I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default I'm looking for something good to read

Because I have been writing academic stuff lately, I have not read for pleasure in roughly 5 years...and I'm dying to reading something good! But I am so out of touch with the non-academic book world!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I want something that is just enjoyable, pleasure reading - I don't know where to start!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Lucy-licious

Default Re: I'm looking for something good to read

If you like light hearted funny books. Sophie Kinsella's shopaholic range are great "summer reads" she does a few others too that are good my particular favourite was "Twenties Girl" a young woman haunted by her mischievous grandmothers ghost
    Something more meaty Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta range are enthralling and will have you flicking pages and reading for hours without realising. They're about a coroner and the cases that enter her life affecting everything she does.
    The Harry Potter books well what can I say I am a total fan, I have the whole series of books 4 times paperback, hardback children's cover, hard back adult cover, and special edition leather bound I know SAD but who cares
    Other than these I just get funny summer reads that while away a day at the beach, not great but who cares when theres lots of eye-candy to pretend not to notice :bust:

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan... Her books are so engaging and touch on very real topics. She wrote "My Sister's Keeper" which was made into a movie ... But the book was wayyyy better!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Books are always so much better than the movie....did you ever get on board with the Twilight series? I only picked it up because of all the hype and loved it.

I agree with @Libra926, Patricia Cornwell is good for mystery. I made the mistake of heading off to college in the middle of her books. lol So I am now lost and feel I just need to start all over from Book 1, not that they are exact sequel's to each other, just little tidbits of Scarpetta's life is continued.

Always with me

Kennel Cleaner
    Real Name
    Rosita
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brewer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Because I have been writing academic stuff lately, I have not read for pleasure in roughly 5 years...and I'm dying to reading something good! But I am so out of touch with the non-academic book world!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I want something that is just enjoyable, pleasure reading - I don't know where to start!

I am a huge fan of james peterson. Right now I am reading the Alex cross series. The first two books are along came a spider and kiss the girls. If you are familiar with the names those are two awesome movies (in my opinion).

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@sitartzm I love James Patterson too!! I've read many of his books too! I love Alex Cross. Also working on the Women's Murder Club series. Great books! Some of his other types are good too ... Like "Sam's Letters to Jennifer"
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I like Jodi Picoult as well (don't know if that is the right spelling) but I REALLY loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Stig Larson. They were a great read. I am into historical fiction. My nook is floating around the house right now but when I see it I will post a few good titles if you are into that.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

Patricia cornwell loves bullies! I haven't read any of her books though. She donated thousands of dollars to the phoenix bulldog club a few years ago. I have a Jodi piccoult book right now, haven't gotten into it yet though. The last book I read and really LOVED was the time traveler's wife.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

Also, I really recommend the shack if you are Christian. That was an incredible book. Promise not to tell by Jennifer McMahon was pretty good. Like someone above said (I'm on tapatalk so I can't see) James Patterson is excellent. I love his older books that all have nursery rhymeish titles, like along came a spider, cradle and all, along came a spider, etc... If you like CIA type thrillers, I enjoy Harlan Coben's books.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

Oops that was redundant.

Kennel Cleaner
    Real Name
    Rosita
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brewer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunksmama View Post
    @sitartzm I love James Patterson too!! I've read many of his books too! I love Alex Cross. Also working on the Women's Murder Club series. Great books! Some of his other types are good too ... Like "Sam's Letters to Jennifer"
    Im almost done with the alex cross series so I will deffinatley move on to a different series by him.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sitartzm View Post
    Im almost done with the alex cross series so I will deffinatley move on to a different series by him.
    I was eyeing the alex cross series on my nook the other day. I downloaded a sample to read a chapter or so to see if I would get hooked. lol. If I have the time, I can get through a book a day so it is nice to see your suggestions!

Remove Ads