Need Gardening HELP Please

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I just love this thread and I learn a lot too! I usually don't prune tomatoes but this year I definitely need to do so as I have too many plants. My garden is really small - about 30 square metres (ca 320 square feet) so will follow your advice above and remove some of the lower stems.

Tomatoes are still tiny (I don't know the name of this one but it's a midsize red tomato. The original seed came from the botanical garden and my son got it at a sowing workshop several years ago. Every year we collect seeds for next spring.
tomater14juli.JPG

Here's the garden and most of the tomatoes are in the top raised bed, to the right. If you look closely, you can perhaps see my assistant, sleeping after having worked in the garden all afternoon.
trÀdgÄrden juli.jpeg

and here is a close-up of him
castor i trÀdgÄrdssÀng.jpeg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Ok so here’s my garden. I have ring beets, coloured carrots, leeks, onions, red romaine lettuce, turnips, 2 kinds of zucchini’s, bell n banana peppers. Not sure if my peppers will grow as June was absolutely cold. Peppers n tomatoes thrive on heat. And flowers. These sunflowers, last year when I cross Canada with Nyala n Duke, I saw on the highway in Saskatchewan sunflowers all long for miles growing wild. I figured when I drive back I will stop n pick a couple. Now they were ONLY about one-two feet high. Why in my garden they are like 5’ I have NO clue. I find them cute cause the were miniature sunflowers. Pffft. Next year they will be gone for sure.

View attachment 117013View attachment 117014View attachment 117015View attachment 117016View attachment 117017View attachment 117018View attachment 117019View attachment 117020View attachment 117021View attachment 117022View attachment 117023View attachment 117024View attachment 117025View attachment 117026

This is indeed a nice garden and hello to Nyala and Jack :) Thanks for posting pics!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This is indeed a nice garden and hello to Nyala and Jack :) Thanks for posting pics!

Thank you! Nyala & Jake says hello too :)

Your garden reminds me when I was in England visiting family. Their backyards are like yours. Very European n cozy. Love them! :yes:

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Oh my goodness! What a beautiful garden! Your garden and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Helene’s gardens are my those of my dreams! I live in a neighborhood that has an HOA and rules, I hope to be moving next year, and I will have a garden like yours and Helene!

I’m so excited for the first red tomato!
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! This thread makes gardening extra special! Thanks for clarifying the pruning!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We’re having a odd summer. June was cold +10ish, July rain rain rain n maybe 4days @30 and August so far 20ish. That sure doesn’t help the tomatoes n peppers :(. The fennel are doing great, onions, leeks, carrots, turnips, zucchini... I think I have like 3 peppers coming out. And idk why my photos are sideways. I haven’t changed anything. Sorry about that.

6817D8DB-C7A5-4584-A18C-1ED13DB2447D.jpeg
C74346D4-751C-4445-B980-6DB5A8524A80.jpeg
81D6F90B-6833-4515-88B3-9AEB6231A96D.jpeg

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] FENNEL YUMMO!!! I wish I was a neighbor...I'd be coming for some!! Since I'm so very new at this I'm not sure when things should be ripe and ready, I still am envious of your garden!!! I only have ripe Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and they are fantastic. The steakhouse (hybrid of beef steak and heirloom) are PLENTY and HUGE but still green. Those are the ones that I am really looking forward to.

Here in PA we've had REALLY HOT weather and I did read that hot and humid will slow the ripening process....did not know that. My friend is growing cucumbers, among other things, and she says that hers are behind a few weeks.....

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Wow!!! That is one awesome garden! Your fennel looks amazing! I planted 2 and neither came up. The rest of my stuff is doing well though with the limited space I have.
What are your green thumb tricks? You most surely have one! [emoji119][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] tomatoes are just starting to ripe. Slow.
[MENTION=18707]thett[/MENTION] I always had a green thumb but... last year I did but fennel about 4” long n planted them. Non worked. They died at 6” long :(. This year I decided to go with seeds. They were planted straight into the garden. Seems they grow better that way. I love fennel so I did some reading up on them. Seems when they are ready to pick, there will be seeds falling off of them. Them falling seeds are supposed to grow back the following year. Will see if it’s true. Doubt I’ll be putting tomatoes next year or peppers. Our summers in Alberta is not long. Maybe one month of on n off heat. Green thumbs is always keeping an eye on your plants n understand the plant’s need. I also buy only non gmo seeds. I start them in little pots with a seeding soil. Light tubes needs to be 2” above the plant as they grow inside. Never too high or it will stretch as it wants to follow the light. If you seed them in soil, they need to be covered or in darkness. But make sure you do not plant a seed deep. Follow the package instructions. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great garden pics! Lots of tomatoes (and grapes!) here but still very green - a month to go or so I think. We've had good weather here but seems to get cold and rainy now, unfortunately. We had hail yesterday that destroyed some flowers.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Uggg sorry about your flowers! Post some pics of your garden now too, LOVE THEM!!

Here are a few from yesterday

58678336346__96775C9C-5F07-4C87-B442-317987198402.JPGIMG_9504.JPG

I am totally sold on the GROW BAGS love, love, love

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Those tomatoes look great! How big are your growbags? Do plants grow better in those bags or are there other advantages? Perhaps we should try such bags next year.

I'll take some pics of my tomatoes tomorrow. For now, here are some grapes (far from ripe - they will get blue)!
druvor.jpeg

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Those tomatoes look great! How big are your growbags? Do plants grow better in those bags or are there other advantages? Perhaps we should try such bags next year.

I'll take some pics of my tomatoes tomorrow. For now, here are some grapes (far from ripe - they will get blue)!
View attachment 117145

Yummy grapes! I used 20 gallon bags, the root pruning through the fabric is what promotes growth, apparently.

Amazon has great price! I will simply pull toots etc at end of season and add soil next year and reuse.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Over the last week or so, my tomatoes have grown so much that not only the plants but also the tomatoes themselves need support. This bunch almost broke the branch so I put an empty pot underneath. Now I can only hope we get a month or so more of warm weather so that the tomatoes actually ripe (some years I pick them and let them ripe indoors).

tomatklase.jpg

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Over the last week or so, my tomatoes have grown so much that not only the plants but also the tomatoes themselves need support. This bunch almost broke the branch so I put an empty pot underneath. Now I can only hope we get a month or so more of warm weather so that the tomatoes actually ripe (some years I pick them and let them ripe indoors).

View attachment 117156

NICE!!!! Yay!!!! Mine are all STILL GREEN.....How do you know when you should pick and ripen inside?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.