Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
This is sort of about dogs and sort of not. I am a little allergic to the dander and fur on my dog. I wanted to ask if any of you have any recommendations for a good vacuum cleaner that will help me out with that. I have read about some with hepa filters and some that supposedly pick up more pet hair than others.... What has worked best in your home?

Thanks!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We have a dyson for pets and I love it! We have hardwood floor and tile In our house, the only carpet we have are area rugs. I steam mop the floors bout once a week and vac and dust every other day or so. And I also deep clean the area rugs frequently. Also carpets and upholstered furniture collect alot of allergens that cause allergies. Since we took all carpet out and only have one chair thats upholstered my allergies are so much better!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We have a Dyson but not the one for pets. I don't think Dysons are all that they say they are for what you pay for them. Ours is good on carpet tho.... not great but good. We have an OLD Sears combo canister/powerhead that I think vacuums rings around the Dyson but its so old that the hoses are more duct tape than hose.. LOL I think Lari would like to throw it out but I keep telling her how great it is.... Ive only had it about 30 years.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have an oreck..I really like it and my family thinks I'm vacuum cleaner obsessed!! :blush2: it does have bags..which I know are old school..but then..so am I!! :lol: I am on my 3rd oreck..in fact..gave my old one to one of my daughters and took the oldest to our mountain place. The newest I just got at Costco..I also steam mop..errr...love my steam mop!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have a Dyson for pets and I love it. The hose does sometimes still get clogged, but I have two St. Bernard's who shed like crazy, so I can't always use the attachments, but it is one of the first ones they came out with a few years ago. Would love to get another one, then I could keep one on the lower level and one on the main level. Dyson's are quite heavy to lug up and down stairs. I would love to have a steam mop, in fact, I'm thinking that's what will go on my Christmas list this year.

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
We have an oreck..I really like it and my family thinks I'm vacuum cleaner obsessed!! :blush2: it does have bags..which I know are old school..but then..so am I!! :lol: I am on my 3rd oreck..in fact..gave my old one to one of my daughters and took the oldest to our mountain place. The newest I just got at Costco..I also steam mop..errr...love my steam mop!!

My mom swears by the orecks too.. so that might be what I end up with. I have heard some good things about the dysons too. Maybe I need to look into the steam mop thing as well! I had the carpets cleaned professionally about a month ago, and I have an air purifier for the allergens... but all the hair is about to kill me!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh I shopped around like crazy before getting ours cuz I wanted the dyson but couldnt see spending that kinda money. And I was so tired of getting cheap vacuums that broke a year later. I ended up with the bissell healthy home and LOVE it! Amazon.com: Bissell 5770 Healthy Home Bagless Upright Vacuum: Home & Garden Dont know if it is as good as the dyson but have had it for about 4 years and it cleans the carpet VERY well. Only complaints I was able to find at the time were 1) it is too heavy to push around. Doesnt bother me. And 2) The cord was rough to wind up on your hand, lol very weird.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
I have the Bissel PROliteĀ® MultiCyclonic Vacuum and it has worked wonders for me. I have severe allergies and all carpets in my house and this is just amazing...it even picks up dog food if your bully is like mine and will take a mouth full and trail it all through out the house lol. It's a cheaper vacuum, has tons of power and is so light that you can carry it up and down the stairs :)

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne2 064.jpg we have a Dyson animal and I LOVE IT!!!!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I love our Dyson pet model.... pricey, but the best vacuum I have ever owned. It has to be about 10 years old and has never lost suction/power, and no bands or bags to replace.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I use a Dyson and an Oreck. I am a big fan of Oreck-- it is light to carry and does a nice job overall. Having both I feel like the Dyson does a little bit better job deep cleaning and getting up all of the dog hair. Lucy and I have allergies so I am crazed about running the vac at least every other day.

I use my Oreck for quick clean ups like on the hardwood or tile floor( fits nicely under the kitchen cabinets) but for my carpets I feel I get the best results with the Dyson.

Maybe you have to get TWO!! Just kidding-- I don't want to poo poo on the Oreck because it is a good machine--but if you can handle a vac that is three times as heavy and a little more money you will not be unsatisfied with the cleaning power of a Dyson. Also I like the telescoping want on the Dyson--you can clean your steps without the machine tipping over. Great feature.

Good Luck--let us know what you decide.

Has anyone who owns a Dyson use the new attachment that you can brush your dog and suck up the hair all in one shot? I think my Lucy would have a heart attack since she is afraid of the vac--but it is a good idea!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am with [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]. I have an older (well, about 7 years) sears canister vac that is better than ANY other vacuum I have ever had. I also have a Bissel because I thought I would "upgrade" and it doesn't work half as well. I mainly just use it on the stairs now. lol

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I have a Sear (Kenmore) cannister vac and LOVE IT! Anyone have suggestions on hand vacs? I had a Shark one and it was pretty good but really don't have anything to compare it to ...

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.