FWIW...I’m finally Cable free...whoohooo!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My bill had gotten out of hand $236.00/month...and internet was sketchy at best. Signed up for Verizon Fios and added SlingTV. It works great and it’s less than 1/2 what I was paying.
COX Communications can shove this hardware where the sun don’t shine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
NICE!!!!

We are trying... lessening our access this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
As SOON as my grandson goes home, we are cutting the cord as well!!! Our bill is ridiculous, and we honestly don't watch that much TV...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The cost of cable is ridiculous. We pay over $200 a month and probably watch the same 5 channels. Nothing is ever on. Eventually we will start cutting back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We keep talking about it as the cost is ridiculous but we are a bit technically challenged so not sure where to start! I did cancel my cell phone with ATT and saved $60 of my total cable bill. That helped. I got something instead called PureTalk that costs $29 for more texts, data etc so I am still ahead of the game a bit and it uses the ATT network anyway! ATT was getting an extra $30 from me for nothing!

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We keep talking about it as the cost is ridiculous but we are a bit technically challenged
Here's what I did...
We have been using AppleTVs(2 of them), Amazon FireStick(1) and Amazon FireCube(1) for quite some time so we are pretty familiar with their use. I our home they all run on a wireless Internet connection (a good wireless router required).
Once I decided to get rid of cable I bit the bullet and signed up with both Hulu and SlingTV. I use both at present but will eventually turn off the Hulu and stick with only SlingTV. I will have Sling Orange and Blue($35.00) and Netflix($12.99) each per month. This is on top of the $69.99 for Verizon Fios. Total with taxes and Modem rental is less than $130. A bit more than half of what I was paying but with many more channels options(sports and movies)...and not so much junk I'll never watch.
I signed up for Fios because the fiber optic cable can stream way more data than cable and is way more reliable. Wirelessly, I'm downloading nearly 300Mb/sec. The best I ever got from Cable was about 40. Wired is even better...500+ Mb/sec. IMO, unless you have a reliable and fast data supply cable may be your best bet.
Once the Fios was connected I tried streaming TV and once I realized how easy it was, I gathered up all of my Cable accessories and made my way to COX Cable to return it and cut off my service...my extremely unreliable service. Good riddance!
The only caveat was that I lost my email addresses that I have had for the past 20+ years. In preparation, I moved all of my accounts, contacts, etc over to an icloud.com account well in advance of cutting Cable off.
If you have any questions please ask. I'll do my best to answer for you. If you'd rather speak 1 on 1 just PM me.
Never looking back...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here's what I did...
We have been using AppleTVs(2 of them), Amazon FireStick(1) and Amazon FireCube(1) for quite some time so we are pretty familiar with their use. I our home they all run on a wireless Internet connection (a good wireless router required).
Once I decided to get rid of cable I bit the bullet and signed up with both Hulu and SlingTV. I use both at present but will eventually turn off the Hulu and stick with only SlingTV. I will have Sling Orange and Blue($35.00) and Netflix($12.99) each per month. This is on top of the $69.99 for Verizon Fios. Total with taxes and Modem rental is less than $130. A bit more than half of what I was paying but with many more channels options(sports and movies)...and not so much junk I'll never watch.
I signed up for Fios because the fiber optic cable can stream way more data than cable and is way more reliable. Wirelessly, I'm downloading nearly 300Mb/sec. The best I ever got from Cable was about 40. Wired is even better...500+ Mb/sec. IMO, unless you have a reliable and fast data supply cable may be your best bet.
Once the Fios was connected I tried streaming TV and once I realized how easy it was, I gathered up all of my Cable accessories and made my way to COX Cable to return it and cut off my service...my extremely unreliable service. Good riddance!
The only caveat was that I lost my email addresses that I have had for the past 20+ years. In preparation, I moved all of my accounts, contacts, etc over to an icloud.com account well in advance of cutting Cable off.
If you have any questions please ask. I'll do my best to answer for you. If you'd rather speak 1 on 1 just PM me.
Never looking back...

Unfortunate, due to some darn restrictions, we will not have FIOS anytime soon so we have to use Comcast cable which is not that great. if we could get FIOS, we'd most likely do exactly what you did and go all streaming.
We have slowly scaled back... We have DirectTv, which we do like, reliable and CS has always been great until ATT bought them out.. now it sucks. We sent back four of the boxes and got Firesticks. We use Netflick, the stick for other stuff and DirectTv is now about 125 a month, about half what it was before.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. Thanks, Chip. Unfortunately, we don't have Verizon FIOS in this part of the country. I will look and see if there is something similar. We have a Smart TV and have Netflix and Prime and watch both of them a lot. There are only a few regular channels that we watch, half of them News type Channels and those less and less! The time is coming to cut the cable for sure.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Here's what I did...
Never looking back...

I want to do this SO bad... my problem is finding the time to put into investigating what would be the best deal for us.

We bundled our cell phones, internet and TV service thru AT&T... and now we have this GINORMOUS bill!!! Living in the sticks means our options are very limited... Google Fiber is coming our here soon supposedly!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I want to do this SO bad... my problem is finding the time to put into investigating what would be the best deal for us.

We bundled our cell phones, internet and TV service thru AT&T... and now we have this GINORMOUS bill!!! Living in the sticks means our options are very limited... Google Fiber is coming our here soon supposedly!!!

That is what we have. Check my post above about cell phones. I was paying $30 to ATT for nothing and I have no complaints at all about my new service, they use the ATT network.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is what we have. Check my post above about cell phones. I was paying $30 to ATT for nothing and I have no complaints at all about my new service, they use the ATT network.

We have 4 smart phones on our plan, and with everything bundled its supposedly a "great deal". Maybe initially, but now the fees have gone WAY up... I'm starting the investigative purge this week!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We have 4 smart phones on our plan, and with everything bundled its supposedly a "great deal". Maybe initially, but now the fees have gone WAY up... I'm starting the investigative purge this week!!!

Yes, and every year you have to call them up and beg them to lower the bill! It's becoming really absurd.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL...My former cable provider, COX, mailed me a post card with an offer for 40% off services for a year. I used it to scoop up a Lala turd on my deck...Lala’s “poopdeck” whenever it’s raining.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL...My former cable provider, COX, mailed me a post card with an offer for 40% off services for a year. I used it to scoop up a Lala turd on my deck...Lala’s “poopdeck” whenever it’s raining.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: About all it was fit for I would say!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.