Head gasket's blown =(. What else to expect down the road.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Noticed the temp gauge on my car shoot up when it was idling a couple of days ago so I took it in for service. They said that the head gasket's blown. :*(. It's going to cost us $1600 plus taxes to fix. This is the first ever big repair on my poor broken car. Oh well, it was bound to happen because it already has 284,000 kms on it.

Does anyone have experience on what problems may happen later on because of this, even after it's fixed? Do you recommend getting another vehicle? The mech said that they're going to thoroughly check everything and that I shouldn't get the same problem but I'm a little hesitant.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
no experience personally. Im sorry, it so sucks when the cars have to get major repairs. Just hope you have a good, trustworthy mechanic. That is the challenge. If you have a good one they will be able to tell you what to expect later if anything.

L

Lucy-licious

In my own personal experience once a car has a major breakdown it tends to escalate from there in.
We had a lovely pergeot 306 years ago :luv: it was our 1st family car chosen for the boot space...it fitted my big buggy in :) 4yrs later the electrics went and then the clutch, then the catalytic convertor. ££££££ flew from my purse to keep it road worthy until I finally decided would be cheaper to get a new car. My poor car was sold for spares or repair :(

So I guess I'm saying your car might be on it's way out !! Cut and run is my advise, get a new car :)

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I am sorry to hear about your car. Think of it this way, how much is your car worth?? Is the repairs more than it is worth?? I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I needed a new family car for all the kids (fur and skin) anyways. My car wasn't worth it. I ended up getting my version of a "mini van". That is my advice to you. Good luck on what to do next. Here is my "family" vehicle.

my baby by Britajsmommy2011, on Flickr

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh man @ savemejeebus..I hate car problems. 284,000 miles..that is awesome. We have a 2004 tahoe that just had to have $1800.00 in repairs. Only 75000 miles..but just out of warranty. We bought another extension on warranty about 3 months before it crapped. So for once we were ok..but the dang warranty costs a lot. We came out ahead..but makes me mad..car wasn't driven hard and I would've loved to get the miles you have. I say..get a new car. If you are like us..once big repairs start it keeps happening..besides our economy needs your $$$$$.....:yes:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would get another car. I did have a head gasket blow on a car, and it is major engine work. BUT for us, my dad was a mechanic so he fixed it and that car ran for quite a while after.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.