Let the Planting Begin!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Bruce and I enjoy having a pretty yard even though we have a small city lot.

This year the front compass garden is going to be mostly Pansy's for color and there is periennial ground cover that will grow in soon. Today we planted the pansy's and refreshed the mulch around the compass. Plus a lot of other stuff that kicked our ole hiney's today. We will sleep well tonight.

This slideshow link will show our progress as the spring/summer progresses.

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/LariPett/yard%202011/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm so sore I can hardly move!!!!!ZzzzZzzzZzzz .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] that means you did your job. haha
Good work but isnt it a little too early to plant flowers? Last year I planted sunflowers in my yard about this time and was all excited to see them sprout and then we got a crazy random but of snow. :( Killed them all. Where you live snow is the norm so I would think you are still going to get some, no? We finally had snow yesterday morning when we woke up, so pretty! Like 3 or 4 inches and it was completely melted by 1pm go and figure. Today we have the doors open and it is supposed to get into the 80's in the next few days. CRAZY weather!

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Most things would be dead at the first drop in temperature. But Pansies can survive snow and freezing nights, and that's all that I planted. Well... also some daffodil bulbs. The ones that were in the ground all winter are sprouting and going to start blooming soon. The ones I just planted are some that were stored cold in the greenhouse all winter at the nursery and are just beginning to sprout. They'll grow and bloom this year and then come back year after year from now on too. It's a little more expensive to get them this way, but we splurged. I'm just so over ready for some green and some color other than winter drab.

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Wow I love the compass garden and pansies are Soooo pretty. The yellow and purple will look amazing when they spread and bloom fully. Can't wait for the pics :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
that is going to look beautiful, keep us posted as they start to bloom, I love the design you have.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]... You will be tired of seeing our yard by the end of summer...lol Last year we got nominated for an award for our yard but didn't win. .. The lady that came to pick up the sign after the contest said she thought that this year we would win.
Once the work is done on our street we are going to remove the grass you can see between the sidewalk and the street. We will brick along the sidewalk and the curb and mulch the center with only a few low plantings. We think it will be better then.
We also have big plans for the back yard this year IF we can get both the energy and $'s. Having Princess Gracie has changed what we want to do in the backyard.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I "love" your garden compass! How creative...Can't wait to see the blooms of your hard work. I'm feeling Spring Fever too...Bought a book on achieving my "wild flower" look. For my "old style" was more uniformed...but I always admire the flower beds that look like God placed them here and there...BUT...I've a darn walnut tree I've also must contend with. And a sheet of things that won't die under or around it. So that area will be a little less how I want it. But...will at least thrive unlike years past where we planted and watched the stuff die each and every year. Just last year we learned the roots of the tree are toxic to certain plants...which explained a lot!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Gosh... you guys!! I'm jealous!! I just plant a vegetable garden and have a hard time keeping that alive! Although I do it organic without bug spray and weed spray. So I'm out there alot picking weeds. Last year, I put in alot of sweat and a tree fell on it and nothing survived. So, hopefully now the trees are gone, I'll actually get some yummy treats. The year before I had so many green beans, peas, cucumbers, cantelope, strawberries, many different types of lettuce, radishes, tomatoes. Pumpkins never do well for me for some reason. Oh well!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Gosh... you guys!! I'm jealous!! I just plant a vegetable garden and have a hard time keeping that alive! Although I do it organic without bug spray and weed spray. So I'm out there alot picking weeds. Last year, I put in alot of sweat and a tree fell on it and nothing survived. So, hopefully now the trees are gone, I'll actually get some yummy treats. The year before I had so many green beans, peas, cucumbers, cantelope, strawberries, many different types of lettuce, radishes, tomatoes. Pumpkins never do well for me for some reason. Oh well!!

Im with you on planting the veggies and stuff but havent gotten that into it like you. lol. I did my strawberries last year which somehow have survived the winter and started to spread out on their own, shocker. I have my jalapeno tree which has survived the winter but other than that I just usually do tomatoes and some herbs. I tried corn last year with no great success. Guess you have to actually put some effort into that one. Or I need to work on the dirt which is more likely the case. It is just dirt, no soil in there whatsoever. Had planned on trying to grow pumpkins last year but I forgot after the last frost to plant them.
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] never would I get tired of pics. ;)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names

Im with you on planting the veggies and stuff but havent gotten that into it like you. lol. I did my strawberries last year which somehow have survived the winter and started to spread out on their own, shocker. I have my jalapeno tree which has survived the winter but other than that I just usually do tomatoes and some herbs. I tried corn last year with no great success. Guess you have to actually put some effort into that one. Or I need to work on the dirt which is more likely the case. It is just dirt, no soil in there whatsoever. Had planned on trying to grow pumpkins last year but I forgot after the last frost to plant them.
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] never would I get tired of pics. ;)

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Very nice! I just finished planting the seccond garden in front of my house this week. As soon as the weather clears, I'll try to get some pictures up. Mine has pansies all lined up in the front with Iris's behind them. Seperated by a small bush I then have a butterfly tower plant and a hygrangia (spelling?). If you're worried about those pansies try some Iris's, those flowers could see the end of nuclear war alongside roaches and Keith Richards. lol. Honestly, I like very much how you used those towering planters to increase your usable space. I might have to consider that myself...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online