Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I just can't stand those speed camera traps. Ugggh.

I rarely speed. I normally go right at the speed limit, at most 5 over. So half the time I think these things are bogus and that I'm not really speeding.

We had them outlawed in our area a few years back, and they just brought them back last year. Since then I've had to pay three of them..just had to pay one today using my student loan money because it's all I have. Not too happy about it! The last two were on a car I was borrowing from my Dad..which I'm pretty sure he was the one driving but he made me pay it..and this time it was actually with my car so I can't deny it, lol. But I really don't think I would be going 15 mph over like it says. Nooo way!

Any one else have bad luck with these stupid things??

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Can you go to court? I mean, if you dig around, you might actually be able to find some information on how they don't work properly or something? I don't know. What a bummer! I am one of those people that never, ever speed (can't afford a speeding ticket!) so I would be P*&^sed if I got a ticket and would hike my happy hiney to the courthouse. lol

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh man!! That sucks. We don't have those here. If we did, I would probably be paying one a week.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
@GatorRay I thought about contesting it. But it's a $60 fee just to contest it..and then if you end up being guilty of speeding or whatever, it'd cost the fine of $65! So totally not worth it considering I'd save $5 if I "won." The damn things don't go on your record at least..so I'm not going to bother trying to contesting it and end up having to pay over double. Can't afford that!

[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION] believe me, they've made me more aware when I'm driving. They're all over town. =/ It sucks.

paladin1369

May 3, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Scarlet
They make license plate covers that Block them from seeing your plate when they take a picture :] its worth looking into, so far i have never gotten a ticket...

L

Lucy-licious

:lol: glad the UK isn't the only country plagued be speed cameras.
I got caught once doing 55 mph in a 40 zone :eek:
I know naughty but I was racing a porche at the time :lmao:
I chose to go to "speed training" instead so I didn't get a fine or points on my license.
Speed training was a real eye opener lots of horror stories and they had a lady there who lost her husband due to a speeder :( I learned my lesson and have never gone over the limit since. No matter who wants to race me.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Speed cameras are ALL over Britain .... none in NE Ohio!! However, we do appear to have the police sat at almost every corner which I think is even more of a deterrant to stay in the speed limit!!! :nope:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I just think those things should be illegal. For one, they are not that reliable and then if you try to contest the ticket they charge you MORE money?? That is criminal! Plus, if they can't prove who was driving, how can they cite you??? I mean, can they tell in the picture clearly enough to see who it is? No.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2326]paladin1369[/MENTION] are those illegal?? I've heard about those but I've also heard they're illegal and that they don't always work. I've also heard that you can spray gloss on your plates and that apparently makes the flash bounce off and they can't get the photo? I've heard of several different methods. I'm tempted to try it just because I swear it flashes when I'm not speeding!

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] if speed training was an option..I'd go to that too! I don't think we have that option over here. I haven't ever tried to race..lol but my brother does in his Thunderbird. Needless to say he got his license taken away for the second time a couple weeks ago...geez. I can imagine that there are lots of horror stories! It's unfortunate.

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] we have police in lots of corners here, too. Plus those stupid cameras. I've noticed a TON of sting operations going on lately. I don't know what the deal is.

[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] oh, I agree 100%!! I think the damned things should have stayed illegal. They can't prove who was driving it. They don't take a picture of the driver!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We got a ticket from one of those on our way to deliver our baby girl Sedona. So did our doctor. They have one set up right down the road from the hospital womens center if you can believe it!! You know you get one because the dang thing flashes. The next day talking to the doc joking around I asked the doc how many of those she has to pay a week- and she told me flat out she doesn't. They are unconstitutional.

Sure enough soon I got the ticket in the mail. I was going to fight it since I was almost giving birth in the car. I called my doctor to see if she would write something up and she told me to throw it away. I also called my ins company agent and he told me that since it is not sent by registered or certified mail they have no proof that I ever got the ticket. He also told me that after the due date if they don't contact me within x amount of days (30 maybe?) by signature mail that it would be thrown out. Sure enough, I never ever got anything, not even another thing saying I did not pay it.

Since then we have gotten a few more, because we also had trucks driven by employees-- and never heard anything. We have even been pulled over and they have never said anything to us about unpaid tickets.

So if I were all of you, I would investigate these a bit more about the laws of these speed traps in your state!!

Ps don't call the police on me!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I'm sure you guys would be speeding for that!! Geez.

I had no idea you could just not pay them. I got this ticket back in I think April and was just now paying it. I was getting notices like every other day in the mail and threats for warrant for my arrest???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would check around, your state laws may be different.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Yeah I'm going to have to look into that.

I know a guy at work said he's gotten 10 and never paid one and he's not in trouble.

If that's the case..I'm going to be really peeved that I just tapped into my student loan money to pay that off.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
In Oregon you can be ticketed for running a yellow light, who'd have thought....I think they're trying to balance state and local budgets by writing more tickets!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online