Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So we got this Hamilton Beach Brewstation just 2 months ago. I have owned these over and over since about 2002, and I love these coffeepots. They usually last about a year if even, but I still like them.

Well the other morning I go to make coffee and lift the lid and steam comes out of the dispenser like it is trying to brew coffee. I am like wtf???? The pot is not turned on! Okay so I thought maybe someone had set the programer or something-- you know I have toddlers perhaps someone was hitting some buttons. So I did not think much of it.

Later that day, I go to clean it and the same thing happens. Note the machine turns off after 2 hours. So I feel the back of it and it is blazing hot. Same thing the next day, the only way to get it to actually shut off is to unplug it.

This model has a programmer to brew your coffee, although I do not use it. But this does not seem to have anything to do with the problem, the heating element or whatever makes the coffee brew is NOT shutting off. What a dangerous thing, I would imagine, what if I forget to unplug it?

So I call Hamilton Beach, and they were very rude about it. You would think they would agree that it was a danger to our family. But the response was this: "You should always unplug your coffee maker anyway after each use for safety purposes". I then asked, well if I do that, how would I use the program feature it has? Then they said, "Well obviously you have that turned on." I said, "No, I do not use this feature, and it is always on, even if I turn it off! The red light turns off after 2 hours, but the pot is still on"

They continued to argue with me, not understanding what I was trying to tell them obviously!!! Finally they say, "Yes, this model is a newer model and still under warranty. You will need to return the pot, but instead of doing that, just cut the cord off and mail it to us with a money order for $15 to cover the shipping charges."

My reponse: "Really, I must send you a check for a faulty coffee maker? And do I send this cord before or after I get the new one sent to me?"

They respond: "After you send the cord back, we will ship you the new coffee maker."

How long will this take? I asked.

About 2-3 weeks. They said

"Well, how in the heck am I supposed to make coffee for the next 3 weeks?" I responded. "This is not good enough. Get me your supervisor on the phone, please."

They responded, "I will give them your information and they will call you back."

Guess what? Noone called.

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!!!

So I called Walmart, they will take it back and issue a replacement.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
To admit that they have a problem would open them up to lawsuits so the policy is to DENY ALL responsibility,,, ALWAYS! ;)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Psss!!! Since when do people unplug their appliances at nite???? None that I know for sure!!! What the heck is the use of having a coffe maker that you can program because you have to unplug at nite??????? :barf:they make me sick!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good ole Walmart, I think they will take anything back. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That is just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard ... obviously customer service is not a number one priority with them!!! They just lost a customer. Also, you have to consider this .... that they have a faulty item which could VERY easily have caused a fire in your home. They were not concerned to look into this faulty and potentially dangerous product that may be from a whole batch of faulty machines!!

Maybe, everybody should re-consider using the Hamilton Beach range! Maybe they feel it best to wait until there is a house fire where somebody is hurt before they recall an item.

Over dramatic??? Maybe ........ but you can't also say that it is an impossibility!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
well, I for one an now going to boycott anything Hamilton Beach. On a mission searching my house for any HB appliances and none were found!!!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
so much for timer's and programs. I would hate re-setting the clock every morning. I don't unplug every night! I would write a letter, there is no such thing as customer service any longer....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I also had trouble with this same coffeemaker? A different problem than you tho! Mine started leaking from the bottom after about 4 months! I took it back..got a replacement and this one lasted a year! I just think companies make mostly crap now and we have learned to accept it! :eek: I know the $$$$ cuisinart breswtation leaks too!

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
That really stinks!! I had a Keurig for 2 wks, it broke. I called them and they emailed a prepaid shipping label to return it and they sent me out a new coffee maker. I was really impressed with their customer service, I does mean a lot. I had to call Hamilton beech cust. Service to get a manual for a cappuccino machine, that wasn't included in the box. The woman kept insisting that I print it offline, I said no I wanted it mailed. I wasn't going to print it out, when inks so expensive... Finally she mailed me copy...

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
what a pain in the butt! i hate stories like that, but it's all too commonplace anymore. we bought a pretty nice Mr. Coffee coffeemaker from Costco in october of 2009 and it is a wonderful machine. i think we paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 dollars. i have never in my life unplugged a coffeemaker cause i hate to reset the time and the delay brew setting. Before i got married i used a french press.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I JUST heard a news report on TV saying owners of a particular Hamilton Beach brand toaster have reported problems with it not popping up the toast. It stays down and cooks until you manually pop it up, this problem has started fires!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I JUST heard a news report on TV saying owners of a particular Hamilton Beach brand toaster have reported problems with it not popping up the toast. It stays down and cooks until you manually pop it up, this problem has started fires!

On Monday I called and asked to speak with a supervisor again. It actually got worse. Now they wanted to send me a prepaid box to send it back in, then I ship it, and IF THEY FIND that it does what I am saying, then they will send me a new one. Oh, it will take over 2 weeks for this process. What a JOKE!!! So I returned it Walmart, told them of the issue, which they tested and labeled, and they gave me a full refund toward a new coffee maker. Oh, and I got a Mr. Coffee instead!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
On Monday I called and asked to speak with a supervisor again. It actually got worse. Now they wanted to send me a prepaid box to send it back in, then I ship it, and IF THEY FIND that it does what I am saying, then they will send me a new one. Oh, it will take over 2 weeks for this process. What a JOKE!!! So I returned it Walmart, told them of the issue, which they tested and labeled, and they gave me a full refund toward a new coffee maker. Oh, and I got a Mr. Coffee instead!!!

OH.... You should agree to them sending a prepaid box and then send it back just the way it is with a letter inside saying you were so disgusted with their customer service that you decided to go through Walmart instead. But thanks anyway .. at least it will cost them postage both ways!!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OH.... You should agree to them sending a prepaid box and then send it back just the way it is with a letter inside saying you were so disgusted with their customer service that you decided to go through Walmart instead. But thanks anyway .. at least it will cost them postage both ways!!!

Damn I shouldve thought of that!!!! :hissy:

📰 Latest posts

Members online