sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I've done tomatoes once. I planted Big Boy or Better Boy or Bestest Boy...some kind of Boy Tomatoes and watered tham along with my roses and fertilized them with Bone Meal and Blood Meal and some kind of Toamto food. I nurtured those plants and they grew 6' HIGH! They were unreal! I got not a single tomato from any of those 6 plants. Evidently I was supposed to flick the blossoms with my finger to help pollinate them. I figured the Damn Bees would do that. UGH! Never again.

Oh No!!! Ugggg that would bum me OUT !! My Dad grew prize beefsteak tomatoes in his AMAZING garden, that's when I became a tomato snob LOL. I hope that I can channel his talents while I learn, I should have paid better attention......

Oh well, wish me luck! I purchased Burpee seeds, "Steakhouse Hybrid" beefsteaks. Nothing like slicing into a red, warm, juicy tomato....grab a beer, salt and pepper...oh and Joey of course and I'll be very very HAPPY !!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Just ordered my warming pad, thank YOU!! And that is what was in the Epic tomatoes episode...AWESOME!!!!

I recall my grandpa (Italian) many moons ago his beefsteak tomatoes were massive. One slice n it fill the whole bread. And our bread back then werenā€™t small like todayā€™s. He would use chicken manure, NEVER water top of a plant but just the root as tomatoes do rot easily n love heat, he would remove the little tiny in between growth of the major stems as they are the suckers n drains the plant. I still do all of this. 3years ago my old neighbors went to visit one of their friends all 85ish and wanted me to come cause the friend wanted to give my neighbor tomatoe seeds thatā€™s been in his family for over 150years! Hell yeah I went. Gave a few to my son so he continues the seeds. I got a few left in the freezer. Old man told me to freeze them when I store them. Them tomatoes are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICO!!!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I recall my grandpa (Italian) many moons ago his beefsteak tomatoes were massive. One slice n it fill the whole bread. And our bread back then werenā€™t small like todayā€™s. He would use chicken manure, NEVER water top of a plant but just the root as tomatoes do rot easily n love heat, he would remove the little tiny in between growth of the major stems as they are the suckers n drains the plant. I still do all of this. 3years ago my old neighbors went to visit one of their friends all 85ish and wanted me to come cause the friend wanted to give my neighbor tomatoe seeds thatā€™s been in his family for over 150years! Hell yeah I went. Gave a few to my son so he continues the seeds. I got a few left in the freezer. Old man told me to freeze them when I store them. Them tomatoes are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICO!!!!

OMG what an awesome story!! Thanks for the tips too, PLEASE keep them coming!! What kind of tomatoes did the elderly man grow?

This weekend I will start all of the tomato plants, the beefsteak and super sweet 100 cherry. I have all of my supplies gathered except waiting on warming mat which should be here tomorrow. Do you use a grow light? I didn't see you mention.....Do you start all of your plants from seed?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG what an awesome story!! Thanks for the tips too, PLEASE keep them coming!! What kind of tomatoes did the elderly man grow?

This weekend I will start all of the tomato plants, the beefsteak and super sweet 100 cherry. I have all of my supplies gathered except waiting on warming mat which should be here tomorrow. Do you use a grow light? I didn't see you mention.....Do you start all of your plants from seed?

This is Alberta, Iā€™ve seen snow in July..lol. I use seeds for rooted veggies only cause we donā€™t get much of a summerin the prairies. Back home in Montreal no issue. Summers are normal n longer so I would start a lot from seeds. In them links, he shows you with $25 worth of seeds, you can feed a family for a year. Yes you need to do canning for winter. $25!

Nowadays you can use led light. No need for a special garden seedlings lights. The show/links I send you GGW he started to use led lights n leaves it on 24/7 along with a small fan on the lowest setting. That episode is in that link somewhere. Really interested episode.

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/starting-from-seed/

This is one link but not the one he uses led light. N led lights are NOT put right above trays but 2-3 feet above on the wall..

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
This is Alberta, Iā€™ve seen snow in July..lol. I use seeds for rooted veggies only cause we donā€™t get much of a summerin the prairies. Back home in Montreal no issue. Summers are normal n longer so I would start a lot from seeds. In them links, he shows you with $25 worth of seeds, you can feed a family for a year. Yes you need to do canning for winter. $25!

Nowadays you can use led light. No need for a special garden seedlings lights. The show/links I send you GGW he started to use led lights n leaves it on 24/7 along with a small fan on the lowest setting. That episode is in that link somewhere. Really interested episode.

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/starting-from-seed/

This is one link but not the one he uses led light. N led lights are NOT put right above trays but 2-3 feet above on the wall..

Thanks Helene!! I spent SO MUCH MONEY last year on OTHER PEOPLES PLANTS, mostly failed......which brings me to now, PLUS I LOVE IT :)

I am totally hooked on Growing a Greener World!! Thank you for sharing, maybe canning will be my end of summer LEARNING project.....

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks Helene!! I spent SO MUCH MONEY last year on OTHER PEOPLES PLANTS, mostly failed......which brings me to now, PLUS I LOVE IT :)

I am totally hooked on Growing a Greener World!! Thank you for sharing, maybe canning will be my end of summer LEARNING project.....

I love canning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG so......I won't need to go far for HELP HELP HELP.....with learning to can??

Iā€™m no expert but I havenā€™t died from botulism so there you go [emoji23]

Itā€™s scary at first but really not that hard. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it but I try to do it at least a couple times per summer.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Let me know when youā€™re interested in canning. Iā€™m in that business as I sell homemade, handcrafted pesto sauces to major food chain stores. And nowadays you have the internet too :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
OMG so......I won't need to go far for HELP HELP HELP.....with learning to can??

Tomatoes I just put in the freezer. I don't even peel them, just put them in a bag. Canning perhaps makes for more taste and better texture, but freezing is much easier if you just want to use tomatoes in stews, pasta sauces etc.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Iā€™m no expert but I havenā€™t died from botulism so there you go [emoji23]

Itā€™s scary at first but really not that hard. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it but I try to do it at least a couple times per summer.

OMG that CRACKS ME UP!!!! I already asked one of my sisters if she would like to can at the end of summer and she said YES YES YES!! So.......I will be asking....where do I begin and PRAY that I don't get botulism HAHAHAHAHA

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Let me know when youā€™re interested in canning. Iā€™m in that business as I sell homemade, handcrafted pesto sauces to major food chain stores. And nowadays you have the internet too :)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Snap !!!!! This is gonna be EPIC!!!! Thank you!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Tomatoes I just put in the freezer. I don't even peel them, just put them in a bag. Canning perhaps makes for more taste and better texture, but freezing is much easier if you just want to use tomatoes in stews, pasta sauces etc.

Sounds like a quick way to save over the summer, just in case I actually succeed at my tomatoes (which I adore). Funny, I just read that you can take a ripe tomato, core it, and put in ziplock in freezer......

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG that CRACKS ME UP!!!! I already asked one of my sisters if she would like to can at the end of summer and she said YES YES YES!! So.......I will be asking....where do I begin and PRAY that I don't get botulism HAHAHAHAHA

It is super fun! I do water bath and pressure canning so youā€™ll need to decide which (or both) youā€™ll want to do. The pressure canner I have is a little pricey but well worth it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Canning is basically not just Masson jars. Canning is just a term. You can use ziplock bags like [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] does n freeze your tomatoes or like what you see in your groceries stores the jams, any sauces even anything in a can is canning. Just remember one important thing about canning, if you use cloves of garlic, always make sure the garlic stays at the bottom of the jar n never works itself to the top for air like under your cap. Thatā€™s when botulism hits. Garlic is the biggest botulism culprit in the food industry n mold. If you see mold on top of example jam or bread, get rid of the whole product as mold continues right down to the bottom of a jar without you seeing it. Canning is what I do as business and every year I have to be updated on food inspection. I sell all over Canada n private customers in US. I love to can, you can save so much money n eat healthy as you know what you put in. Like [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] said, sheā€™s still standing loll

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.