stevia for human

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So, i was at costco yesterday and bought a carton thing of the Oikos triple zero yogurt. They were sampling and there was a 'taste' that to me said 'not sugar' but .............. or and.......... i asked the sampling lady if there was anything artificial in it and the answer was no. my eyes wernt at their best and i tried to read but didnt see "stevia" ... My question is, is that ok for us to eat lol It's not that i love sugar, but im one who would choose it over other unnatural sweetners. It was just for a treat, and i'd rather eat than take it back but should i or is Stevia ok. I did look it up but am confused :( Thanks if anyone knows.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe w it is a plant.... but [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] will know for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, i was at costco yesterday and bought a carton thing of the Oikos triple zero yogurt. They were sampling and there was a 'taste' that to me said 'not sugar' but .............. or and.......... i asked the sampling lady if there was anything artificial in it and the answer was no. my eyes wernt at their best and i tried to read but didnt see "stevia" ... My question is, is that ok for us to eat lol It's not that i love sugar, but im one who would choose it over other unnatural sweetners. It was just for a treat, and i'd rather eat than take it back but should i or is Stevia ok. I did look it up but am confused :( Thanks if anyone knows.

I personally do eat anything that says fat free or zero sugars/fat as in the food world, it means it’s hidden sugars. I googled the product as I found it suspicious. Here’s what you’re looking at...

https://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt-protein/triple-zero/strawberry/

REAL Stevia rebaudiana has zero calories. Yes zero! Also has a bitter taste. Why I find it odd if it would be only stevia in the yogurt. As you see on the link it says 14 carbs n 6 fiber which your net carb comes out to 8. It’s good. But did you Noticed there is 7gram of sugar? Well the real stevia like said has ZERO. I have a small jar here n also in liquid form. Both says zero calories. Below is what you need to read between the lines. Vegetable juice “concentrate “ any juice that’s concentrated is sugars. If you see the words “ made from non-concentrated juice” basically it’s pure juice. You need the word NON. So your 7gr of sugar comes from that juice. The other give away is “natural flavors” that is usually a chemical or/and sugars to give a flavour. Example if you buy cold cuts which I never eat is loaded with nitride. Companies have removed the word nitride and the new replacement is “celery extract”. ANYTHING with the word “extract” is nitride. Worse chemical for any form of arthritis n for your organs. Btw nitride keeps your food looking nice and pink. No nitride your meat will be beige or green.

INGREDIENTS: CULTURED GRADE A NON FAT MILK, CHICORY ROOT FIBER, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF VEGETABLE JUICE CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR), NATURAL FLAVORS, STEVIA LEAF EXTRACT, MALIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, SEA SALT, VITAMIN D3.

My products are also in the big health food stores but...you should see even in health food stores all the fancy words on front labels how it’s misleading. I was in my 20’s when I started to read ingredients in the back of all products. Was no nutritional facts fancy label back then. I learned the hard way. My labels are federal approved so what’s on the label is what’s in the jar. I would never feed anyone what I wouldn’t eat. That’s my motto. I was doing a demo on Saturday and a man picks up one of the jars n said, geez I can read every word. Lol... That’s what people need to do, if you don’t understand some words on the labels, put it back. Ingredients should be like if you made it. Products/produce you know of n would eat it.

A great sugar replacement and really taste like real sugar is Monk Fruit. Yes it’s a fruit. It’s a bit pricey but 200% healthier.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]... I too do not *usually* well almost never eat stuff that has stuff i cant read about as something that if not physically, then mentally it will get me... lol I could taste something in the sample that i did not like but it was one of those hungry times that it just seemed that it *must* be ok cause the lady said so... HA! I will bring my glasses next time. was just certainly one of those "too good to be true" things. Only thing now is, i'll take it back, get my 13 bucks back and want to spend another 50 hahahahaha! yep, been there done that too :(

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

From the list of content - carbohydrates are 14 gram per cup. First of all, there is natural milk sugar in yogurt, around 4-5 grams per 100 gram of yogurt. So, it gives us around 8-9 grams per 150 ml cup. Second, you see in the list chickory root extract, which is added as a source of fibre, or prebiotic (good for bowel movements and helps good gut bacteria to develop). It also gives yogurt thicker texture. They say amount of fibre is 6 grams per cup. So, it adds up - lactose plus fibre gives us 14 grams of carb, no contradiction.
So there is nothing wrong with the content, and I don’t see problem with sweetener, stevia is widely used as a sweetener and has no calories. Stevia is a leaf of a plant, considered to be quite natural and not bad for you. Probably, one of the best non-sugar sweetener. But I totally agree with you that all these non-sugar sweeteners you can taste, they taste strange to me too. Even more, if I drink diet cola, I feel strange sweet taste in the mouth for hours after and I don’t really like it.
So, you should choose plain Greek yogurt and add some fruits or honey yourself, or choose sugar sweetened ones if you don’t like the stevia-sweetened yogurt.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]... I too do not *usually* well almost never eat stuff that has stuff i cant read about as something that if not physically, then mentally it will get me... lol I could taste something in the sample that i did not like but it was one of those hungry times that it just seemed that it *must* be ok cause the lady said so... HA! I will bring my glasses next time. was just certainly one of those "too good to be true" things. Only thing now is, i'll take it back, get my 13 bucks back and want to spend another 50 hahahahaha! yep, been there done that too :(

Nothing is wrong with stevia if you grow your own. The Stevia you find in grocery stores are usually mixed with other fake sugars like methyl alcohol etc. Also even for real stevia, for it to be white it’s bleached. Why you’re better growing it. My stevia sitting in the cupboard collecting dust as we say. I don’t use it as I don’t bake and I never used sugars in my coffee Bought it for my son’s when they were doing the keto diet which they suggested me to get for them. As a good mom, I got them monk fruit instead. I should throw these stevia out as their probably outdated anyway lol. Here’s a good link about stevia.

https://janeshealthykitchen.com/the-toxic-truth-stevia/

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks guys :) We shall see if i eat it.... lol

Most Reactions