Benadryl linked to dementia

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Interesting article. That's only with long term use. Benadryl short term is perfectly safe, but I wouldn't use it long term anyways because it's fairly short acting and who wants to keep dosing their dog with antihistamines 2-3 times a day. Unfortunately very few bulldogs live long enough to even develop dementia, since they usually live to about 10-12 years of age on average.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There were a few dogs that lives with dementia on here. But yes, definitely itā€™s not a solution giving Benadryl daily long term...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I stopped using Benadryl a couple of years ago... my allergist had alerted me to the same article. Now me AND Walter take XYZAL and it's worked great for both of us!!!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I stopped using Benadryl a couple of years ago... my allergist had alerted me to the same article. Now me AND Walter take XYZAL and it's worked great for both of us!!!

That tornado got us worried as you n a few live in that area it hit. So glad you answered :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I stopped giving Monty Benedryl when I first read this a couple of years or so ago. Apparently, with this class of drugs, the effects are cumulative so I didn't want to take any chances. Monty suffered from Sundowners (a form of dementia) towards the end of his life. Of course, I don't know the cause, if any, but it certainly made me think I may have contributed to it. I also used to take it at night to help me sleep.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I stopped giving Monty Benedryl when I first read this a couple of years or so ago. Apparently, with this class of drugs, the effects are cumulative so I didn't want to take any chances. Monty suffered from Sundowners (a form of dementia) towards the end of his life. Of course, I don't know the cause, if any, but it certainly made me think I may have contributed to it. I also used to take it at night to help me sleep.

You canā€™t blame yourself as very often side effects are ā€œnotā€ always given out to the public as pharmaceuticals will go belly up faster. Glad youā€™re not taking it for sleeping anymore :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Epidemiological studies like this are considered very weak compared to randomized control trials. eg. a strong proof of Benadryl causality would be if I took a group of 200 patients randomly chosen and gave half Benadryl and half Claritin every day for 10 years and then compared them at the end. There's too many variables that can't be controlled in these epidemiological trials. But, having said that, I still believe there is some proof of anticholinergic drugs causing dementia, since there's also a physiological biochemical explanation for the anticholinergics causing dementia, so I would avoid them if possible. eg. take cetirizine instead of diphenhydramine, ssri antidepressant instead of a tricyclic antidepressant, a sympathomimetic drug for overactive bladder ( myrbetriq ) instead of an anticholinergic one, etc.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Just dawned on me, I was working at this big health food store that holds my product n I saw a friend of mine shopping there. She had this magnesium powder drink. Asked her how she feels using it n she said she feels calmer n sleeps better. Then I asked the manager whoā€™s also a friend n she said she sells a lot of it as customers love it... just a thought...

https://naturalcalm.ca/product/natural-calm-magnesium-citrate-powder/

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That tornado got us worried as you n a few live in that area it hit. So glad you answered :)

Sorry about that... my phone was blowing up all day long!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Just dawned on me, I was working at this big health food store that holds my product n I saw a friend of mine shopping there. She had this magnesium powder drink. Asked her how she feels using it n she said she feels calmer n sleeps better. Then I asked the manager whoā€™s also a friend n she said she sells a lot of it as customers love it... just a thought...

Or just smoke a joint [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

I will check that out. Thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My chiropractor always recommended that to all his patients. I had it, but couldn't tolerate the taste. So just couldn't take it(probably what's wrong with me!
***;)Just looked at the link-I see they have flavors,now!!(Thank God!)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My chiropractor always recommended that to all his patients. I had it, but couldn't tolerate the taste. So just couldn't take it(probably what's wrong with me!
***;)Just looked at the link-I see they have flavors,now!!(Thank God!)

Magnesium relaxes muscles. Better to take it at night before bed as magnesium also can make you go :potty::potty::potty::potty:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.