ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

LOVE your garden... beautiful!!! And the tomato's in the buckets is a brilliant idea... I would LOVE that many plants, but I'm the ONLY one that eats them!!! Lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I saw these pasque flowers at a clientā€™s house and just loved them. Was first time Iā€™ve seen them n took a photo of it. I started looking for them all over Alberta. Only one nursery had them n was only 3 left. I snatched all 3. Lost 2 but this one is strong enough now n will split it up. Had no room for my tomatoes plants. Why I put them in buckets. Itā€™s original lol.

Yes potatoes in the bags.

I can understand that you love them! When I was a kid, every spring my family went on outings just to look at pasque flowers. I love their furry stems and beautiful flowers. They are placed under special protection here so you cannot pick them, or dig them up, though. The ones we have in garden have been bought and they are a bit bigger than wild Swedish ones.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

LOVE your garden... beautiful!!! And the tomato's in the buckets is a brilliant idea... I would LOVE that many plants, but I'm the ONLY one that eats them!!! Lol

I give some to the kids n sometimes the neighbours as most theyā€™re like my momā€™s age n older. I just like seeing them eating fresh n healthy. I always eat lots of veggies at supper time and so does Nyala n Duke. Root veggies can stay in the soil till frost. Leeks do great till frost. I slice them up n freeze them. Peppers n zucchiniā€™s are the furballs favourites. Right now here 6 bell peppers are $8. Why Iā€™m growing a lot of them. Freeze them too if I get a lot. Gardening is a lot of work but so much healthier.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I can understand that you love them! When I was a kid, every spring my family went on outings just to look at pasque flowers. I love their furry stems and beautiful flowers. They are placed under special protection here so you cannot pick them, or dig them up, though. The ones we have in garden have been bought and they are a bit bigger than wild Swedish ones.

When Iā€™m moving back home in a couple years, they are coming with me along 4 other plants. There is one thatā€™s called lady slippers. The flower really looks like a close slipper. Yellow. They grow wild along the provincial n federal parks. You cannot take any or itā€™s a big ticket n some jail time. Go figure. My 94yr young neighbor, her son use to work for federal police n brought one for her mom way back. A couple years ago she gave me a small one. Iā€™ll take pictures of it when they bloom and post them. Last year when I cross Canada, in Saskatchewan my neighboring province, along a certain small area had miniature sunflowers growing along the highway like 1-2 feet high. I sprinkle the seeds this spring. Seedlings are coming out. Canā€™t wait to see them. Theyā€™re coming with me too. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Iā€™m moving back home in a couple years, they are coming with me along 4 other plants. There is one thatā€™s called lady slippers. The flower really looks like a close slipper. Yellow. They grow wild along the provincial n federal parks. You cannot take any or itā€™s a big ticket n some jail time. Go figure. My 94yr young neighbor, her son use to work for federal police n brought one for her mom way back. A couple years ago she gave me a small one. Iā€™ll take pictures of it when they bloom and post them. Last year when I cross Canada, in Saskatchewan my neighboring province, along a certain small area had miniature sunflowers growing along the highway like 1-2 feet high. I sprinkle the seeds this spring. Seedlings are coming out. Canā€™t wait to see them. Theyā€™re coming with me too. :)

Ah, I looked it up and they actually grow wild in Sweden too but are rare (and under special protection here too)! Looking forward to photos!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Your Garden and plants look awesome! Next year I think I will try an actual in ground garden. All thanks to the thread and inspiration from all!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ah, I looked it up and they actually grow wild in Sweden too but are rare (and under special protection here too)! Looking forward to photos!

Hereā€™s my lady slippers

3D934246-BA37-421D-A273-E5B56D08D5A4.jpeg2F11F1DE-8583-49C0-95C3-25D8BE50B400.jpeg

And ohhhh... yes it fregen snowed tod n itā€™s only 3cel. Had to cover everything. Thatā€™s Alberta for you. Teach me to live near majestic mountains. :yes:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hereā€™s my lady slippers

View attachment 116653View attachment 116654

And ohhhh... yes it fregen snowed tod n itā€™s only 3cel. Had to cover everything. Thatā€™s Alberta for you. Teach me to live near majestic mountains. :yes:

Beautiful - thanks for photos! Rainy here now but it is actually starting look like summer temps (ie jumping between 15 and 25+).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Beautiful - thanks for photos! Rainy here now but it is actually starting look like summer temps (ie jumping between 15 and 25+).

Odd....Photos looks stretched. I havenā€™t changed anything on the phone.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Finally I discovered some flowers on my tomato plants (which now stand about a feet tall). How are your tomato plants growing? We had a cold spring and looking back at photos from last year, it seems like everything here is rather late this year.
tomat midsommar.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally I discovered some flowers on my tomato plants (which now stand about a feet tall). How are your tomato plants growing? We had a cold spring and looking back at photos from last year, it seems like everything here is rather late this year.
View attachment 116743

Same here, right now itā€™s been 8cel.. n raining. Iā€™ve covered my tomatoes. Do have flowers n hey, my 150yr old one has a tomato WHOOOHOOO. Iā€™ll take a photo when it gets warmer.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Same here, right now itā€™s been 8cel.. n raining. Iā€™ve covered my tomatoes. Do have flowers n hey, my 150yr old one has a tomato WHOOOHOOO. Iā€™ll take a photo when it gets warmer.

Wow -please do!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My tomato plants have a few flowers on it... but last night we had a storm, and the plant was knocked over!!! Seems okay... these stupid storms :gloom:

Members online

No members online now.