Bourne Ultimatum: Mum-In-Law's Manners Guide

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Carolyn Bourne, 60, wrote the message after her stepson Freddie took Heidi Withers to meet his family in Devon - and made it clear they had not got off on the right foot. Mrs Bourne slammed the 29-year-old's "lack of grace" and branded her "an ideal candidate for the Ladette to Lady television series". The situation got out of hand when a stunned Miss Withers, a PA, forwarded the stern email to some of her friends who, astonished by the tone, decided to forward it on. The email has since gone viral on the internet, reaching tens of thousands of readers.

Mrs Bourne said Miss Withers' behaviour had been so rude it had left the family dog, Bomber, traumatised, depressed and anxious.

And in a stinging pay-off, she remarked: "One could be accused of thinking that Heidi Withers must be patting herself on the back for having caught a most eligible young man. I pity Freddie." Mrs Bourne, who runs Whetman Pinks nursery near Dawlish in Devon, has refused to comment.

Full email:

It is high time someone explained to you about good manners. Yours are obvious by their absence and I feel sorry for you.

Unfortunately for Freddie, he has fallen in love with you and Freddie being Freddie, I gather it is not easy to reason with him or yet encourage him to consider how he might be able to help you.
It may just be possible to get through to you though. I do hope so.
Your behaviour on your visit to Devon during April was staggering in its uncouthness and lack of grace.
Unfortunately, this was not the first example of bad manners I have experienced from you.
If you want to be accepted by the wider Bourne family I suggest you take some guidance from experts with utmost haste.
There are plenty of finishing schools around. You would be an ideal candidate for the Ladette to Lady television series.
Please, for your own good, for Freddie's sake and for your future involvement with the Bourne family, do something as soon as possible.
Here are a few examples of your lack of manners:
When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat - unless you are positively allergic to something.
You do not remark that you do not have enough food.
You do not start before everyone else.
You do not take additional helpings without being invited to by your host.
When a guest in another's house, you do not lie in bed until late morning in households that rise early - you fall in line with house norms.
You should never ever insult the family you are about to join at any time and most definitely not in public. I gather you passed this off as a joke but the reaction in the pub was one of shock, not laughter.
I have no idea whether you wrote to thank [your future sister-in-law] for the weekend but you should have hand-written a card to her.
You should have hand-written a card to me. You have never written to thank me when you have stayed at Houndspool.
[Your future sister-in-law] has quite the most exquisite manners of anyone I have ever come across. You would do well to follow her example.
You regularly draw attention to yourself. Perhaps you should ask yourself why.
It is tragic that you have diabetes. However, you aren't the only young person in the world who is a diabetic.
I know quite a few young people who have this condition, one of whom is getting married in June. I have never heard her discuss her condition.
She quietly gets on with it. She doesn't like being diabetic. Who would? You do not need to regale everyone with the details of your condition or use it as an excuse to draw attention to yourself. It is vulgar.
As a diabetic of long standing you must be acutely aware of the need to prepare yourself for extraordinary eventualities, the walk to Mothecombe beach being an example.
You are experienced enough to have prepared yourself appropriately.
No-one gets married in a castle unless they own it. It is brash, celebrity style behaviour.
I understand your parents are unable to contribute very much towards the cost of your wedding. (There is nothing wrong with that except that convention is such that one might presume they would have saved over the years for their daughters' marriages.)
If this is the case, it would be most ladylike and gracious to lower your sights and have a modest wedding as befits both your incomes.
One could be accused of thinking that Heidi Withers must be patting herself on the back for having caught a most eligible young man. I pity Freddie.

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

That's one peed off mum in law :lmao:
I wonder what poor Freddie thinks of her outlandish behaviour! Hehe

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a letter my mom would write to my brothers wife, except it is much nicer!

H

heff101

That's one peed off mum in law :lmao:
I wonder what poor Freddie thinks of her outlandish behaviour! Hehe

Guarantee you Freddie stuck by his control freak mother. And that marriage is likely over by now.
One more reason I hate mother in laws.

L

Lucy-licious

And are you a nice MIL [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]?
I think I have it in me to be vile because Andrew's girlfriends so far have all been just NOT his level.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
And are you a nice MIL [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]?
I think I have it in me to be vile because Andrew's girlfriends so far have all been just NOT his level.

Mostly! As long as no one messes with my daughters..then I will kill them. Period. :evil: guess only my son in law knows for sure!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with most of what she says .... common etiquette for being a guest in somebodys house!!! On the surface I'm with Mrs B. It took me months to get my husband to not eat until everybody else has been served their meal .. a pet peeve of mine which I've always considered just normal etiquette to the other diners!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.