Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Well, I caved and went and donated plasma today at the local place. Has anyone else here done it??

My job decided to drastically cut my hours. I went from working 30+ hours a week..to them giving me only 11 hours this week. Needless to say, I'm pretty furious..considering they gave MORE hours to the girl that got fired and they re-hired!! Grrr. But I won't even get started on that. So basically, I'm not even making enough to pay off my car payments and my insurance and to take care of Delilah. Plus I can't afford to do anything extra and that sucks when you're 20 years old and you're stuck just sitting in your Mom's basement because you're poor! And Mom just got out of the hospital...she lost feeling in her arms and legs for a few days..they ended up diagnosing her with mylenitis or something like that..can't remember the exact term. So, she's not working so money is just really tight.

I need to get my boyfriend his birthday presents (his birthday is next Saturday) so I just caved and went down to the plasma place. I've been thinking about doing it for awhile. I had to wait about 2 hours including my physical and such to even get into the room to get the plasma drawn.

I have a disease called Hemochromatosis (hereditary iron overload, it's fatal if not treated but mines well under control) so I have to give blood on a regular basis to keep my levels at bay. So, I am very used to the needles and the whole process of having blood drawn. Yet for some reason, at about the 35 minute mark for this plasma process (it's about 45 minutes to an hour total) I completely lost my hearing, got really faint and nauseous, and blacked out. When I woke up they had ice packs under my head and on my chest and were pumping me full of saline and handed me a bag and I just filled it with throw up. =/ It was awful. I've been sick pretty much all day. They said it's because I didn't eat enough before hand..I'd only had a bowl of cereal.

I got $55 out of the deal though. For the first 5 times I go I get $50 and I think I get between $20 and $40 for every time after that. You can go twice a week and two days in a seven day period. I can go again Friday..and after that I can go back next Wednesday. Chances are I'll go back Friday even though I've seriously been miserable all day because of that just because money is so dang tight. I'm hoping if I gorge myself and drink a ton before hand I'll be fine.

Any one else do it or have any stories??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh man! I'm sorry for what is happening with your mom and your job! I am hearing so many stories of employers just screwing over their people! I guess they are feeling like we are all just lucky they let us work for them!! Grrrrrrrr. Messed up. I bet your mom is glad you are around. We moms are like that! :hug: I don't have any experience with the plasma thing. I'm so afraid of needles...it's ridiculous. I suppose as long as you don't hurt your own health....if you have another bad reaction...I would stop. Keep smiling..you sound amazingly upbeat. Attitude is so important.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] Employers are just being ridiculous right now. =/ I really want to get a different job, because mine has been continuously screwing me over in different ways for the last few months. But, I'm starting up my CNA classes next month and then am done with them in August..so really, it's not worth getting another job for a month..if I could even get one, you know? I'm hoping to get a good CNA job after I'm done with that class. I might be able to get a position in the ER doing some stuff which I would LOVE! Get that CNA class knocked out of the way and I'm one step closer to nursing school. :)

As for the needles..I used to be terrified of them, too! I used to faint just getting shots with those little tiny needles. Now you can stick a huge 17 gauge in my arm and I don't even feel it. I just really don't care anymore, lol. You could probably do it in my sleep and I wouldn't wake up. I'm just glad I have good veins for how often I get stuck!

I'm trying so hard to be positive..I'm just in a rough patch. It's hard to stay positive when you have major depression and it seems like everything just keeps piling up on top of you. Just have to keep taking my medication and trying to stay positive and make the best out of everything.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry to hear so much is going on. :(. Hopefully next time it wont be so rough on you.

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
I am sorry to hear you had a bad expirience at the plasma center. I can offer some good hints on this one. I used to work in a plasma center for almost 3 years (and big surprise they were doinks and fired me.... long story) and I also used to donate plasma. The main thing is to eat a full meal right before you go in to donate and drink tons of water ahead of time and after. I am a huge soda drinker and hate water but let me tell ya, I made sure I drank tons of water before and after because I did have a reaction ( not to the extent as yours tho). But that one time was enough to scare me straight. Another benefit of drinking alot of water is that the process goes alot faster. When I would only drink soda it would take me two hours just to fill a the smallest amout (there are three different amounts that you can donate according to weight). When I switched over to water it took me maybe 45 mins. My sister also used to only drink soda and she ended up in the ER becasue she was majorly dehydrated. So main point of my ramble on here is to EAT A FULL MEAL and DRINK TONS OF WATER. And that is coming from a past employee and past donor. Good luck with your next visit.

L

Lucy-licious

If you go again on Friday please take [MENTION=2450]sitartzm[/MENTION]'s advise and eat n drink plenty before you go and continue to drink plenty afterwards too. I hope you don't have another reaction like this. It must have been terrifying.
I am not allowed to give blood as I have chronic Anaemia but I have had many transfusions throughout my life.
I have one question though [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] what is CNA class? xx

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm like Lucy-licious. I have to take iron supplements daily and I will get aneamic very easily if I forget. Anemia put me in the hospital for a few days about 5 years ago. I was actually having some really odd chest spasms/pains. So they put me in the cardiac unit to find out what that was. Ended up they gave me something like 6 units of blood and took every test under the sun to confirm I wasn't bleeding somewhere internally. The low iron was doing something odd to my liver so that's the reason I was having the pains. Nothing to do with my heart.
So I'm not allowed to give blood obviously. I could back in my 20's but not anymore.
And while I wouldn't say I'm completely religious about it and never miss a pill, I do make sure to take my iron pills on a regular basis.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well seeing as to how I am too chicken to donate blood let alone plasma I have no stories to add. Although after being poked and prodded throughout both pregnancies I suppose donating blood shouldnt be any big deal really. It scares me cuz my mil donates all the time and now her veins are a mess and she bruises up like mad every time they have to take blood now. Hoping your next attempt goes much smoother!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have donated plasma way back in the way back. lol. About 20 years ago (did I just say that?? AHHH!) and didn't have any problems. I am sorry you are going through so much right now. Surely becoming a CNA will help financially. My mother is/was an MA but right now she is working on her Medical Coding and Billing degree because she is getting a bit older and would like to sit down now and then. lol. At any rate, keep your chin up. Everyone goes through these rough patches in life and as long as you keep your chin up, your attitude good and keep your goals in sight, it will get better! Promise!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]...I really admire your spirit! Just look upon this as "a rough patch" like you say...we all hit them in life and you've got what it takes to brush yourself off and keep going! Good news is august isn't THAT far away and we will ALL think positive thoughts here for the right opportunity for you! :pray: hang in there! :hug:

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I have donated plasma for years. Its nice they pay for it BUT its such a life saving gift you can give to someone else.
Next time, Im sure it will be easier just be sure to eat right before you go and take some pretzels or crackers with for afterward. :-)

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
For some reason my computer is not letting me unbold that text..so I apologize for that right now. x.x

[MENTION=2450]sitartzm[/MENTION] thank you for that info!! That'll help a lot. I do drink lots of water because I work in a warehouse and am constantly sweating..if I didn't I'd pass out from the heat because of my Neurogenic Syncope condition..haha. Without those medications if I'm standing up and walking around I get nauseous and just PLOP to the floor. Maybe that's why they don't like me at work..I'm not allowed to manage equipment because I'm a "liability" I guess, lol. I've never had that bad of a reaction to anything and it was kind of scary. I actually had a little convulsion when I got home. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day on the couch!'

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] CNA classes is Certified Nurse's Aid. It's a step down from a nurse basically. They can't administer medications unless they take a different class that certifies them, don't do IV's..none of that stuff. A lot of them are frequently working in places such as nursing homes. They help the people out, just can't do the medications and such. Bed changing, cleaning people up..that sort of thing.

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] wow, that's scary!! You can take some of my iron..haha. :) I actually got really sick from having too much and ended up having to have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, liver ultrasound, and some other things that I can't remember because I was having constant diarrhea and vomiting and was having blood and blood clots come out of both ends. Normal people are supposed to have between 20-50 mg of ferritin (form of iron) per unit of blood (something like that), and mine was up to about 600. Usually this hits women after menopause..so I ended up with Juvenile Hemochromatosis. If they would have waited any longer to figure it out I could have went into liver failure. So at first the treatment was removing a unit of blood every week..then every two weeks..then once a month..and now I'm up to every 3 months which is normal donor schedule. So fairly easy to maintain, thankfully!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] needles aren't so bad, but I can definitely understand your fear! I was scared for awhile too but now I just don't care, lol. Thankfully my veins aren't a mess yet. I do have a lot of scar tissue build up on my arms from having to get blood taken so frequently..I call it my "road map." :)

I'm probably going to go on Friday. I'm just going to make sure I properly gorge myself before hand, LOL.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] are you in a step program where you start out working as a CNA while studying to become a LPN then work as a LPN while studying to become a RN? That is a great program. One of my daughters went through those steps in becomming a RN. She always had a job, and got lots of real nursing experience while getting her training.
Always keep your chin up, things will get better! Delilah could be a movie star!!!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] that sounds like a good program, but that's not what I'm in! In order to get into the nursing program at the school I want to go to, you have to already have your CNA license, so that's why I'm doing it.

Delilah being a movie star would be reaaaallly awesome....(:

L

Lucy-licious

A CNA is the equivalent to a HCA (health care assistant) here in the UK. I tell you they sure make our jobs a lot easier, the support they give us is second to none. They are our eyes and ears at times when we are busy in emergency situations or with the other beurocratic bul*%#€ that Nurses here are having to deal with at the moment.
It is a very rewarding vocation and as that will eventually lead you into a nursing career then I shall keep my fingers and toes crossed and send you heaps of good vibes across the ocean xxx

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.