Am I being too harsh?

L

Lucy-licious

I feel really hacked off with my in-laws.
Andrew my eldest boy is 21 on 9th August. We have been through a lot but seem to be getting there now and I am excited and emotional cos my baby is all grower up.
Anyways we have always had big family get togethers on birthdays, my nieces 18th n 21st, my nephews 18th and Andrew's 18th too. So I am making arrangments for THE meal only to be told the original date I planned isn't good for my MIL so I change the date, now I find that out of 12 relatives only 2 are coming... I feel let down and upset by their lack of interest in MY boys 21st birthday.
"it's just inconvenient" was my MIL's comment like his birthday should be moved. I am so P**sed and I so rarely get angry with them like this.
Am I being unreasonable or are they being thoughtless?
I am now feeling that rather than him know they don't care I will do something else and forgoe their so called tradition. Ooooh if it was Hayley or Dan (his cousins) guaranteed they would all be there.
Sorry if there are spellings in here I have been drowning my sorrows :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Drowning your sorrows?? :lmao:, I have the most disfunctional family ever! I would plan your son's 21st birthday at YOUR convenience and stick with it. If they do not show up it is THEIR loss!! Make is special so that he does not even notice who is missing. I have had to do this with my X-husband because his parents were divorced if one showed up the other wouldn't, (even at our wedding) so I thought "SCREW THIS" I planned an event, everyone was invitied and it was their choice to show up or not. I feel it was their loss, not mine. I hate family issues and drama!!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I agree with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]. Throw his 21 st party when you want to. Oh, and don't worry I am used to reading misspelled words. :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]..I swear..why are families so cruel to each other? Don't tell your son why..just make it even more special. No matter how old they are..it will hurt their feelings to know! When my husband and I were planning our wedding..my future mother in law informed us she couldn't attend the day we chose because there was a frickin church meeting that day! :eek: well that started a whole feud between his mom and mine..his feelings were crushed. So..we got up one day and flew to Vegas and got married by the justice of peace! Then we flew home same day and told both sets of parents. Of course his was happy..mine not so much. But deep down I know my dad was thrilled! Saved him beaucoup bucks! Never really forgave his mother. Do for your son and the hell with the fools that would act like this! :hug:

OP
H

heff101

Ok so are you celebrating this birthday for your son or for your extended family?

Screw what others think you do it for your son and your son only.

Maybe just cancel it all and take your son out for a nice evening.

Wanna bet they will all be insulted then! They expect you to be hurt so shrug it off laugh at them and move on.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Agreed! It's your sons celebration. Do whatever you want to make it his special time.
Then, If nothing else next time any of those who choose to be too busy to attend plan a function, it will be your turn to be too busy.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I agree with everyone else and I have been there. My brother's kids are the "perfect" grandkids...urgh. Anyway Celebrate with him, do something very special and something he won't forget, he might enjoy the immediate family better anyway.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hef has a great idea... cancel the whole friggin. thing and go out... a 21 year old would probably enjoy that more anyway. screw em. all! :p

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with everyone, forget about the rudeness and go have dinner at a really nice restaurant with your sons and husband. At least that way you'll have some quality time and good conversations with the people you love best. :) Don't forget to invite Andrews gf though, if he has one. lol.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
You should take him to Vegas that would be a awesome 21st birthday!!!! Or a cruise something fun like that

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Most kids rather celebrate with friends in my neck of the woods. One time my daughter didn't have any friends available to party with and I was kind of the "last choice." You never seen anyone so unhappy on her birthday so of course I was unhappy too. :*( It's nice to know that there are young adults who still want to celebrate with family.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I don't blame you at all for being upset with them. Families can seriously be ridiculous. I'm with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], I hate family drama!

Coming from someone who is about your son's age..I just say the heck with it with the whole thing and just your immediate family take him out to do something fun. It'll be better than being stressed out and worried about the extended family. I wouldn't want to worry about all of their crap on my birthday! :tongue:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Thanks Guys I feel better after reading these cos it's not me being unreasonable it's them.
Connor even picked up on it and he's only 12. He suggested this morning that we take his big brother to Alton Towers, the UKs biggest theme park...roller coasters etc, then go out for a nice dinner on the way home.
I think he'll like this idea as he mentioned not having been there for ages last time I saw him. We'll take him for a meal with his Gran (my mum) the evening before as she would be devastated if she didn't Mark his big day. She was my birthing partner and helped bring him into this worl.
So new plans...meal with us and his Gran on the 8th, then Alton Towers on his bday and a meal just us on the way home, then on the 10th Andrew and I will go to the Tattoo parlour for his present :)

OP
L

Lucy-licious

You should take him to Vegas that would be a awesome 21st birthday!!!! Or a cruise something fun like that

Andrew doesn't like to fly and is a home body. He says why go abroad when he hast seen all of England yet :lol:
But I would love to take Chris and thought about going next year for his 40th, but I want to go to Florida again next year so 2 trips would be way to expensive. One day though.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I still say we should all meet up in Vegas!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online