Money saving tips

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Been thinking about what's ahead for me in the next 5 years and realized that my bf and I need both our vehicles replaced within the next couple of years. Plus I'd like to move to a place where there's a backyard for Stig. Suffice to say, I'm looking into cutting back on some things and trying to live frugally for the next little while.

Does anyone have any money saving ideas that worked for you? I've already been doing laundry during the times when hydro is at it's cheapest, unplugging anything that aren't being used, such as the toaster oven, tvs, etc.

Any other tips would be great!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great topic, I am also looking to save some :)

I have been really looking at food and how I can make budget meals because I am used to going all out. Also getting clothes used on eBay or savers.

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
You mentioned buying vehicles, I never understood why more people don't look to auctions to buy their vehicles. I've known people to get amazing deals on amazing vehicles at auctions. One of my friends got a two year old Mercedes SLK with bumper damage for around $8K at auction. He paid $900 for a new bumper and had a flawless Mercedes with less than 10,000 miles on it for dirt cheap. Also, not quite sure where you live, but as always living further away from cities and/ or amenities can net you a better house at a better cost. Apart from that, those little things that don't seem like much really add up. If you smoke, quit. If you eat out a lot, limit yourself. Public transportation can save on gas... and so on.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
yep the eating out is huge! My thing is when I am out shopping for groceries or something I always ask myself "do we NEED this" and put it back if not. Sounds lame but seriously has made me not buy so many things that I could have used but didnt HAVE to have. Even something stupid like bobby pins. lol. I have never looked into auctions for cars I guess because I know nothing about cars to know if it is a good deal or not. Would be terrified of getting that lemon (would be my luck) My dad is a mechanic but I know he would NOT want to have to fix my lemon.

L

Lucy-licious

I'm saving too...Chris is 40 next year and I want to take him to Vegas for a week. but then there will also be a trip to Florida that I have promised myself and Connor next May.
so we arnt having a Holiday this year to help save just day trips here and there.

start off by jotting down all your weekly/monthly expendature....everything no cheating.
work out from that list what is essential for daily living and start by cutting out everything that isnt.
treats are important to maintain self esteem but limit them so that the treat means more.

the energy saving lightbulbs are great for saving on electricity bills, unplugging appliances not in use, turn off the TV, Sky box, DVD player etc when not being used instead of using standby.
do you drive into work? is it close enough to walk...ride a bike or can you car share with a collegue who lives close by?
how far is the supermarket is home delivery option cheaper than driving there and back?
I like home delivery because I only get what I need and am not tempted to buy stuff I dont really need cos the display looks good.

its hard to think and list the things we do when looking to save but if I think of anything I'll let you know :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and also get a savings account and have it automatically take out like $100 every month. Even if you cant afford it you can always transfer it back but I have found more times than not I dont notice it gone even when money is tight.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Never thought about going to an auction before. But I would be fearful of getting that lemon too. My only requirement in a car is as long as it's reliable enough to go on roadtrips with Stig (and the bf. haha) without any worry of it breaking down, then it's good enough for me. My bf on the other hand is strictly Subaru. They're great cars but they're not that cheap. And he's somehow rough on his cars for some reason so he goes through them quick. Plus don't even get me started on the accessories he says he 'needs' such as exhaust, tires, etc. Men and their cars, I tell ya. :bang:. lol.

I'm looking to move too because I drive 90kms one way to get to my job, which also increased my insurance.

Will need to start asking the 'do I need this question' too. Even when I buy stuff for Stig :down: . But in the end it's all for him. :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Also look at your bills and insurance. Call your cell phone company, car ins, cable tv, ect and find out if they have any updated offers :)

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Thanks. I'm thinking of downgrading my cable internet, phone and cell phone plans. Maybe save at least $50 a month from doing that.

As for the food tips, I regularly shop at ethnic markets to save some cash. The things there are generally cheaper. Don't mind the employees barely speaking english though. I also recently learned that you can also ask the manager if they're willing to sell a box of meat for a lot less. For example, there was a sale on chicken legs with thighs recently, going for about 40 cents cheaper per lb. But if you buy a whole box (I think it was 10kg), I managed to save an extra $10. The box indicated that it came from the local Shneider's company, so the quality is good.

I also buy a lot of things in bulk and freeze them. This can range from bread to vegetables (even garlic!).

And if you have farmers in your area, they also can give you some good deals on eggs and whatever meat and vegetables they raise and grow.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and also for anyone who has a 99cent store that carries produce it actually CAN be better than what is at the reg store. Mine always has mushrooms so for that alone is reason enough for me since even on sale they arent cheap. Sometimes it is hit and miss but if you have a good store near you check it out. Some dont have any cold items I wouldnt go to those so much.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I forgot to add, potty train your 2 year old. Of course my boy is a genius and it only took 1 day! :bravo:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Completely turn off your satellite tv! Did you know you can find all your favorite episodes on your computer? Yep. We downgraded ours. We had HBO, Showtime...all of those. But we found that we really didn't need it. So, our bill went from over 150.00 (cause we'd order UFC fights) to under 60.00.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I make a menu for the week and then put together the grocery list with only the ingredients I need to make the meals I had planned. My husband goes to the grocery store and will buy ONLY what is on the list. Nothing extra whatsoever. If it isn't written on the list, he won't buy it. It really helps when you only go once a week as those side trips every other day add up.

I also have been considering trading in my car and leasing. The savings is amazing! My husband is driving a Honda Accord for less than $200 a month and he can trade it in next year and get another one. We bought my Odyssey and I really think we can have lower monthly payments if we leased. He is looking forward to having a car that is paid off, but every time we pay one off, we take it and trade it in for a new one so what is the point?

Coupons...I have heard that you can really lower the cost of things by using them. I actually managed to get a few things for free at the grocery as the coupon was for more than the price of the item! I don't have that much patience for them but if you do, they can be worth it!

I am sure there are lots of other tips but the best one for us is the grocery list thing. We rarely go out to dinner and it saves us tons.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.