OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sod is now completely removed from the "right of way" between the street and sidewalk. And the ENTIRE front yard!!! :dance3: We are going to put raised planters out there too, to hopefully add to the curb appeal and help keep the plants from being trampled by dogs on long leashes. Mostly we just love the look we have going though with the compass garden and want to extend it out to that area.

Lots of finish work to do, but you can get an idea of where we are headed with this pic.

05-15-11004.jpg

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Very nice! I just finished planting the seccond garden in front of my house this week. As soon as the weather clears, I'll try to get some pictures up. Mine has pansies all lined up in the front with Iris's behind them. Seperated by a small bush I then have a butterfly tower plant and a hygrangia (spelling?). If you're worried about those pansies try some Iris's, those flowers could see the end of nuclear war alongside roaches and Keith Richards. lol. Honestly, I like very much how you used those towering planters to increase your usable space. I might have to consider that myself...

[MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION]

:pics: So please share some!

Oh and I do have iris in a few areas. My new love when it comes to iris are the reblooming kind. I have 6 different varieties so far and would LOVE to get more going at some point. But I am running out of room for too many more. They can take up a lot of space. I have some Short yellow reblooming iris and I'm going to move some of them out front later this summer when it's a good time to move them after we get that area ready for planting.
Out at the curb plantings we can't have anything too tall. 6" max on height of terraced planters and 2' max on height of plants. (we're going to assume that height restriction would include the planter height and not plant things that will grow taller than about 12" just to be safe.A very vague "no trip hazzard" requirement is in the ordinance too.

Last edited:

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
LOL [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], pics will be coming soon then! lol. I've got some Iris', Snapdraggon's and a couple others blooming now, so it's perfect for pictures, I'll try to get them when I get home!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sod is now completely removed from the "right of way" between the street and sidewalk. And the ENTIRE front yard!!! :dance3: We are going to put raised planters out there too, to hopefully add to the curb appeal and help keep the plants from being trampled by dogs on long leashes. Mostly we just love the look we have going though with the compass garden and want to extend it out to that area.

Lots of finish work to do, but you can get an idea of where we are headed with this pic.

05-15-11004.jpg

Notice the Bulldog weathervane I found online.. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
So pretty! I have a black thumb and even kill simple herbs. lol. I have some things planted by the previous owner that are doing well and are pretty but they are super low maintenance...just some rose bushes, day lilies, and hydrangea bushes.

I love what you did with the design. I wish my hubby would get out there! He grows broccoli four feet tall! LMBO.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have made a lot of progress with the curbs this week. Just brick edging and mulch on one side and it'll be finished. But it rained enough yesterday and is forcasted enough for today and tomorrow that we can't get out there and do the rototilling that needs done first before the edging.

Finished Side

05-22-11frontyard005.jpg

Slideshow Link for more pics:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow! I love how that looks and you did it so fast.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Love the tips guys. I'm looking into getting some irises and lilies because of this thread. =)

Can anyone recommend anything else that doesn't require much light? I'd like to redo the small planting space in my front yard, but it doesn't get constant sunlight because of the way the houses are positioned. I wanted to get rosebushes but heard that they need sunlight for sure. :nope:

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] you could do a fern garden. Ferns are beautiful, remind me of the coastal trip we took some years back. Or if you want flowers I think and could be wrong but hydrangeas dont need lots of sun. We had a plant here when we moved in and it was in the 1 little area that is mostly shaded and did real well there. Until it didnt get watered and it was summer time. :ashamed:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:flirt: I'm such a slave driver. Just ask Bruce. :fight:

She had my butt out there about 7:30am this morning.. it would have been earlier but I convinced her that it was too early to run the rototiller. we didn't stop till about 4PM... not even for lunch. Look up slave driver in the dictionary to see a pic of Lari!!!!:help::help::help:

We DID finish it and the knot garden in the back yard. Pix will have to wait till tomorrow as we are both too whipped to go out there and take any... besides we'd be taking them right into the sun. It's 7pm... bed time:faint:

Last edited:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ... I don't think she's a slave driver ... you are a good husband!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.