Can Anyone Help to identfy bird's nest and UNHATCHED egg

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all....I was just walking Joey in the yard and came across this perfect nest and egg. We've had bad wind here the last day so must have blown out of bush close by or....somewhere else.

Any idea what kind of bird this came from? What should I do? I don't want it getting taken by other animal or anything, can I save it?

Thanks in advance!

Birds Nest.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It looks like it could be a Towhee's nest. They usually have nests fairly low to the ground...was it near a bush somewhere? You could try placing it somewhere up higher.
I found a nest one time, but a few eggs were already hatched,and I brought it in and raised the babies in the kitchen!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
It looks like it could be a Towhee's nest. They usually have nests fairly low to the ground...was it near a bush somewhere? You could try placing it somewhere up higher.
I found a nest one time, but a few eggs were already hatched,and I brought it in and raised the babies in the kitchen!

Thanks! Yes, near a bush, maybe got blown out from under ?? OMG I don't know the first thing to do IF I bring it inside.....it's getting pretty cold here overnight....uggggg.....maybe I will just put high up in the burning bush....that's the bush it's close too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello all....I was just walking Joey in the yard and came across this perfect nest and egg. We've had bad wind here the last day so must have blown out of bush close by or....somewhere else.

Any idea what kind of bird this came from? What should I do? I don't want it getting taken by other animal or anything, can I save it?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 117667

Call AARK... they are in Chalfont area and will help you identify and tell you where to place it. Iā€™m there dropping off animals or calling for advice constantly. [emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.aark.org/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Beautiful bird's nest! Looks like it's lined with white hair... bulldog hair?! When we brush Castor we leave the fur balls on bushes and trees so that birds will hopefully pick up the hair for their nests!

Is there some local bird rescue organisation that you can contact that might be able to help the eggs? I've called such an organisation here on several occasions when I've found injured birds - once when we even found an exhausted (and apparently disoriented) racing pigeon sitting in the middle of the street.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Call AARK... they are in Chalfont area and will help you identify and tell you where to place it. Iā€™m there dropping off animals or calling for advice constantly. [emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.aark.org/

Ah, yes, that was the kind of organisation I meant! Missed your response!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, yes, that was the kind of organisation I meant! Missed your response!

No worries... AARK is awesome ! We have taken, many many birds, toads, frogs, and our petsitter found an Injured owl and took them there

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Beautiful bird's nest! Looks like it's lined with white hair... bulldog hair?! When we brush Castor we leave the fur balls on bushes and trees so that birds will hopefully pick up the hair for their nests!

Is there some local bird rescue organisation that you can contact that might be able to help the eggs? I've called such an organisation here on several occasions when I've found injured birds - once when we even found an exhausted (and apparently disoriented) racing pigeon sitting in the middle of the street.

Might be Joey fur...LOL...BUT there is some weed around here blowing fuzzy things so maybe that too.....I will call AARK and see if they can tell me what to do. SUCH great people here with ALL the best advice. Thanks!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh GOSH... I know at the SOS house where I volunteer many eggs left in nest were just babies that I guess never developed. The moms just left the eggs there, we had a BUNCH of nests in the ferns so I kept the ferns there (let them dry out) and NO babies!!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh GOSH... I know at the SOS house where I volunteer many eggs left in nest were just babies that I guess never developed. The moms just left the eggs there, we had a BUNCH of nests in the ferns so I kept the ferns there (let them dry out) and NO babies!!!

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been told mostly about this nest and egg, so...probably right. Iā€™ve learned so much from finding this little nest��

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.