Need Gardening HELP Please

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] that net thing is decomposing material. You can plant the whole thing into earth and the roots will go through them. [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] your tomatoes are tall n flopping which means, next year, lower your light almost to the tip of the plant. Raise light as they grow. Once the plant is more sturdy and holds without flopping, you can raise light much higher then. If light is too high a plant will stretch out faster towards the light. Looking at them, take the longer ones, pinch/open the bottom of that net/material and replant them. Leave the first leaves about one inch not more than 2 above the earth.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] They look great but I don't think you should re-pot them yet. I wonder what the net-like thing is around them? Is it some organic material that will decompose as you re-pot them? I have some years made pots from old newspapers (like this) but this year I've been lazy and have used some peat pots and then ordinary plastic ones. Will update with my tomatoes later - now time for Castor's afternoon walk!

Thanks!!! I will wait on the re-potting, that helps me! So.....I used Burpee netted Coir Seed starting pellets, just add water and they expand. Here is what it says: "The netting is made from 100% organic cotton; you just plant the whole thing in the ground. The roots (of all plants regardless of size) will just grow right through the netting. Eventually the netting decomposes, but that is usually after you harvest"

It says you can rip the sides if you want but be sure not to rip any tender roots. So, I assume they are telling me the truth LOL

Cool newspaper pots!!! What are peat pots?? I was going to re-pot into styrofoam cups but.....should I ?

Enjoy your walk, looking forward to your tomato update! Hugs to Castor!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] that net thing is decomposing material. You can plant the whole thing into earth and the roots will go through them. [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] your tomatoes are tall n flopping which means, next year, lower your light almost to the tip of the plant. Raise light as they grow. Once the plant is more sturdy and holds without flopping, you can raise light much higher then. If light is too high a plant will stretch out faster towards the light. Looking at them, take the longer ones, pinch/open the bottom of that net/material and replant them. Leave the first leaves about one inch not more than 2 above the earth.

Oh...........................GREAT info Helene thanks!!! Will they still be ok even though they are floppy ?? First leaves meaning the "fake ones" or the true leaves?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So here are some tomatoes and the bulldog gardener himself at work. [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I think peat pots are often called jiffy pots - really convenient pots although a bit expensive, and they are made of peat, ie decomposed organic matter. Just like with your netted pots, you plant the whole thing and the peat then contains nutrition for the plant.
tomater.JPG
tomater2.JPG

Great to see everyone's plants!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So here are some tomatoes and the bulldog gardener himself at work.
@sisters3 Peat pots are often called jiffy pots - really convenient pots although a bit expensive, and they are made of peat, ie decomposed organic matter. Just like with your netted pots, you plant the whole thing and the peat then contains nutrition for the plant. I had some that I used for sweet peas this year. They are on the shelf right above Castor's head, in some old ice cream containers.
View attachment 116215

View attachment 116216

Great to see everyone's plants!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] Wow yours look really good!! I think that mine got too tall before getting their "true leaves" as [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Helene mentioned. I will know better next time to LOWER those lights :)

So funny that Castor is right there with you, Joey does the same thing...not just with the plants either, I mean everything...Which I love!

Thanks for the information on the pots too, I need to decide and get them purchase AND I MUST decide on food for the babies now....maybe I will go this weekend :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh...........................GREAT info Helene thanks!!! Will they still be ok even though they are floppy ?? First leaves meaning the "fake ones" or the true leaves?

The ones that are too high needs replanting as mentioned. Reason why their stems are thinner. If you plant them deeper as you notice on ours, the stem is thicker. Yours are doing great! Just replant them deeper as mentioned above. They will be fine. Make sure you water them as replanting takes a bit of shock. Water will perk them right back up. :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
The ones that are too high needs replanting as mentioned. Reason why their stems are thinner. If you plant them deeper as you notice on ours, the stem is thicker. Yours are doing great! Just replant them deeper as mentioned above. They will be fine. Make sure you water them as replanting takes a bit of shock. Water will perk them right back up. :)

I am so happy that I started this thread with my questions! Imagine getting the best gardening help from my bulldog family! This is great! Thanks again to you and [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION]!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I am LOVING this thread... even though I just completed Master Gardener training, I do NOT consider myself a master at all. ESPECIALLY with vegetable gardens... I haven't had the time or space to start one. I have considered getting a light system to place in my garage to start seedling for flowers. I just haven't had the time to do the research to get it started...

I wish you all the best w/your new seedlings!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I very much appreciate this thread too! Great to see new ways of doing things and to follow each other's work!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When I first started in my 20’s n first home, trust me I did a lot of mistakes n learned from them. Living in Montreal is so not like living in Central Alberta. Here you can get snow in June or July so there goes your hard work. Back home I had flowers from spring to December. Always had a blooming garden. It’s all about calculation, what blooms n when and especially what zone your in. You absolutely need to know your zoning #. Took years to learn gardening. Trying to grow flowers or veggies in Alberta sure can be very frustrating at times. But heh, you learn with your errors and next thing you know you created a beautiful garden. If it’s veggies, you get to eat fresh organic on your plate!! I always loved gardening it’s like my “getaway” from a long day. Great for the mind.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am LOVING this thread... even though I just completed Master Gardener training, I do NOT consider myself a master at all. ESPECIALLY with vegetable gardens... I haven't had the time or space to start one. I have considered getting a light system to place in my garage to start seedling for flowers. I just haven't had the time to do the research to get it started...

I wish you all the best w/your new seedlings!!!

Thanks! This thread and the help from gardening buddies has saved me LOL, I didn’t want this to be a failure because I sure love it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I replanted to their final stage. Here we can’t plant outside too fast. Yesterday we got dumped with 20cm of snow!
:yell::yell::yell:

Nights are still under zero... so will be growing inside for another month.

Zucchini are getting too big. Next year they will be seeded a month later. Tomatoes I planted them a bit deeper so the stem thickens and the peppers are getting firmer now. I have a good size garden but veggies do take n needs space. With the onions, leeks, zucchini’s, carrots, beets, fennel, peppers my tomatoes are going in big buckets. I only have 3 little yellow grape tomatoes for my salads n my 150yr old beefsteak tomato plant which that one is going in the garden. Need to keep them seeds going and them dogs on the other side of the garden. Duke’s a zucchini hogger.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Sorry to hear you got snow... so not what one wants now!

I replanted my tomatoes today - deep down in the pot to make them a bit more chubby. They went from tall to very small, he he!

omplantering av tomater.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Sorry to hear you got snow... so not what one wants now!

I replanted my tomatoes today - deep down in the pot to make them a bit more chubby. They went from tall to very small, he he!

View attachment 116278

Nice!!! Don’t worry they’ll grow stronger.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.