Leasing vs financing - What's your preference?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thinking of getting a new car. Would you lease or finance? I was more into financing because, in the end, it's cheaper. But now more leaning towards leasing to free up some cash flow. It's tough growing up! :yes:

L

Lucy-licious

Not sure if leasing would work the same there as here but I lease and it's super good.
I have 1 payment a month, my car is maintained for me services, repairs etc...it's insured for both me and Chris and it's taxed for me too. I have a Mini Cooper S and had I bought it myself and taxed and insured it etc it would cost me £1,800 a year more :)
I love it too best car ever :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I used to work in the car business. I prefer leasing and the only way you get penalized on the mileage is if 1) You stop leasing the car and go somewhere else to get another car or 2) If you stop leasing and dont purchase the car or get another lease. Does that make sense?

To better explain: Say you lease a car and at the end of 36 mos, you dont lease another car or purchase the lease one then you would have to pay for overages on your miles.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
I think Im gonna lease my next one.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
And Im pretty sure you dont pay personal property taxes yearly on leases.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We have one car we purchased and one we lease. I have to say that leasing is the way to go for us. By the time we pay a car that we bought off, we end up trading in for a new one! We pay MUCH less for the lease and at the end of the term, we can take it back and lease a new one. I have been trying to decide if we want to trade my (financed) car in for a lease since our payments would be about $300 a month less. You do have to carry some extra coverage for insurance, but we do that anyway. My husband's (leased) Honda Accord is only $200 a month. My (financed) Honda Odyssey is $600 a month.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I leased a truck a few years ago with the intention of purchasing it after the lease was over. It cost us SO MUCH MORE. But, at the time it was what worked for us. Plus, if you lease...you are paying $$$$$ every month and you will never own it. Leasing it and turning it in to lease again?....How many years are you going to do that? If you choose to purchase and you get a good interest rate...you own the car free and clear after 5 or 6 years. Then, no more payments. But, if you lease.....you always have a great running new car. No hassles.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I don't like having mileage restrictions, and even though your paying less per month with a lease, I like the idea of owning the car or trading it in for cash towards another car if I want something new

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We put too many miles on our cars..this is Los Angeles after all...and we always keep them a couple years after they are paid off. We tried leasing once..while it works for most people..not us!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I leased once many many many years ago when it was a fairly new option. I got burned big time. My needs changed before the lease was up and when I wanted to trade up it cost me 2 grand because that's how much more I owed on the lease agreement than what the car was worth. NEVER again.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We have always bought our cars because I LOVE the idea of paying it off and not having a payment for years. Although never having leased I dont know the upside to that to compare.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I guess the general consensus is to look at the contract and decide which is better for YOU. For us, we just traded cars in as soon as they were paid off so, what was the point of buying and paying more?? It is just better for us.

You may keep a car longer and so buying would be better for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.