What does everyone use to clean their floors?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Since it seems that most of us have tile or wood flooring I am curious what everyone thinks is the best cleaner. I have used many and found that the best thing that seems to work for us so far is just hot water with vinegar. Leaves no residue whatsoever and really gets the grime. Now my grout was never sealed by the previous owners so that is a mess and I have no idea what to do about that one. I have used grout cleaners and toothbrush which does work but really when most of your house is tile you can only do so much without breaking your back. Have never actually gotten further than the kitchen doing that. Any ideas?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have that laminate wood flooring so I always use pinesol, they have a couple wood safe cleaners. So I have no problems with grout but my mom and mother-in-law do and for them its just SCRUB like crazy! I feel bad for you, I know its back breaking! They both told me if we ever put tile in the house use a darker grout and make the grout lines as small as possible. I like the vinegar idea, I like the idea of cleaning with more natural products. Wonder if that would work for my floor???

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I bet it would but I would look it up online first to make sure. I think I use 1/2 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water. I like it cuz 1. its cheap and 2. it really does the best so far. As for grout yeah I think we will have to hire someone at some point. I hate it and our tile is a dark grey stone looking tile with a light grey grout. Well some parts are still light grey. ;)

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
ooooh, i've used water and vinegar to clean my windows and it works great, but never thought to use it on my floor! i'm gonna try it, it's so cheap and so much better for the environment and our family than those harsh cleaners!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Doesn't vinegar and water make your house smell? Just wondering....

I have laminate (faux wood) floors. You MUST dry them after mopping or there will be streaks. You cannot use any soaps or anything on them. I have the Shark steam mop, which works pretty well, but I still get streaks from that too. So the best way is wetmop following with a towel dry. Thank goodness I get my kids to do the towel part!!! :p

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Actually no the vinegar doesnt smell once it dries. I was worried about that also. I also have the shark steamer but doesnt work for me cuz our tiles are made to look like stone and have lots of crevices where the steam mop actually pushes the dirt to. Unfortunately cuz I have it now just sitting there.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will try the vinegar & water all over the house! Thank you so much for giving us this tip.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I like to spread cold chicken soup on my floor and I just wait for Vegas and Orion to do the work. It takes awhile, but they get it done. I do my dishes this way also. ;)

Swiffer!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL too funny!! This tecnique has worked for me when the babies throw food on the floor! I have actually slipped and fell on my arse before from bully slobber in front of sedona's high chair!!!

On another note- regarding vinegar and water- my oldest son keeps getting heat rash. As each day goes by, it seems to get worse. If he gets hot- he gets rash on his face, chest& back. Chip posted on facebook about this, and got several responses, and one of them was take a bath in vinegar & water, which will restore the natural ph in the skin and kill any fungus on the skin ( which could be the source of the heat rash). We are going to try this today. Hope it works.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW very interesting desertsky. I am thinking maybe we should buy stock in vinegar! hehe. Apparently it has no limits to what it can do.
Libra you are TOO funny!!!! Cutty keeps our kitchen clean that way also, can lick for hours it seems like if I dont stop him but somehow the floor is still dirty.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I mainly use the wet mop swiffer thing... it's OK..but everyone once in a while I have to get down on the hands and knees and scrub with ammonia water. I hate cleaning the floors :p

LuvBully26

Mar 8, 2010
Henderson. NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Buda,Bentley,Bella,Diesel, & Gia
I use a floor cleaner that's free of chemicals and safe for pets. I purchase the bottle from Whole Foods its not expensive about $5 you mix it with water.
I will get the exact name and brand if anyone wants to try it.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I sometimes use vinegar && water. My mommy taught me that secret! ;)
If not then I Love using Fabuloso! It works soo well && smell Mmmm!!! :D

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Havent tried fabuloso but I have heard it smells yummy. Maybe I will have to buy some. :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I decided today to let O clean the windows. She was working like crazy on the slider. I decided this might not work though. She's about a nickel high and I can't have only 1/8th of it licked clean. Maybe I need to borrow a great dane to finish off the rest.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.