sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh, lots of great recipes here. I had never heard of "Pork Flavored Stove Top Stuffing Mix". I looked it up and seems to be a ready-made mix of breadcrumbs and herbs? I have never seen readymade seasoned bread crumbs here!

A long time since I made meatloaf - will cook that this autumn and of course serve with pickled cucumbers!
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Great thread!

I'm loving it too! I have already started my EBN recipe file LOL I totally forgot that in Sweden and other parts of the world the ready made ingredients might not be available, bummer, because that's what makes it so easy and slices perfectly :)

You know we should take photos as we make try recipes....YES, that's what I am going to do :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks.....YOUR TURN....please :)

Dear Sue, may be you have your grandmaā€™s recipe of real Hungarian Strudel pastry? We spent several days in Budapest 3 years ago and though there was plenty of amazing food we tried (fois gra, bone marrow, goulash, amazing wines like Bykaver and Tokai etc) but as a woman my heart was broken by a cherry strudel:rolleyes:how do they make this pastry so thin and flaky...

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
... I totally forgot that in Sweden and other parts of the world the ready made ingredients might not be available....

No problem; over here we do things from scratch, he he. Just kidding; of course there are ready-made food products here too (although I've never seen bread crumble with herbs)! Will report back (with photo) when I've made the meatloaf, etc.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Dear Sue, may be you have your grandmaā€™s recipe of real Hungarian Strudel pastry? We spent several days in Budapest 3 years ago and though there was plenty of amazing food we tried (fois gra, bone marrow, goulash, amazing wines like Bykaver and Tokai etc) but as a woman my heart was broken by a cherry strudel:rolleyes:how do they make this pastry so thin and flaky...

Hi Natallia !! OMG how we all want to visit Budapest!! Our family name is famous there or sometimes (infamous), we always joke that when we do visit we will either get our family castle or go to jail LOL !!

Ohhhhhh sure!! Standby and I will look for it, scan it, and post. She was a wonderful baker!! One of my favorite treats (our Dad made every Christmas) was "Csoroge" or as we called them Hungarian Bows, fried batter was then sprinkled with powdered sugar, only at Christmas time. OK I will be back soon with the strudel recipe. Grandma (and Dad) always baked with lard....MAYBE that's the secret, I am a "learning baker" so that's just a guess.

Hope you will share some recipes and stories too :)

EDITED TO SAY: I called my older sister and she says the thinness and flakiness comes from stretching the dough. She has Grandma's recipes for baking and will as good as possible get the ingredients and instructions to me this evening.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
No problem; over here we do things from scratch, he he. Just kidding; of course there are ready-made food products here too (although I've never seen bread crumble with herbs)! Will report back (with photo) when I've made the meatloaf, etc.

LOL :) Well if you ever want to try the stuffing mix just let me know, I will air mail to you :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Maybe some has the traditional recipe for Hungarian goulash One of my favourite dishes but cant seem to find a decent recipe for it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Maybe some has the traditional recipe for Hungarian goulash One of my favourite dishes but cant seem to find a decent recipe for it.

I was about to ask the exact thing while reading the post .... goulash! So true I to canā€™t find one thatā€™s perfect.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL :) Well if you ever want to try the stuffing mix just let me know, I will air mail to you :)

We have the regular stove top stuffing but never seen the pork one. I make my own stuffing with pork sausage with apples. My daughter in law uses stove top stuffing.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] You know what, when I posted the recipe of Swedish cinnamon rolls, I totally forgot to mention that I sometimes call Castor 'lilla kanelbullen' (little cinnamon roll) as he sometimes lies all curled up, is brown and of course very sweet. In English this is even more fun as I might add that he has rolls!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] You know what, when I posted the recipe of Swedish cinnamon rolls, I totally forgot to mention that I sometimes call Castor 'lilla kanelbullen' (little cinnamon roll) as he sometimes lies all curled up, is brown and of course very sweet. In English this is even more fun as I might add that he has rolls!

OMG hysterical!! How funny that we refer to our bullies by food....I do the same, I call Joey my little calzone HAHAHAHAHA

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Since your (USA) Thanksgiving is coming up hereā€™s my stuffing recipe. Now bare in mind we Italians donā€™t measure when we cook. Donā€™t ask...
This recipe you can either cook it on the stove or goes raw in the turkey. I only use sausage meat that comes in a plastic wrapper that weighs about a pound (454g). Looks like them raw breakfast sausage meat. But you can use any ground up pork.

Again.....you can mix all ingredients together n stuff your turkey OR cook all on the stove, put it in foil and set aside till ready to serve (keep warm)

2lbs of ground sausage meat
2 apples
3 sticks of celery
1 red onion (I use red as it adds colour)

Fresh herbs, up to you what you like. Remember to cut the herbs to release the oils. If itā€™s dry you rub them them in the palm of your hands also to release the oils. Also if itā€™s dry herbs you would use ā€œlessā€.

I use n itā€™s approximately... :)

Thyme 3 little branches of 3ā€ long
Sage a couple leaves as sage is strong to taste
Rosemary 1/2 teaspoon
Salt/pepper

Cut up your apples into little bit size like 1ā€ sq n keep the skin on your apples or they will go mushy. Celery 1/2ā€. Set aside
Semi cook you sausage n remove from skillet. Add to the same pan your apples n celery n semi cook them. Add your fresh herbs n cook for one minute. Then add your semi cook pork back in the skillet n finish cooking all. I prefer not to over cook my apples n celery. But thatā€™s me. Itā€™s a very simple stuffing but has so much flavour. You can add more herbs or less. I taste everything I make. Like that I know what to add more of if needed.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
OMG hysterical!! How funny that we refer to our bullies by food....I do the same, I call Joey my little calzone HAHAHAHAHA

Oh, how cute!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.