Whats for dinner tonight?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think this will be a fun and helpful one since a lot of us sit there trying to come up with a new idea and end up eating the same ol' stuff. Tonight we are having a grilled london broil that has been marinating in a korean sauce made with soy. Last night we just had a lazy night so it was good ol' salmon patties with lemon, yum! Nice and easy. ;) What is on everyone elses lists for dinner?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Great conversation idea, one of the things I love most in the world FOOD!! That sounds good, sounds like how my mom and I do london broil. Marinaded in half italian dressing half soy sauce. Tonight I am making chicken salad. Dave BBQs the chicken, brushs it with teriyaki sauce. I make the salad which is the bagged coleslaw (red/green cabbage, carrots), toasted almonds, those crunchy chow mein noodles, green onions, broccoli (I put it in the food processor so its in very little pieces) and tossed with kraft's asian sesame dressing. So good! We both love it, its the lazy version of my mom's cabbage crunch salad that Dave goes crazy for. It's summertime and I'll trying to be good, trying to make low fat/calorie dinners.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Yum that salad sounds delish! I am a basic ranch salad person but you may have me wanting to try this one. Half italian and soy, interesting combination. Have used italian dressing for steaks but never thought of combining, maybe will give that a try. I was planning on grocery shopping today but got behind and Sierra needed her nap so now maybe I can get some good ideas for my next trip. What are other fav dinner ideas?

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Bubba Burgers!!! Have you ever had a Bubba Burger? Super target has them, and almost anywhere east coast. Hard to get here is AZ, but man- worth the long drive to Super Target to get 6 boxes of them!!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well dont leave me hanging what is a bubba burger? Will have to check out target and see if I can find them. That good huh?

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Scrumptious! Best on the grill, we use seasoning salt (preferably mccormick seasonall) and splash some beer on it while they are grilling....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my, I got a ton of great recipes to share. You all gonna make me type them all out for you!? LOL

I will dig a few up. Some of my favs!!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
So tonight I am thinking of throwing together a salad using the leftover london broil. :) Tomorrow is shopping day tho so more ideas are needed before I go and get my groceries.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you like REAL salsa? We have an "adopted" daughter from Mexico and she taught Lisa how to make real salsa. I love it :)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I do! Have a few salsa recipes but am always in search of the best one. ;) I have my tomato and jalepeno plants growin so soon I can make it with my fresh ingredients even. :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Today's recipe: Chicken & Dumplings

1 whole chicken
1 large onion
6 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
for the dumplings:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
other:
7 tablespoons butter
10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
3 ribs celery cut in 1/2-inch pieces on the diagonal
4 carrots peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces on the diagonal
1 large onion cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

1 Cut chicken backs, necks, and wings into 1-inch pieces.
2 For the broth: In a large pot, combine the chicken, onions, water, bay leaves, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is tender. (About 45 minutes) Remove the chicken pieces and set aside. Discard the chicken backs, necks, and wings. When the chicken pieces have cooled, remove the meat from the bones in chunks and set aside. Discard the skin and bones. Strain the broth and discard the vegetables.
3 Prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together. In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the butter and milk to a simmer. Stir the butter and milk mixture into the dry ingredients with a fork and stir until the mixture just comes together. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into long 1-inch wide strips. Transfer to a large plate or baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
4 In the cleaned Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden-brown, 3-4 minutes. While whisking, add the wine, the reserved chicken broth, Essence, and thyme. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, then add the celery, carrots, and onion. Cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Add the reserved chicken meat, heavy cream, and peas. Season with salt (if necessary), and add black pepper to taste.
5 Place the dumplings on top of the chicken mixture and gently stir into the hot liquid. Cover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Gently stir in the parsley. Serve in large soup bowls.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (or Bayou Blast) below:

use with Emeril's New Orleans Style Jambalaya or Chicken & Dumplings

2.5 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs cayenne pepper
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs dried thyme

add together in a spice container. It is spicy, but good!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! Can you come cook for me? I am tired thinking about all that. ;) Looks YUMMY!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Authentic Salsa recipe:

4 Tomatos
1-2 Jalepenos (stems removed only)
Cilantro
Salt
Onion

Boil 1-2 Jalepenos (depending on how hot you want it) until they change to an opaque shade of their original color. Add 4 tomatos and make sure the water covers the tops of the tomatos. Boil until the skin starts to separate from the tomato. Scoop out the peppers and Tomatos and put in blender. Put several leaves of fresh cilantro (to taste, I use tons cuz I love cilantro) in the blender and sprinkle with salt. Blend for about 10-15 seconds

Dice up half a small yellow onion. Add to blended mixture. Cool in refridgerator for 30 mins or more and stir.

**tips: I have used other peppers as well. Last year I had 5 different types of pepper plants: habenero, jalepeno, salsa, yellow grandes and cerrano. I boiled these all together in a pot, and blended them. I put the mix into ice cube trays. Now I have "pepper cubes" that I can use for cooking. I just add one of these cubes to 4 tomatos, thus bypassing the pepper boiling step. It is also 100X more delicious, and the mixture of pepper flavors is wonderful!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online