeding internally and that it's just getting worse.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] I am a Gastro nurse here in the UK and the fact that your passing a malaena(blood) stool is very concerning, and your passing clots too! Your doctor is right you are having upper GI bleed and seriously need to go to ER, if you were here I would be dragging you there myself. Your blood count will be dropping hence the dizzy spells and nausea. Please don't wait too long before you seek treatment :hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am no medical person whatsoever and am the last one to ever go to a dr with a concern but I agree with lucy-licious get checked out fast. I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this crap and at the same time too. When it rains it pours they say and dang if that isnt true. Get your health on track, nothing else is as important as that. I dont know legalities as far as your job or even proving anything with them at this point may be next to impossible. Some companies are just wrong. When my husband was young he worked at ups and broke his ankle on the job. He had signed a waiver when he got hired saying if he had an on the job injury he could go to any dr of his choosing. (paperwork the company offered) They claimed they didnt have this paper on file while he even kept a copy of it at home as proof. They discriminated against him because he didnt use their crappy disability dr who gave him the advice of coming in a week to have set. Ummm no, it was broken bad and his dr said had he waited that week he would have done permanent damage. Anyhow they eventually fired him because of this. It was a union job but he was so mad he just said ____ them. Thankfully tho cuz in the end a better job came around. Hoping same goes for you. Please let us know how you are doing after you get checked out. :hug:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I'm with [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] and @cali~jenn , get medical treatment now! Your health is more important than anything else right now. Get your health on track then look for another job; aren't you a CNA? There's got to be a job waiting for you, hopefully one with medical benefits! Please take care of yourself.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
It sounds more like a lower GI problem if your passing bright red blood, but since yours is dark tarry it does sound like an upper GI prob. You need to get an EGD performed, I'm thinking ulcers. Seems like you are having lots of stress with your job... Please get yourself checked out sooner rather than later. I'm scared for you!

Also, seriously... you don't need that BS in your life (re: your work). There are plenty other jobs you could be doing and other places where people where care for you.

Good luck!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
OMG! I don't know the medical issues..but I would be dragging your a** to the emergency room. As far as unemployment insurance..it is based on quarters..NOT the last month. If you can verify the things they were doing and how they systematically cut your hours..you will get unemployment. Do NOT take their word for it. Sounds like they did all tis on purpose. You will need to be prepared and be able to prove you had drs notes etc...but chances are..they think they can totally buffalo you.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
OK - as everyone has said ... GET TO THE ER!!! Next, don't stress about the job. I'd take all the steps to apply for unemployment anyway ... just because THEY say you won't get it, doesn't mean you won't. It means they will fight it and you just have to fight harder. And look for something else that you will enjoy more in the meantime. Maybe something on your own hours ... like ... dog walking! You'd be amazed how many people need help with their pets ... even charging $5 for a half hour visit (sounds like a little but if you think about it, it's $10/hour cash!) is cheap and helps people out. Then when they meet you and see your shining personality, they will refer you to all their friends!!! Just a thought. Chin up ... you will get through this! We have to deal with the bad to appreciate the good in life!!! :yes::smoochwink:

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Thanks everyone.

At this point I don't care about the job. More worried about my health. I'm going to see what I can do about unemployment still.

I called the GI doctor, they finally got back to me about an appointment.

I sound "alarming" so they got me in on Thursday at 10:45 for a consult and then I'm going straight to the surgery area to get an endoscopy done. x.x sigh. The last endoscopy they did on me they didn't numb my throat enough, so the whole time I struggled and tried to pull the scope out..I read this on the sheets afterwards. So I'm hoping this goes better. My throat was sore for over a month..I messed it up big time.

So, I'm a bit worried. I'm hoping they find what it is. How do you even fix internal GI bleeding?? [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] you might know..since you said you're a GI nurse.

Oh, and if I miss one of my CNA classes, I won't get to graduate from it and I'll have to pay again. Guess what..this appt is on a day I have class!! UGH. Seriously. Why does all this crap always happen to me. I called the center, they're going to call the nurse that teaches my program, and have her call me. I'm honestly just hoping I get a bit of sympathy and that I can make up the class work and the skills. I'll sit in on another class or something.

I just want to break down and cry.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Awww Lauren - hang in there girl. As everyone has already said, worry about your health first, everything else can wait. You definitely should apply for unemployment. I know the laws vary by state, but from what you've told us there is a very good chance you will get it.

I hope your CNA instructor will understand and make exceptions for emergency health situations. I've got to believe they will - fingers crossed.

I know it seems like everything is overwhelming right now but as long as you get healthy, everything else will have a way of working itself out (and usually for the better).

You need to go snuggle with Delilah :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm with everyone and get medical help asap. Not sure about how EI works there but I'd try too. Don't worry about that wacko company of yours, karma will get them. But please don't forget that your health is utmost important and you need to take care of yourself.

L

Lucy-licious

It depends on the cause [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]....and bear in mind that I am in the UK and treatment may be different.
Actively bleeding gastric ulcers would be clipped and injected with adrenalin, this would also need a continuous 72 hr IV infusion of Omeprazole/Losec, then Omeprazole capsules 2 times a day for a while cutting down to 1 in the morning for always.
None active ulcers would be left and treated medically with the infusion then tablets.
Stomach abrasions would be treated with tablets too.
Depending on how much blood has been lost you may need a blood transfusion.
Stomach/duodenal ulcers are the most common cause of upper GI bleeding unless you are a heavy drinker....I'm surmising from posts here and Facebook that you are not. They are exacerbated by stress, alcohol, and a fatty diet.

I hope all goes well and I am sure you will be just fine, take it easy until your appointment sweetheart try not to stress, eat a light diet and drink plenty fluids. I'll be thinking of you :hug2:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh Lauren I am so sorry to hear all this. I am glad you have so many people here giving better advice than I can offer! I hope it all gets better soon! Take care of yourself! My goodness so much for a 20 year old to deal with! I would like to echo what JAKEISGREAT said, do not take their word for it on the unemployment! You should be able to get it!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'll have to look into the unemployment thing. I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Man my gut hurts right now!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I just got so dizzy that I fell..sigh. This is going to be a long week.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online