Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Canning is basically not just Masson jars. Canning is just a term. You can use ziplock bags like [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] does n freeze your tomatoes or like what you see in your groceries stores the jams, any sauces even anything in a can is canning. Just remember one important thing about canning, if you use cloves of garlic, always make sure the garlic stays at the bottom of the jar n never works itself to the top for air like under your cap. Thatā€™s when botulism hits. Garlic is the biggest botulism culprit in the food industry n mold. If you see mold on top of example jam or bread, get rid of the whole product as mold continues right down to the bottom of a jar without you seeing it. Canning is what I do as business and every year I have to be updated on food inspection. I sell all over Canada n private customers in US. I love to can, you can save so much money n eat healthy as you know what you put in. Like [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] said, sheā€™s still standing loll

I was home yesterday and actually tried something different and less time consuming...Instant Pot strawberry jam! It actually wasn't too bad at all. It's supposed to last 3 weeks in the fridge and up to a year in the freezer. It was super easy and a quickie too.

All this talk about canning makes me want to do some!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I love this thread and look forward to sharing gardening work-in-progress and hopefully results! We've got this tiny patio garden but there is always room for a few tomato plants!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I love this thread and look forward to sharing gardening work-in-progress and hopefully results! We've got this tiny patio garden but there is always room for a few tomato plants!

I love it too!!! Let's all post here ok? Pre-planting, seedlings, etc. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it all :)

PS: Through research I decided for this year, I am doing container tomato plants, in aeration grow bags (30 gallon bags, reuseable), hope I made the right choice. Too risky to plant into the ground where I live until I have a chance to actually dig a garden LOL. This is, of course, assuming I actually take seeds to seedlings HAHAHAHA

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I love it too!!! Let's all post here ok? Pre-planting, seedlings, etc. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it all :)

PS: Through research I decided for this year, I am doing container tomato plants, in aeration grow bags (30 gallon bags, reuseable), hope I made the right choice. Too risky to plant into the ground where I live until I have a chance to actually dig a garden LOL. This is, of course, assuming I actually take seeds to seedlings HAHAHAHA

Yes, post!

Container tomato plants should work well - when we lived in a flat and just had a balcony, we had tomatoes in pots. I now grow in raised beds and mix tomato plants with annual flowers.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, post!

Container tomato plants should work well - when we lived in a flat and just had a balcony, we had tomatoes in pots. I now grow in raised beds and mix tomato plants with annual flowers.

Since you're familiar with container tomatoes...what do you think of the grow bags? Also, I've read tons about adding bone meal, epsom salt, etc to soil for good growth BUT if I am using a good vegetable potting soil do I need to do all of that? Or is that just for when you plant in the ground?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Since you're familiar with container tomatoes...what do you think of the grow bags? Also, I've read tons about adding bone meal, epsom salt, etc to soil for good growth BUT if I am using a good vegetable potting soil do I need to do all of that? Or is that just for when you plant in the ground?

I'm not familar with grow bags but googled and they look really interesting and good! I used standard plastic or clay pots, 30-40 cm high and 25-35 cm wide and I've grown in plastic buckets too (not elegant but does the job as long as you drill holes to let out excess water!). For soil, I buy standard garden soil and just add a little cow manure fertilizer - all standard stuff from the local garden centre. I am definitely no expert, but I don't think you need lots of special fertilizers as long as the potting soil is suitable.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'm not familar with grow bags but googled and they look really interesting and good! I used standard plastic or clay pots, 30-40 cm high and 25-35 cm wide and I've grown in plastic buckets too (not elegant but does the job as long as you drill holes to let out excess water!). For soil, I buy standard garden soil and just add a little cow manure fertilizer - all standard stuff from the local garden centre. I am definitely no expert, but I don't think you need lots of special fertilizers as long as the potting soil is suitable.

Thanks!! That's what I initially thought too, why add all that if I am already using a good soil. I came across those bags on the show that Helene [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] posted about and so I started researching and they sure make sense and they are a ton cheaper and will store easier for next year (God willing) This is going to be TOTALLY FUN!! I will take some photos of the "babies" when I am finished this weekend.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks!! That's what I initially thought too, why add all that if I am already using a good soil. I came across those bags on the show that Helene [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] posted about and so I started researching and they sure make sense and they are a ton cheaper and will store easier for next year (God willing) This is going to be TOTALLY FUN!! I will take some photos of the "babies" when I am finished this weekend.

Never use bone meal or epsom salt before the seedling plant is standing strong on its own. A good potting seedling soil is all you need to start them off. Unless youā€™re buying the plant already ready to plant outside. I personally always buy non GMO organic seeds. I refuse to have anything to do with Monsanto and them spreading their pesticide ā€œseedsā€ n eating that veggie or fruit. Yes thatā€™s me... :).

In gardening, you will make and learn from you errors. And itā€™s ok as you wonā€™t repeat it. Lol... Basically growing a garden goes with the region you live in. Tomatoes n basil thrives on heat. Ask a nurseryā€™s owner not a temp employee as they know what grows well in your area. Donā€™t need to buy but get a head start and go ask questions. Just a thought.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Never use bone meal or epsom salt before the seedling plant is standing strong on its own. A good potting seedling soil is all you need to start them off. Unless youā€™re buying the plant already ready to plant outside. I personally always buy non GMO organic seeds. I refuse to have anything to do with Monsanto and them spreading their pesticide ā€œseedsā€ n eating that veggie or fruit. Yes thatā€™s me... :).

In gardening, you will make and learn from you errors. And itā€™s ok as you wonā€™t repeat it. Lol... Basically growing a garden goes with the region you live in. Tomatoes n basil thrives on heat. Ask a nurseryā€™s owner not a temp employee as they know what grows well in your area. Donā€™t need to buy but get a head start and go ask questions. Just a thought.

Great info Helene! I just finished reading an article on Monsanto, interesting!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Another idea if you want to grow without making a mess like potatoes are potato sacs. Once grown you flip the pouch and take your potatoes. Great on balconies. Last year I put a tomato plant works great too.
355dc621316197cdb414a75617c34c3d.jpg
a23872be83876de5b6986483baaa97c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Another idea if you want to grow without making a mess like potatoes are potato sacs. Once grown you flip the pouch and take your potatoes. Great on balconies. Last year I put a tomato plant works great too.

Ohhhhhh, very cool!!! AND apparently DUKE APPROVES.....love that face!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Nice sac and what a cute little gardener!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke has a light, laser, flashlight etc issue. If he sees a fast light guaranteed heā€™ll be there searching. Also he loves to pee on them bags. Heā€™s fertilizing them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Btw grow a greener world plays every Saturday morning on pbs

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
IMG_8887.jpg

Well, here are the BABIES.....fingers crossed!!! I had so much fun yesterday!!! I set up my work area, turned on some awesome music, had Joey sleeping at my feet and a cold beer in hand. I really enjoyed getting these started!!

Most Reactions