Need Gardening HELP Please

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
Look look! Today we ate a big tomato from the 150-yr-old seed and it was great! I saved many of the seeds so they will now dry before they go into my stash of seeds for next year. I must say the harvest won't be big in numbers, but the size of the tomatoes is quite impressive (esp in my tiny garden where I usually grow only small tomatoes!).

So here is the big one (the smaller one will need another few days, I think):

kanadensisktomat1.jpg

and it was 260 g:
kanadensisktomat2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION]
View attachment 119757

and it was 260 g:
View attachment 119758

WOW 260g !! One slice in a sandwich n youā€™re done lol. Mine didnā€™t get that big. Tomatoes thrives in heat n central to north of Alberta gets cold fast in sept. We had snow about an hour from here last week. Couldnā€™t see the grass. :( Melted fast though. I grew another kind this year so I donā€™t waste my old ones. I might build some sort of a little green house next year. Will see....

BTW, how did your dad find them?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13
View attachment 119757

and it was 260 g:
View attachment 119758

WOW 260g !! One slice in a sandwich n youā€™re done lol. Mine didnā€™t get that big. Tomatoes thrives in heat n central to north of Alberta gets cold fast in sept. We had snow about an hour from here last week. Couldnā€™t see the grass. :( Melted fast though. I grew another kind this year so I donā€™t waste my old ones. I might build some sort of a little green house next year. Will see....

BTW, how did your dad find them?

Oh my, snow already. And here I am complaining that I have to start wearing socks.
My parents haven't tried their yet (big but looked green when I checked the other day!) so will have to report back on that.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@helsonwheels Look - they're getting bigger and bigger. This one is 325 g! It's not from the 150-year-old seed but from one of the other seeds and the shape is a little different. As you can see, Castor is very proud of our tomatoes (the tomato plants are right behind him)

tomat tisdag.jpeg castor tisdag2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@helsonwheels Look - they're getting bigger and bigger. This one is 325 g! It's not from the 150-year-old seed but from one of the other seeds and the shape is a little different. As you can see, Castor is very proud of our tomatoes (the tomato plants are right behind him)

View attachment 119809 View attachment 119811

WOW. 464g is a pound n youā€™re already at 325 which is still massive! Good job!!! The green thumb lady......Or is Castor fertilizing them ? Hahahahaha

You dad going to weigh his in? If so let me know what his weigh in is... curious :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
WOW. 464g is a pound n youā€™re already at 325 which is still massive! Good job!!! The green thumb lady......Or is Castor fertilizing them ? Hahahahaha

You dad going to weigh his in? If so let me know what his weigh in is... curious :)

No, no, Castor is only admiring, not fertilizing, the tomatoes! My dad's tomatoes are not that big, more big plum size. His plant has more tomatoes but less size, and my plants seem to have fewer tomatoes but bigger (although I think the remaining ones will not be bigger than the ones I've shown here). Next year, I'll ask my brother to grow these too (I'm saving seeds...) so let's see how big they get then!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No, no, Castor is only admiring, not fertilizing, the tomatoes! My dad's tomatoes are not that big, more big plum size. His plant has more tomatoes but less size, and my plants seem to have fewer tomatoes but bigger (although I think the remaining ones will not be bigger than the ones I've shown here). Next year, I'll ask my brother to grow these too (I'm saving seeds...) so let's see how big they get then!

Good spread the seeds out as long the keep some seeds going would be good. Soil is the key. Throughout winter, I always throw my coffee grinds, egg shells on the snow n when it melts in spring sinks into the soil. Then we turn the soil...

ā€œNo, no, Castor is only admiring, not fertilizing, the tomatoesā€ lolll

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good spread the seeds out as long the keep some seeds going would be good. Soil is the key. Throughout winter, I always throw my coffee grinds, egg shells on the snow n when it melts in spring sinks into the soil. Then we turn the soil...

ā€œNo, no, Castor is only admiring, not fertilizing, the tomatoesā€ lolll

Coffee and egg shells would have been great but we have such a tiny garden (30 sq m) with neighbours on the other side of the fence, so getting a bokashi compost started would probably be a better option here. I've thought of that for several years... so perhaps will happen sometime in the future :unsure:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Coffee and egg shells would have been great but we have such a tiny garden (30 sq m) with neighbours on the other side of the fence, so getting a bokashi compost started would probably be a better option here. I've thought of that for several years... so perhaps will happen sometime in the future :unsure:

Even if itā€™s 30sq m you still can do it.

We made a compost box on the opposite side of the yard wit pallets n my friend owns chicken so I buy my eggs from her. We pick up all summer her chickenā€™s straw thatā€™s full of poop n put it in our compost n in the spring we throw it all in the garden a month before planting. Great stuff!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
Castor helped me pick the tomatoes - too cold for them to ripen outdoors now. They are so green and beautiful! And weird shapes. :D

tomatplockaren1.jpg

tomatplockaren2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] wow nice!!! Yes they are really shaped weird but they are so meaty. We both live in a long winter country so I sure get it lol

How did you find as taste the ones that ripped? Also your dad?

Why Iā€™m going to do for next year is start them much earlier. I bought a big tent with special light to start early next spring. Here we still can get snow in May n tomatoes needs heat. Will see.. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 wow nice!!! Yes they are really shaped weird but they are so meaty. We both live in a long winter country so I sure get it lol

How did you find as taste the ones that ripped? Also your dad?

Why Iā€™m going to do for next year is start them much earlier. I bought a big tent with special light to start early next spring. Here we still can get snow in May n tomatoes needs heat. Will see.. :)

We liked them a lot - my parents too, but my dad said the taste of his cocktail tomatoes (you know the small ones) is stronger! He always used to bring back seeds from all over the world (he used to travel a lot) so now it was so nice that I could give him a plant grown from a seed from Canada! I think these Canadian tomatoes are very meaty, as you say, so more for cooking perhaps than to snack on. We have had them in sallads and in some tomato sauce. We have saved seeds and will definitely frow them again next year!

Something else I'll try again next year is cucumber. This summer I tried baby cucumber in pots and they were so good, but I sowed too late so only got two cucumbers... Next year I'll start earlier and take better care of them.

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online