Need Gardening HELP Please

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 usually dogs donā€™t dig only on a specific planet. IMO Iā€™m sure has to do with the squirrel smell. I would be curious if you buy a new one n plant it without the squirrel smell, see what Castor does.
@sisters3 great looking plants. Yes put them outside to thicken plants. You can start in the shade for an hour n move slowly to the sun as your temperatures are very hot compared to @cefe13 and I.

I have flowers growing on my zucchiniā€™s. A bit too fast as the plant isnā€™t that big to support a zucchini. Geez Dukeā€™s going to be happy. No need to go pick zucchiniā€™s outside as theyā€™re inside lol...

Tomatoes are tall along with the peppers.

View attachment 116356View attachment 116357View attachment 116358

Great pics! Are the peppers bell peppers or chili pepper? Do you grow them outdoors in an ordinary flower bed or do you keep them in the pots? Last year I tried chili outdoors in a raised flower bed and it didn't do very well so I'm thinking of keeping it in my greenhouse this year. Any thoughts?

Re the squirrel, the problem is that he is here every day but I might try with a new plant. Glad to hear you and [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] agree with Castor:)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] usually dogs donā€™t dig only on a specific planet. IMO Iā€™m sure has to do with the squirrel smell. I would be curious if you buy a new one n plant it without the squirrel smell, see what Castor does.
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] great looking plants. Yes put them outside to thicken plants. You can start in the shade for an hour n move slowly to the sun as your temperatures are very hot compared to [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] and I.

I have flowers growing on my zucchiniā€™s. A bit too fast as the plant isnā€™t that big to support a zucchini. Geez Dukeā€™s going to be happy. No need to go pick zucchiniā€™s outside as theyā€™re inside lol...

Tomatoes are tall along with the peppers.

View attachment 116356View attachment 116357View attachment 116358

Awesome plants!!!!!! We're averaging 65 to 70 daily now so I will begin taking the kids outside this afternoon. THANKS to you both!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]
So how are you tomatoes doing? Have they moved out?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Funny I was going to check up on you guys lol

All out... so underground are carrots, turnips, beets, butter lettuce n romaine. Then got fennel, leeks, onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, zucchini of course n put my 5 tomato plants in big buckets. I need to find a few herbs non gmo So I can add in the garden.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

All out... so underground are carrots, turnips, beets, butter lettuce n romaine. Then got fennel, leeks, onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, zucchini of course n put my 5 tomato plants in big buckets. I need to find a few herbs non gmo So I can add in the garden.

I hope to get most of my flowers into the flower beds this weekend and the tomatoes will soon move out too. Would love to grow lettuce but have given up as we have problems with Spanish slugs.

My four-legged gardening assistant has been at work again digging so will need to teach him stay away from the new plants.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I have my one tomato plant in a bag... this is my FIRST time planting a tomato plant!!! Wish me luck... Lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope to get most of my flowers into the flower beds this weekend and the tomatoes will soon move out too. Would love to grow lettuce but have given up as we have problems with Spanish slugs.

My four-legged gardening assistant has been at work again digging so will need to teach him stay away from the new plants.

Trick for slugs is keep washed eggs shells n break them around the plant. Slugs will slash themselves from the hard shells n die there.

For da 4 legged helper, you need the little extendable fence. Unless Casters like Duke n goes through them. Supervision I guess. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have my one tomato plant in a bag... this is my FIRST time planting a tomato plant!!! Wish me luck... Lol

Whoooohooo..... I have 2 bags for potatoes. Tomatoes donā€™t have big roots so the do good in bags or buckets.

Photos!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Trick for slugs is keep washed eggs shells n break them around the plant. Slugs will slash themselves from the hard shells n die there.

For da 4 legged helper, you need the little extendable fence. Unless Casters like Duke n goes through them. Supervision I guess. :)

Thanks; that's a new trick (I thought I had tried everything :yes:). Will try that if I go back to lettuce! We have tried copper tape and really rough surfaces but that hasn't helped. Apart from slug hunting every evening, the only thing that has kept them out is iron phosphate but I don't want to add anything to the soil when I grow things to eat. Thank goodness the slugs haven't been interested in tomatoes.

And yes, extendable fences sounds like a good idea. Our problem is that our garden realy is so tiny, though, that if I fenced in the flower beds, we would have fence everywhere. So supervision it will have to be (or acceptance!).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks; that's a new trick (I thought I had tried everything :yes:). Will try that if I go back to lettuce! We have tried copper tape and really rough surfaces but that hasn't helped. Apart from slug hunting every evening, the only thing that has kept them out is iron phosphate but I don't want to add anything to the soil when I grow things to eat. Thank goodness the slugs haven't been interested in tomatoes.

And yes, extendable fences sounds like a good idea. Our problem is that our garden realy is so tiny, though, that if I fenced in the flower beds, we would have fence everywhere. So supervision it will have to be (or acceptance!).

Itā€™s and old trick but you can also put some around your tomatoes. Anywhere you see slugs. Also itā€™s great fertilizer to turn back into the earth the following year.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Hi!! Sorry for the delay....busy weekend, including moving my babies OUTSIDE LOL I was so nervous that I was doing something wrong but so far so good!! I will shoot some photos this evening and share :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

How exciting!!! Don't forget to post progress photos! I have totally enjoyed the entire process. I am planting mine in fabric grow bags, is that what you are doing too?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

EXCITING!! Please post photos too, let's see all the magic we are producing :)

Something interesting, I have a cement planter that needed something, it sits in a mulch bed around a black post lamp and I planted red, white, and blue flowers. Well, I wanted a non-blooming grass of some sort. Have you ever heard of Rubrum grass? Its an annual grass which is what I wanted, it's really cool, check it out on google :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
EXCITING!! Please post photos too, let's see all the magic we are producing :)

Something interesting, I have a cement planter that needed something, it sits in a mulch bed around a black post lamp and I planted red, white, and blue flowers. Well, I wanted a non-blooming grass of some sort. Have you ever heard of Rubrum grass? Its an annual grass which is what I wanted, it's really cool, check it out on google :)

Lovely grass - how high will it get? I've been thinking of introducing some kind of perennial blooming grass but am afraid they will get too big for my tiny garden. An annual like Rubrum might be what I need! What flowers do you grow with it? Looking forward to seeing pics of your flowers and tomotoes! My tomatoes are still in pots and they haven't grown much since it's still only about 15 C (about 60 F) but will deal with them over the weekend, hopefully.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Lovely grass - how high will it get? I've been thinking of introducing some kind of perennial blooming grass but am afraid they will get too big for my tiny garden. An annual like Rubrum might be what I need! What flowers do you grow with it? Looking forward to seeing pics of your flowers and tomotoes! My tomatoes are still in pots and they haven't grown much since it's still only about 15 C (about 60 F) but will deal with them over the weekend, hopefully.

Mature will get to a Height of 3 to 5 feet with a spread of 2 to 4 feet, however I put mine in a large, cement container and in our planting zone (central Pennsylvania) it's considered an annual plant, in warmer states it's perennial. In that same planting area I have Geraniums for the red, White Begonia for the white, Laguna Sky Blue (Lobelia) for the blue. I really like it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.