Need Gardening HELP Please

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks Helene! My tomatoes are going into grow bags this year so I will purchase good soil. All that I've read says that I should start feeding the seedlings after the first (2) sets of true leaves BEFORE planting outside. One with the N, the P, and the K......

You can since you’re going to plant in bags with good soil. Btw they do sell tomato soil so all in already balanced in the soil.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
You can since you’re going to plant in bags with good soil. Btw they do sell tomato soil so all in already balanced in the soil.

Oh wow!!!!! I will totally be looking for that soil around here.....Thank you again!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] how are your tomatoes coming along? It got all cold here again but I have started to take my seedlings out for a couple of hours a day. I got a simple plastic greenhouse and decided to try to harden the plants off slowly, hoping they won' t grow too quickly this way. Let's if it works.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] how are your tomatoes coming along? It got all cold here again but I have started to take my seedlings out for a couple of hours a day. I got a simple plastic greenhouse and decided to try to harden the plants off slowly, hoping they won' t grow too quickly this way. Let's if it works.

Hi !! They're starting second set of "true leaves" so pretty good. I guess probably I should re-pot soon ??? I have not started to "harden them" Should I ??? Yikes....hope I am not late on that.....

Oh I'd love to see the greenhouse!!! Do you have a photo? Are yours all doing well ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi !! They're starting second set of "true leaves" so pretty good. I guess probably I should re-pot soon ??? I have not started to "harden them" Should I ??? Yikes....hope I am not late on that.....

Oh I'd love to see the greenhouse!!! Do you have a photo? Are yours all doing well ?

Probably warmer where you are than us. Wait a longer to take them out or report them if your 2nd leaves are coming out.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Probably warmer where you are than us. Wait a longer to take them out or report them if your 2nd leaves are coming out.

Thanks!!! I was wondering when they should be re-potted. I've invested too much time and LOVE at this point to screw up now LOL

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

The green house is not pretty, but so far functional! It's four feet high and has three shelves and plastic raincoat with zippers on top. I take the seedlings out late morning and in again after dinner at night. Days are now 7-10 degrees Centigrade (45-50F) but nights are cold, so can't leave them out. Some of the flowers grow too quickly indoors and get all long and leggy so this is me trying to slow down their growth a bit.

växthus.JPG

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
The green house is not pretty, but so far functional! It's four feet high and has three shelves and plastic raincoat with zippers on top. I take the seedlings out late morning and in again after dinner at night. Days are now 7-10 degrees Centigrade (45-50F) but nights are cold, so can't leave them out. Some of the flowers grow too quickly indoors and get all long and leggy so this is me trying to slow down their growth a bit.

View attachment 116206

WOW that is so very cool!!!!! You know, some of my tomato plants are looking kind of tallish......if they are "leggy" does in affect them at all? I read that I can pinch off the first "fake leaves" when I re-pot them and even plant a lot of the stem....Did I understand that correctly ?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
WOW that is so very cool!!!!! You know, some of my tomato plants are looking kind of tallish......if they are "leggy" does in affect them at all? I read that I can pinch off the first "fake leaves" when I re-pot them and even plant a lot of the stem....Did I understand that correctly ?

Yes, I think you can plant them quite low in the new pot! My seedlings from old tomato seeds have now started growing their second set of leaves and so far they look happy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]. Yes correct, next planting put them deeper.
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] we have same temperature. Btw, what is your real name if you don’t mind me asking? If not all good :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's my tomato, peppers n zucchini
f39125a550fbb0928c5281d0ff03b695.jpg
ee9c5e10a5949f521b5bd1b2869f9a2f.jpg
ef32bc80264a5bc3ecfa29687bbfccab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] THOSE LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!! [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] I just read that same thing about the roots growing from the planted stem, very cool!

I love this thread and you both have been so HELPFUL !!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] They look great but I don't think you should re-pot them yet. I wonder what the net-like thing is around them? Is it some organic material that will decompose as you re-pot them? I have some years made pots from old newspapers (like this) but this year I've been lazy and have used some peat pots and then ordinary plastic ones. Will update with my tomatoes later - now time for Castor's afternoon walk!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.