ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just got a call late yesterday that my brother's dog (French Bulldog names Neo) was bitten by a copperhead... he spent the night at the ER, and he's home now resting. HOPEFULLY out of the woods, but still on antibiotics & pain meds.

They live in Georgia, and unfortunately deal w/snakes on a regular basis. Does anyone have advice on what actually works to KEEP snakes out of your yard?!! I heard mothballs, round-up, ammonia or white vinegar... I was just curious as to what works. It would obviously have to be dog "friendly" since Neo now has a privacy fence in the backyard.

Thanks for ANY and all advice/tips... we are all pretty shook up about this :fie:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little dog. Hope ge will soon be fine again.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
So sorry for the poor little dog. We have a lot of snakes here as we live on water and State of Florida conservation land. If he was bitten around his own house, the best you can really do is to try to keep clear things under which snakes hide in or under. A few years ago we had a snake lay a very large nest nest of eggs underneath a storage chest that we had outside our lanai. We only knew because we saw the mother slithering out from under there. When we moved the storage chest they were about 15 eggs, shaped almost like bullets about the very same size as a very small chicken egg. Fortunately for us it was a non-venomous snake. We have to be very careful around here because we have both water moccasins and rattlesnakes. As far as weā€™ve been able to see there is no way to get rid of them except to be very vigilant. There are people here who do wildlife rescue and will try to capture the venomous snakes and remove. The trick is finding them. Iā€™m glad the pup is OK. The snakes are one of my biggest fears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry for the poor little dog. We have a lot of snakes here as we live on water and State of Florida conservation land. If he was bitten around his own house, the best you can really do is to try to keep clear things under which snakes hide in or under. A few years ago we had a snake lay a very large nest nest of eggs underneath a storage chest that we had outside our lanai. We only knew because we saw the mother slithering out from under there. When we moved the storage chest they were about 15 eggs, shaped almost like bullets about the very same size as a very small chicken egg. Fortunately for us it was a non-venomous snake. We have to be very careful around here because we have both water moccasins and rattlesnakes. As far as weā€™ve been able to see there is no way to get rid of them except to be very vigilant. There are people here who do wildlife rescue and will try to capture the venomous snakes and remove. The trick is finding them. Iā€™m glad the pup is OK. The snakes are one of my biggest fears.

He's doing okay... but I guess the worst part is they didn't find/see the snake. So NOW they are removing the ground cover that they had around their shed because that was where he was bitten.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's doing okay... but I guess the worst part is they didn't find/see the snake. So NOW they are removing the ground cover that they had around their shed because that was where he was bitten.

Lewis said carry a 22 when in the yard.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lewis said carry a 22 when in the yard.

Hilariously enough... they called me yesterday afternoon, they found the snake (he had a hole by their shed) and my brother killed it w/a pellet gun!!! Lol Neo is doing great, he's going to make a full recovery, Thank Goodness!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hilariously enough... they called me yesterday afternoon, they found the snake (he had a hole by their shed) and my brother killed it w/a pellet gun!!! Lol Neo is doing great, he's going to make a full recovery, Thank Goodness!!!

Thank goodness he is recovering!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Get a bag of Mongeeses. Donā€™t ask how to get rid of a Mongeese.
:no:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
On a more serious note...I hope the little feller gets better quicklike...very lucky to have survived.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
On a more serious note...I hope the little feller gets better quicklike...very lucky to have survived.

He seems to be doing fine... he was extremely lucky!!!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

OMG!! Such Wonderful News!! :heart::heart::heart:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Moving...I suggest moving. Itā€™s really the only logical thing to do. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online