Need Gardening HELP Please

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
WOW quite the setup Helene! Does everything goes into the garden?

Yes all of them will go. But I do a lot of ā€œstraight seedsā€ into the garden. Like my carrots, zucchini which I tried inside as you see grows too fast, leeks, beets, chard, fave beans... I also do plant shallots. Love them more than onions. This year Iā€™ll only plant just a couple of potatoes in them green bags.

Canā€™t wait to move in a few years. Iā€™m looking for my cottage along a lake but I want minimum one (and more) acreage so I can plant all my veggies for my winter months, need a good size greenhouse and a few chickens for my eggs..Iā€™m a ā€œcity girlā€ but like my tranquility. :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] hereā€™s a gardening question for you. I moved into my house end of September 2017 and the previous owner was a huge gardener. I pulled a bunch of stuff up so I can start my own gardening/plants but her stuff just keeps popping up (strawberries, garlic, lilies for example). Is there any way to actually stop them from coming back year after year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@helsonwheels hereā€™s a gardening question for you. I moved into my house end of September 2017 and the previous owner was a huge gardener. I pulled a bunch of stuff up so I can start my own gardening/plants but her stuff just keeps popping up (strawberries, garlic, lilies for example). Is there any way to actually stop them from coming back year after year?

I would guess you need to dig up all roots to get rid of the previous plants - pulling them up might not be enough. You might need to change soil too.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I would guess you need to dig up all roots to get rid of the previous plants - pulling them up might not be enough. You might need to change soil too.

I should clarify...I didnā€™t just pull them up, I used a shovel to dig them up by the roots. Maybe itā€™s just a process and something I have to do more than once.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I should clarify...I didnā€™t just pull them up, I used a shovel to dig them up by the roots. Maybe itā€™s just a process and something I have to do more than once.

OK! Some plants are stubborn :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] hereā€™s a gardening question for you. I moved into my house end of September 2017 and the previous owner was a huge gardener. I pulled a bunch of stuff up so I can start my own gardening/plants but her stuff just keeps popping up (strawberries, garlic, lilies for example). Is there any way to actually stop them from coming back year after year?

Youā€™re not digging deep enough but whatā€™s odd is garlic usually never regrows unless you plant the bulb end of the fall season. Like [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] mentioned strawberries donā€™t have a long root n lilies. When you say you dug with a shovel, how deep did you go? You need to go a good 2ā€™.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Youā€™re not digging deep enough but whatā€™s odd is garlic usually never regrows unless you plant the bulb end of the fall season. Like [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] mentioned strawberries donā€™t have a long root n lilies. When you say you dug with a shovel, how deep did you go? You need to go a good 2ā€™.

I did not go 2 feet. I dug and just pulled the plant up with the roots. I know strawberries spread very easily. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s garlic thatā€™s coming up cause thatā€™s what it was last year. And Iā€™m not exactly sure the kind of lily but theyā€™re super tall. The other day is when I noticed them coming up again. Once it stops raining Iā€™ll get out there and dig them all up again and go deeper.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadly Citty you need to dig deep without breaking the roots or they will come back. Your lilies, what like of flower was it? You have a pic? I have a funny feeling itā€™s day lilies.

68CCDA85-86DC-40B6-AB60-332B734F6663.jpeg 7ACBFAD8-F4C7-4711-832A-FAAFDB3C72E1.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadly Citty you need to dig deep without breaking the roots or they will come back. Your lilies, what like of flower was it? You have a pic? I have a funny feeling itā€™s day lilies.

View attachment 116096 View attachment 116097

Not the first picture, something closer to the second pic. Theyā€™re just now sprouting through the ground but last year they got fairly tall.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not the first picture, something closer to the second pic. Theyā€™re just now sprouting through the ground but last year they got fairly tall.

Why donā€™t you just dig around them a good foot to grab the whole thing n transplant them elsewhere or divide it into 2 parts? You can even cut these flowers for the house. Plant them in a good sunny area. I recall when I was young 20ish....I always wanted a flower garden n couldnā€™t afford all the flowers I loved. I would go dig them out from people ā€˜s garden. Yes I asked first lol... thatā€™s how I learned so much about gardening. I for sure went through all sorts of issues but keep learning from my errors. Why I got a green thumb today. I never destroyed any plants, I always used them throughout the garden or simply plant what I didnā€™t want on the other side of a fence.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Why donā€™t you just dig around them a good foot to grab the whole thing n transplant them elsewhere or divide it into 2 parts? You can even cut these flowers for the house. Plant them in a good sunny area. I recall when I was young 20ish....I always wanted a flower garden n couldnā€™t afford all the flowers I loved. I would go dig them out from people ā€˜s garden. Yes I asked first lol... thatā€™s how I learned so much about gardening. I for sure went through all sorts of issues but keep learning from my errors. Why I got a green thumb today. I never destroyed any plants, I always used them throughout the garden or simply plant what I didnā€™t want on the other side of a fence.

I donā€™t mind the Lilyā€™s so much as the strawberries. The strawberries cover half of my yard. I did want to try planting a hydrangea where the lilyā€™s are.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I donā€™t mind the Lilyā€™s so much as the strawberries. The strawberries cover half of my yard. I did want to try planting a hydrangea where the lilyā€™s are.

Remove the lilies n plant them elsewhere. For the strawberries, yes if half your yard is only that youā€™ll need to dig them out or rent yourself a rototiller to turn the earth which that will ripe all roots for sure. Then you just have to pick up the roots n discard them. Landscaping is not an easy job but great exercise.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes all of them will go. But I do a lot of ā€œstraight seedsā€ into the garden. Like my carrots, zucchini which I tried inside as you see grows too fast, leeks, beets, chard, fave beans... I also do plant shallots. Love them more than onions. This year Iā€™ll only plant just a couple of potatoes in them green bags.

Canā€™t wait to move in a few years. Iā€™m looking for my cottage along a lake but I want minimum one (and more) acreage so I can plant all my veggies for my winter months, need a good size greenhouse and a few chickens for my eggs..Iā€™m a ā€œcity girlā€ but like my tranquility. :)

Omg sounds like a dream! Oh and I adore shallots! Canā€™t wait to see pics of your garden! I can envision your future cottage too!

Oh, I want to purchase the fertilizer food for when I re-pot my seedlings. I saw this one in an article https://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Har...ro-20&linkId=3dde486a7d13a9c25d07382ca1e7e11b

Thoughts?? I've read that once I re-pot the babies I should begin feeding......

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Omg sounds like a dream! Oh and I adore shallots! Canā€™t wait to see pics of your garden! I can envision your future cottage too!

Oh, I want to purchase the fertilizer food for when I re-pot my seedlings. I saw this one in an article https://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Har...ro-20&linkId=3dde486a7d13a9c25d07382ca1e7e11b

Thoughts?? I've read that once I re-pot the babies I should begin feeding......

I only stick to good old fashion fertilizer like my grandpa was chicken manure. Man his tomatoes were massive. I do like shrimp fertilizer too. But bare in mine it all depends on the soil of YOUR garden. You might need a fertilizer thatā€™s completely different. Basically if you have a good solid root, your plant will thrive. For tomatoes, you can buy a tomato fertilizer.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I only stick to good old fashion fertilizer like my grandpa was chicken manure. Man his tomatoes were massive. I do like shrimp fertilizer too. But bare in mine it all depends on the soil of YOUR garden. You might need a fertilizer thatā€™s completely different. Basically if you have a good solid root, your plant will thrive. For tomatoes, you can buy a tomato fertilizer.

Thanks Helene! My tomatoes are going into grow bags this year so I will purchase good soil. All that I've read says that I should start feeding the seedlings after the first (2) sets of true leaves BEFORE planting outside. One with the N, the P, and the K......

Most Reactions