Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 115

Thread: Need Gardening HELP Please

  1. #1
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Need Gardening HELP Please

    I am starting my herbs and tomatoes from seeds this year and I have some questions. I won't bother posting them now just in case I don't get any takers out there......

    Thanks in advance to any green thumbers that answer
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  2. #2
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,326
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2013

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    How fun - I'm soon to start too! The only herbs I grow from seeds are cilantro and dill; the rest I buy plants as they take too long to develop. Tomatoes we grow from seeds, and annual flowers.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  3. Likes sisters3 liked this post
  4. #3
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    How fun - I'm soon to start too! The only herbs I grow from seeds are cilantro and dill; the rest I buy plants as they take too long to develop. Tomatoes we grow from seeds, and annual flowers.
    Ohhh Hi! I am brand new to starting anything from seeds. So, here are my questions.

    They are in the trays now with humidity dome over them, not sprouted yet. When they do sprout (hopefully) do they then go under the grow light? Is this the same for tomato plants? I LOVE TOMATOES !!! So I do not want to ruin them.

    Also, can I leave plants in the seed trays OR do I need to put in bigger vessel until planting temp is OK outside?

    Any helpful hints would be awesome! and THANKS AGAIN!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  5. Likes cefe13 liked this post
  6. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,630
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    4595

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    I am of no help as I use starters for everything. @helsonwheels might be able to answer your questions. @ddnene might as well but I think she is on vacation so may not be very active on the board right now.

  7. Likes 2BullyMama, sisters3 liked this post
  8. #5
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,326
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2013

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Ohhh Hi! I am brand new to starting anything from seeds. So, here are my questions.

    They are in the trays now with humidity dome over them, not sprouted yet. When they do sprout (hopefully) do they then go under the grow light? Is this the same for tomato plants? I LOVE TOMATOES !!! So I do not want to ruin them.

    Also, can I leave plants in the seed trays OR do I need to put in bigger vessel until planting temp is OK outside?

    Any helpful hints would be awesome! and THANKS AGAIN!!
    I don't use grow lights but put sowing pots and trays on windowsills or on a table close to the window. When the sprouts come up, I think you can remove the lid or at least keep a close eye so that you don't get mould. Tomatoes need to move to bigger pots after a while. I guess it depends on how warm it is outside but we usually replant tomatoes twice before they go into the beds outside. I've planted small (10 cm or so) tomatoes outside without repotting but they were very slow. I often get my tomato plants from my father and they have been repotted twice, which seems to be the right thing to do.

    Regarding herbs, I suppose it depends on the temperature, but here cilantro works well sowing outdoors late spring and then sow anew every couple of weeks throughout summer. Dill also outdoors - wouldn't be possible to move the small plants!

    Flowers I don't replant; when they are too big for their sowing pots, out they go, and hopefully it's warm enough outdoors.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  9. Likes sisters3 liked this post
  10. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,314
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    9939

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Ohhh Hi! I am brand new to starting anything from seeds. So, here are my questions.

    They are in the trays now with humidity dome over them, not sprouted yet. When they do sprout (hopefully) do they then go under the grow light? Is this the same for tomato plants? I LOVE TOMATOES !!! So I do not want to ruin them.

    Also, can I leave plants in the seed trays OR do I need to put in bigger vessel until planting temp is OK outside?

    Any helpful hints would be awesome! and THANKS AGAIN!!
    You start a thread n wonít ask questions just yet?? That was too funny...

    Ok Iíve been gardening since a kid but will admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Grow a greener world. Iím very big on natural organic home grown and learned a lot with this show. Been watching it for decades. Simply go on there website in search button n add whatever youíre looking for. Heís DA BEST!!! Btw, when you start seedlings, wait till they pop out and the trick for the fragility new ones, you need a fan blowi on them to have air circulating or they will rot or mould. Needs air and warm roots. Some might put a heating pad under the trays...

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...page/episodes/

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/?s=Seeds

  11. Likes sisters3 liked this post
  12. #7
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I am of no help as I use starters for everything. @helsonwheels might be able to answer your questions. @ddnene might as well but I think she is on vacation so may not be very active on the board right now.
    You’re awesome! Thank you!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  13. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  14. #8
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I don't use grow lights but put sowing pots and trays on windowsills or on a table close to the window. When the sprouts come up, I think you can remove the lid or at least keep a close eye so that you don't get mould. Tomatoes need to move to bigger pots after a while. I guess it depends on how warm it is outside but we usually replant tomatoes twice before they go into the beds outside. I've planted small (10 cm or so) tomatoes outside without repotting but they were very slow. I often get my tomato plants from my father and they have been repotted twice, which seems to be the right thing to do.

    Regarding herbs, I suppose it depends on the temperature, but here cilantro works well sowing outdoors late spring and then sow anew every couple of weeks throughout summer. Dill also outdoors - wouldn't be possible to move the small plants!

    Flowers I don't replant; when they are too big for their sowing pots, out they go, and hopefully it's warm enough outdoors.
    Exactly what I was looking for. I’m keeping an eye out for mold and being sure to water from below, that’s what I read so I assume that’s what I do LOL. I’m very excited, especially for my tomato plants!

    Thank you so much! I may need more help as I go.......
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  15. Likes cefe13 liked this post
  16. #9
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    You start a thread n won’t ask questions just yet?? That was too funny...

    Ok I’ve been gardening since a kid but will admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Grow a greener world. I’m very big on natural organic home grown and learned a lot with this show. Been watching it for decades. Simply go on there website in search button n add whatever you’re looking for. He’s DA BEST!!! Btw, when you start seedlings, wait till they pop out and the trick for the fragility new ones, you need a fan blowi on them to have air circulating or they will rot or mould. Needs air and warm roots. Some might put a heating pad under the trays...

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...page/episodes/

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/?s=Seeds

    Haha I wasn’t sure if I would get any help so why waste time LOL. I’m looking for him now!

    Concerning the fan, so my garage is not heated so I guess my little guys need to stay inside right? With the grow lights. WHEN do I start with the fan?

    I adore planting and thought it’s the right time to start my own. My Dad was a master gardener, vegetable and flowers. How I wish he was here for my questions. But so thankful for you both helping me!

    Thanks Helene!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  17. Likes thett liked this post
  18. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,314
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    9939

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Haha I wasn’t sure if I would get any help so why waste time LOL. I’m looking for him now!

    Concerning the fan, so my garage is not heated so I guess my little guys need to stay inside right? With the grow lights. WHEN do I start with the fan?

    I adore planting and thought it’s the right time to start my own. My Dad was a master gardener, vegetable and flowers. How I wish he was here for my questions. But so thankful for you both helping me!

    Thanks Helene!
    If your garage isn’t heated you need to keep bottom trays warm. Idk what temperature your area is but great if you have a heating pad. Fan starts when they stick out. Nowadays we use led lights n that can stay on all day if there isn’t any day light. No sun!!! You’ll burn them especially if it’s seedlings.

    My secret to big thick solid green plants......coffee grains!!! I’ve been using my leftover grains for decades. Hmmm I sound old lolll... I drink black coffee so once in a while I’ll add my one-two sips left in my house plant whit a bit of extra water..

    Tomatoes

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...epic-tomatoes/

  19. Likes sisters3 liked this post
  20. #11
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,942
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3466

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    If your garage isn’t heated you need to keep bottom trays warm. Idk what temperature your area is but great if you have a heating pad. Fan starts when they stick out. Nowadays we use led lights n that can stay on all day if there isn’t any day light. No sun!!! You’ll burn them especially if it’s seedlings.

    My secret to big thick solid green plants......coffee grains!!! I’ve been using my leftover grains for decades. Hmmm I sound old lolll... I drink black coffee so once in a while I’ll add my one-two sips left in my house plant whit a bit of extra water..

    Tomatoes

    https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...epic-tomatoes/
    Fantastic information!!! I did order a triple LED grow light for after they sprout. After this weekend our daily highs will be in the 50's and 60's BUT garage won't heat up that fast......Great tip on the coffee grounds too!! I am a COFFEE HOUND....so I will have plenty LOL

    Thanks so much!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  21. #12
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,771
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    5796

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    After they have sprouted and are at a height of about 3" and IF the weather has seen it's last frost...carefully take them outside and heave them into the trash can. Get in your car and go to the grocery store and buy some tomatoes...Romas are preferred.
    Now if you are growing Roses( Hybrid Tea, Floribunda, English, etc)...let me know.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  22. Likes sisters3, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •