sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I replanted to their final stage. Here we canā€™t plant outside too fast. Yesterday we got dumped with 20cm of snow!
:yell::yell::yell:

Nights are still under zero... so will be growing inside for another month.

Zucchini are getting too big. Next year they will be seeded a month later. Tomatoes I planted them a bit deeper so the stem thickens and the peppers are getting firmer now. I have a good size garden but veggies do take n needs space. With the onions, leeks, zucchiniā€™s, carrots, beets, fennel, peppers my tomatoes are going in big buckets. I only have 3 little yellow grape tomatoes for my salads n my 150yr old beefsteak tomato plant which that one is going in the garden. Need to keep them seeds going and them dogs on the other side of the garden. Dukeā€™s a zucchini hogger.

Ohhhhhh Uggggg!! SNOW??? That is totally UNCALLED FOR :) 150 year old plant, that is amazing!!!!! Can't wait to see photos of that big boy!! I am traveling on business this week, on the road until May 3rd, I miss my dog AND my tomato plants LOL !!!! Hope they're ok until I get home HAHAHAHAHA

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Sorry to hear you got snow... so not what one wants now!

I replanted my tomatoes today - deep down in the pot to make them a bit more chubby. They went from tall to very small, he he!

View attachment 116278

SWEET!!!! I got (12) done before I left for a business trip BUT I need more pots......so hopefully they're all ok until I get home. The ones that I did finish were the tallest ones and planted deep too....FINGERS CROSSED!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I see fresh veggies in your future.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
@sisiter3 before leaving, did you train Joey to bring the water canister to your male species as a reminder?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
150 year old plant, that is amazing!!!!!
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Saw that too - surely it cannot be the same tomato plant, but a descendant? At least here, tomato plants are annuals but we save seeds and use for next year.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Saw that too - surely it cannot be the same tomato plant, but a descendant? At least here, tomato plants are annuals but we save seeds and use for next year.

This his what happened....

I went with my elderly neighbors in their late 80s (I was the driver) to one of their friends house...Bruce the friend was 80yrs young and that was 3yrs ago. Bruce had kept in his freezer seeds that belong to his grandfather. There was 2 little brown envelopes. Original grandpaā€™s little envelope and like you said the descendant bigger envelope. He takes his little envelopes out of his top freezer, comes wobbling to the living room with his little envelopes, a knife n scotch tape where we were sitting. Sits down on the edge of the sofa so he can put them down on the coffee table. Takes his time reads whatā€™s written on them. Cute! He takes the grandfather envelope first, opens it up, seeds were in a piece of paper towel. Unfold the towel. There wasnā€™t much seeds as I would say like 30 seeds. Takes the knife, grabs some seeds and put them on another piece of paper towel. My neighbors being older didnā€™t want anything was more to just go say hello to their friend. Bruce gave me 8 seeds n my neighbors took only 2 seeds. I gave 2 to my eldest son. Bruce was very meticulous with the 10seeds. Never touched them once, spread the seeds so they donā€™t touch one another, folded the towel in a specific way, put the towel in a little brown envelope. Grabs the tape n sticks a piece on top of the envelope. He wrote on top of the tape with a thin black felt pen what was inside. He said....never write on any envelope that holds seeds as the ink penetrates n will ruined the seeds. I didnā€™t take any of the descendant seeds since heā€™s given me the grandfather ones. Bruce had all his head as we say. I didnā€™t feel or noticed anything abnormal from him. Thatā€™s his story. Is it true! I donā€™t know. But the way he was handling the seeds, the tape, the pen, his stories, I believed him. According to my neighbors, Bruce is from their youth. Honest old farmer. I only planted one seed as you noticed. Iā€™ll kept the other 5 seeds in my freezer. They are coming with me when I move back home. Will see what this plant gives. I will definitely keep the descendant going as they are heirloom/non gmo and thatā€™s good enough for me.

I just love stories from an elderā€™s past and how they tell their stories. Itā€™s like beautiful memories for them and they always smile when they tell their stories.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

I went with my elderly neighbors in their late 80s (I was the driver) to one of their friends house...Bruce the friend was 80yrs young and that was 3yrs ago. Bruce had kept in his freezer seeds that belong to his grandfather. There was 2 little brown envelopes. Original grandpaā€™s little envelope and like you said the descendant bigger envelope. He takes his little envelopes out of his top freezer, comes wobbling to the living room with his little envelopes, a knife n scotch tape where we were sitting. Sits down on the edge of the sofa so he can put them down on the coffee table. Takes his time reads whatā€™s written on them. Cute! He takes the grandfather envelope first, opens it up, seeds were in a piece of paper towel. Unfold the towel. There wasnā€™t much seeds as I would say like 30 seeds. Takes the knife, grabs some seeds and put them on another piece of paper towel. My neighbors being older didnā€™t want anything was more to just go say hello to their friend. Bruce gave me 8 seeds n my neighbors took only 2 seeds. I gave 2 to my eldest son. Bruce was very meticulous with the 10seeds. Never touched them once, spread the seeds so they donā€™t touch one another, folded the towel in a specific way, put the towel in a little brown envelope. Grabs the tape n sticks a piece on top of the envelope. He wrote on top of the tape with a thin black felt pen what was inside. He said....never write on any envelope that holds seeds as the ink penetrates n will ruined the seeds. I didnā€™t take any of the descendant seeds since heā€™s given me the grandfather ones. Bruce had all his head as we say. I didnā€™t feel or noticed anything abnormal from him. Thatā€™s his story. Is it true! I donā€™t know. But the way he was handling the seeds, the tape, the pen, his stories, I believed him. According to my neighbors, Bruce is from their youth. Honest old farmer. I only planted one seed as you noticed. Iā€™ll kept the other 5 seeds in my freezer. They are coming with me when I move back home. Will see what this plant gives. I will definitely keep the descendant going as they are heirloom/non gmo and thatā€™s good enough for me.

I just love stories from an elderā€™s past and how they tell their stories. Itā€™s like beautiful memories for them and they always smile when they tell their stories.

Wonderful - thanks for sharing!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Great story, thank you very much for sharing!!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I bought a marguerite flower plant some time ago and planted it in our little garden. Everything was fine for a few days until Castor repeatedly tried to dig it up. Finally he managed and I repanted it in another place a week ago. Today he was at it again, and now I gave up and threw the plant away.

Any ideas? We have other types of daisies in the garden that he doesn't care for, but this specific plant didn't stand a chance. It was quite small, onyl leaves, so the smell cannot have benn that strong.

We have a squirrel who sits and eats here quiet often and I wonder if it might have peed on the plant or something so that Castor decided to get rid of it. Hm... most irritating - I was hoping for lovely marguerite flowers this summer.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I bought a marguerite flower plant some time ago and planted it in our little garden. Everything was fine for a few days until Castor repeatedly tried to dig it up. Finally he managed and I repanted it in another place a week ago. Today he was at it again, and now I gave up and threw the plant away.

Any ideas? We have other types of daisies in the garden that he doesn't care for, but this specific plant didn't stand a chance. It was quite small, onyl leaves, so the smell cannot have benn that strong.

We have a squirrel who sits and eats here quiet often and I wonder if it might have peed on the plant or something so that Castor decided to get rid of it. Hm... most irritating - I was hoping for lovely marguerite flowers this summer.

Uggg BUMMER!! I had to look it up, it's beautiful!!! Have you had them before or is this the first time? Maybe you're on to something with the squirrel thing!!!

BTW I have repotted the "babies" twice already!! Doing really good but I need to begin hardening them soon.....right? Outside for an hour or so each day???

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Uggg BUMMER!! I had to look it up, it's beautiful!!! Have you had them before or is this the first time? Maybe you're on to something with the squirrel thing!!!

BTW I have repotted the "babies" twice already!! Doing really good but I need to begin hardening them soon.....right? Outside for an hour or so each day???

Yes, they are beautiful, when not dug up by the assistant gardener... I haven't had that type before here, but they are very common and Castor has never even looked at them before. I suspect we need to trust Castor who claims it's the squirrel's fault :D

Great to hear about your tomatoes! How big are they now? And yes, taking them out for a few hours per day before they have adjusted before planting them outdoors. Not sure about sun or shade for the hardening. Many plants do much better in the shade (less of a shock, I suppose) so probably that's better. I have mine in my little green house but recently it's been so cold here that they haven't grown much.

tomater 9maj.JPG

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, they are beautiful, when not dug up by the assistant gardener... I haven't had that type before here, but they are very common and Castor has never even looked at them before. I suspect we need to trust Castor who claims it's the squirrel's fault :D

Great to hear about your tomatoes! How big are they now? And yes, taking them out for a few hours per day before they have adjusted before planting them outdoors. Not sure about sun or shade for the hardening. Many plants do much better in the shade (less of a shock, I suppose) so probably that's better. I have mine in my little green house but recently it's been so cold here that they haven't grown much.

View attachment 116350

Yes.....trust assistant gardener Caster!! LOL

They range from 4" to 6" - 7" and looking really strong :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] usually dogs donā€™t dig only on a specific planet. IMO Iā€™m sure has to do with the squirrel smell. I would be curious if you buy a new one n plant it without the squirrel smell, see what Castor does.
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] great looking plants. Yes put them outside to thicken plants. You can start in the shade for an hour n move slowly to the sun as your temperatures are very hot compared to [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] and I.

I have flowers growing on my zucchiniā€™s. A bit too fast as the plant isnā€™t that big to support a zucchini. Geez Dukeā€™s going to be happy. No need to go pick zucchiniā€™s outside as theyā€™re inside lol...

Tomatoes are tall along with the peppers.

80B15DBE-F43B-4D83-A8AC-66B9EA33DE76.jpeg327D13D4-8A7B-4E2F-9FA5-8C14BDA2B910.jpeg35857655-B51D-43B5-91B0-3CC56ECD74B8.jpeg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.