Need Gardening HELP Please

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I like how those tomatoes look. I have never got such a big one in my garden, but instead I have some huge cabbage exemplars.

I grew some Cabbage and used a few to do fermented sauerkraut. [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] has a green thumb. Whatever you grow this summer [MENTION=20036]Aissia[/MENTION] dont forget to post photos of the progress... :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Still too cold outside but preparing up... :2thumbs:

D3B112A2-68E3-4A62-A216-9FC895D1BE6F.jpegD41A0C91-A15D-45F3-978E-5067F4BA1D03.jpeg4C71A942-E7AC-4014-AACF-EF58A1701A40.jpeg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Looking good! We have had such a cold spring and I sowed much too early this year so have cucumber plants in bloom in the living room and my begonias woke up too early too and are really big and in bloom already. I have sown flowers and some edibles and the living room is also full of recently potted dahlias. Still risk of frost, though, so cannot move things out. So full of pots on our window sills so this year I asked my dad (who turned 91 yesterday) to sow tomatoes for me too. My brother came by with several geraniums and some other stuff the other day so at least I hope we will have some flowers in what I assume will be a second summer of quarantine life.

i will post some photos later.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Looking good! We have had such a cold spring and I sowed much too early this year so have cucumber plants in bloom in the living room and my begonias woke up too early too and are really big and in bloom already. I have sown flowers and some edibles and the living room is also full of recently potted dahlias. Still risk of frost, though, so cannot move things out. So full of pots on our window sills so this year I asked my dad (who turned 91 yesterday) to sow tomatoes for me too. My brother came by with several geraniums and some other stuff the other day so at least I hope we will have some flowers in what I assume will be a second summer of quarantine life.

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DAD!!! I miss mine very much, he was a MASTER gardener.

I will be starting my tomato plants soon, I started way to early 2 years ago and did not do last year because of selling/moving/buying new house.

At the new house I am doing all boxed flowers this year until I see what all comes up, the lady that I purchased from had a nice green thumb. I bought 6 white hanging containers for the white picket fence and will be getting those ready in early May hopefully.

The hope of spring and planting makes me feel so good !! Something to look forward to :)

I CAN'T wait to start seeing everyone's photos!!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

91yrs young :judges: Happy Birthday!!

Yes still snows on n off. It melts throughout the day or next. We got 2 growing tents with special lights to start all our seeds for each year. This year we planted more seeds cause one of my son sold his big acreage n wanted less land so they just bought a 6acerage. Because they are moving in May they canā€™t transfer any plants. I grew more to give to them in May to put in their greenhouse. I bought at the dollar store buckets n basket to put theirs in them. I too decided to buy an acreage.Will not be going back home but stay with the kids on this side. We are still looking for the right place n close to my sons new acreage. We will still plant our garden but keeping some in buckets. When I find the right place to buy my house will go up for sell. Whoever buys will get free veggies lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DAD!!! I miss mine very much, he was a MASTER gardener.

I will be starting my tomato plants soon, I started way to early 2 years ago and did not do last year because of selling/moving/buying new house.

At the new house I am doing all boxed flowers this year until I see what all comes up, the lady that I purchased from had a nice green thumb. I bought 6 white hanging containers for the white picket fence and will be getting those ready in early May hopefully.

The hope of spring and planting makes me feel so good !! Something to look forward to :)

I CAN'T wait to start seeing everyone's photos!!!!

On yes true you moved. Donā€™t forget the photos!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Mulch01.jpgPlanter.jpgRock01.jpgRock02.jpgRock04.jpg

In preparation for some more landscaping (this year just colorful pots) I had river rock brought in for the entire way around the house. The planter (I got 6) to hang inside the fence with flowers (pardon the pills in the candle lid, tylenol from one of my sisters, we all got second vaccine Saturday).

One area that is giving me trouble is the mulched area on either side of the steps, I decided not to do river rock there because I thought it would be too much hardscape, but I do not like this area, blue rug juniper because of embankment (I guess). Any suggestions??

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] why donā€™t you plant perennial flowers that grows up to 3ā€™ high all along the very top row where your grass is. I would have a field day in there lol... Even if you have mulch you still can grow flowers. So this is I would do, at the very bottom step all along from left to right as I canā€™t see the length of your yard or basically where your mulch starts n ends, you get flowers that grows about a 8ā€ to a foot high, middle section 15ā€ to 2feet high, very top section where your grass is 2-3 feet high. Like a pyramid. Donā€™t plant one behind the other. So you start at the bottom put your flowers all along, middle section in between the bottom row, the very top row all along like the bottom row. Now bare in mind when you plant Iā€™m sure you know that check the length n width of the plant you choose, the #of hours of sun or daylight it needs. If at one end itā€™s shady you get a shady plant like hostas. OR....... put Hostas only. They come in many different colours, heights, sun, no sun etc. like the Elephant ears, they are massive but beautiful... These are tough plants. Even through our winters, never had issues with them. You can mix match them all throughout the mulch and add a few ferns. That would be the best way to go if you donā€™t want to break your head. When I plant flowers I always will think to plant the ones that flowers from spring to frost/winter so I gets flowers throughout all seasons. Itā€™s a bigger job.

:yes:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@sisters3 why donā€™t you plant perennial flowers that grows up to 3ā€™ high all along the very top row where your grass is. I would have a field day in there lol... Even if you have mulch you still can grow flowers. So this is I would do, at the very bottom step all along from left to right as I canā€™t see the length of your yard or basically where your mulch starts n ends, you get flowers that grows about a 8ā€ to a foot high, middle section 15ā€ to 2feet high, very top section where your grass is 2-3 feet high. Like a pyramid. Donā€™t plant one behind the other. So you start at the bottom put your flowers all along, middle section in between the bottom row, the very top row all along like the bottom row. Now bare in mind when you plant Iā€™m sure you know that check the length n width of the plant you choose, the #of hours of sun or daylight it needs. If at one end itā€™s shady you get a shady plant like hostas. OR....... put Hostas only. They come in many different colours, heights, sun, no sun etc. like the Elephant ears, they are massive but beautiful... These are tough plants. Even through our winters, never had issues with them. You can mix match them all throughout the mulch and add a few ferns. That would be the best way to go if you donā€™t want to break your head. When I plant flowers I always will think to plant the ones that flowers from spring to frost/winter so I gets flowers throughout all seasons. Itā€™s a bigger job.

Yes, perennials - and I would also go for roses. Hostas are lovely too, as are ferns, but they don't like too much sun, I think. Will you plant anything in the river rock sections (ornamental grass?). Oh, how exciting with a new garden! And you have a beautiful bulldog there too :-)

Congratulations on having got the vaccine. Here things are terribly slow. My elderly parents have finally got their shots but among middle-aged and younger people still only hospital staff and people in risk groups. I guess we will be offered vaccine after summer if things don't speed up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Happy BIRTHDAY Dad!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] why donā€™t you plant perennial flowers that grows up to 3ā€™ high all along the very top row where your grass is. I would have a field day in there lol... Even if you have mulch you still can grow flowers. So this is I would do, at the very bottom step all along from left to right as I canā€™t see the length of your yard or basically where your mulch starts n ends, you get flowers that grows about a 8ā€ to a foot high, middle section 15ā€ to 2feet high, very top section where your grass is 2-3 feet high. Like a pyramid. Donā€™t plant one behind the other. So you start at the bottom put your flowers all along, middle section in between the bottom row, the very top row all along like the bottom row. Now bare in mind when you plant Iā€™m sure you know that check the length n width of the plant you choose, the #of hours of sun or daylight it needs. If at one end itā€™s shady you get a shady plant like hostas. OR....... put Hostas only. They come in many different colours, heights, sun, no sun etc. like the Elephant ears, they are massive but beautiful... These are tough plants. Even through our winters, never had issues with them. You can mix match them all throughout the mulch and add a few ferns. That would be the best way to go if you donā€™t want to break your head. When I plant flowers I always will think to plant the ones that flowers from spring to frost/winter so I gets flowers throughout all seasons. Itā€™s a bigger job.

Thanks so much Helene!!! I will take a photo that shows the entire area, in case you want to tweak your suggestions.

I will research flowers/plants that play well with the juniper.

This helps so much!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, perennials - and I would also go for roses. Hostas are lovely too, as are ferns, but they don't like too much sun, I think. Will you plant anything in the river rock sections (ornamental grass?). Oh, how exciting with a new garden! And you have a beautiful bulldog there too :-)

Congratulations on having got the vaccine. Here things are terribly slow. My elderly parents have finally got their shots but among middle-aged and younger people still only hospital staff and people in risk groups. I guess we will be offered vaccine after summer if things don't speed up.

Thank you friend! There are some plants in the river rock areas, I will take and post some photos. The previous owner planted all of them, BUT since I have only been here in fall and winter I am waiting to see what all comes up then decide what I want to plant there. There is a shed beyond the fences that I want to landscape around and maybe window flower boxes too. I am very excited to do that project!

Thanks for the congrats on the vaccine, we are moving right along here where I live in Pennsylvania. We have been making appointments for elderly folks that we know that do not use computers and shuttling them for their appointments, it's so important for them to be protected! I hope that you're able to get yours soon!

Sue

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wow - impressive harvest!
The old tomatoes are getting there - this photo is from the plant from the old seed, and the plants from the newer seeds are flowering. They seem to be a bit later than the tomatoes I've grown before, but the tomatoes themselves look really good. Very excited about the result!

View attachment 119558
@cefe13 you growing them this yr?

Most Reactions