Need Gardening HELP Please

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am starting my herbs and tomatoes from seeds this year and I have some questions. I won't bother posting them now just in case I don't get any takers out there......

Thanks in advance to any green thumbers that answer :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
How fun - I'm soon to start too! The only herbs I grow from seeds are cilantro and dill; the rest I buy plants as they take too long to develop. Tomatoes we grow from seeds, and annual flowers.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
How fun - I'm soon to start too! The only herbs I grow from seeds are cilantro and dill; the rest I buy plants as they take too long to develop. Tomatoes we grow from seeds, and annual flowers.

Ohhh Hi! I am brand new to starting anything from seeds. So, here are my questions.

They are in the trays now with humidity dome over them, not sprouted yet. When they do sprout (hopefully) do they then go under the grow light? Is this the same for tomato plants? I LOVE TOMATOES !!! So I do not want to ruin them.

Also, can I leave plants in the seed trays OR do I need to put in bigger vessel until planting temp is OK outside?

Any helpful hints would be awesome! and THANKS AGAIN!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am of no help as I use starters for everything. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] might be able to answer your questions. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] might as well but I think she is on vacation so may not be very active on the board right now.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Ohhh Hi! I am brand new to starting anything from seeds. So, here are my questions.

They are in the trays now with humidity dome over them, not sprouted yet. When they do sprout (hopefully) do they then go under the grow light? Is this the same for tomato plants? I LOVE TOMATOES !!! So I do not want to ruin them.

Also, can I leave plants in the seed trays OR do I need to put in bigger vessel until planting temp is OK outside?

I don't use grow lights but put sowing pots and trays on windowsills or on a table close to the window. When the sprouts come up, I think you can remove the lid or at least keep a close eye so that you don't get mould. Tomatoes need to move to bigger pots after a while. I guess it depends on how warm it is outside but we usually replant tomatoes twice before they go into the beds outside. I've planted small (10 cm or so) tomatoes outside without repotting but they were very slow. I often get my tomato plants from my father and they have been repotted twice, which seems to be the right thing to do.

Regarding herbs, I suppose it depends on the temperature, but here cilantro works well sowing outdoors late spring and then sow anew every couple of weeks throughout summer. Dill also outdoors - wouldn't be possible to move the small plants!

Flowers I don't replant; when they are too big for their sowing pots, out they go, and hopefully it's warm enough outdoors.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

You start a thread n wonā€™t ask questions just yet?? That was too funny...

Ok Iā€™ve been gardening since a kid but will admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Grow a greener world. Iā€™m very big on natural organic home grown and learned a lot with this show. Been watching it for decades. Simply go on there website in search button n add whatever youā€™re looking for. Heā€™s DA BEST!!! Btw, when you start seedlings, wait till they pop out and the trick for the fragility new ones, you need a fan blowi on them to have air circulating or they will rot or mould. Needs air and warm roots. Some might put a heating pad under the trays...

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/home-page/episodes/

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/?s=Seeds

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am of no help as I use starters for everything. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] might be able to answer your questions. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] might as well but I think she is on vacation so may not be very active on the board right now.

Youā€™re awesome! Thank you!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I don't use grow lights but put sowing pots and trays on windowsills or on a table close to the window. When the sprouts come up, I think you can remove the lid or at least keep a close eye so that you don't get mould. Tomatoes need to move to bigger pots after a while. I guess it depends on how warm it is outside but we usually replant tomatoes twice before they go into the beds outside. I've planted small (10 cm or so) tomatoes outside without repotting but they were very slow. I often get my tomato plants from my father and they have been repotted twice, which seems to be the right thing to do.

Regarding herbs, I suppose it depends on the temperature, but here cilantro works well sowing outdoors late spring and then sow anew every couple of weeks throughout summer. Dill also outdoors - wouldn't be possible to move the small plants!

Flowers I don't replant; when they are too big for their sowing pots, out they go, and hopefully it's warm enough outdoors.

Exactly what I was looking for. Iā€™m keeping an eye out for mold and being sure to water from below, thatā€™s what I read so I assume thatā€™s what I do LOL. Iā€™m very excited, especially for my tomato plants!

Thank you so much! I may need more help as I go.......

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
You start a thread n wonā€™t ask questions just yet?? That was too funny...

Ok Iā€™ve been gardening since a kid but will admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Grow a greener world. Iā€™m very big on natural organic home grown and learned a lot with this show. Been watching it for decades. Simply go on there website in search button n add whatever youā€™re looking for. Heā€™s DA BEST!!! Btw, when you start seedlings, wait till they pop out and the trick for the fragility new ones, you need a fan blowi on them to have air circulating or they will rot or mould. Needs air and warm roots. Some might put a heating pad under the trays...

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/home-page/episodes/

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/?s=Seeds

Haha I wasnā€™t sure if I would get any help so why waste time LOL. Iā€™m looking for him now!

Concerning the fan, so my garage is not heated so I guess my little guys need to stay inside right? With the grow lights. WHEN do I start with the fan?

I adore planting and thought itā€™s the right time to start my own. My Dad was a master gardener, vegetable and flowers. How I wish he was here for my questions. But so thankful for you both helping me!

Thanks Helene!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Haha I wasnā€™t sure if I would get any help so why waste time LOL. Iā€™m looking for him now!

Concerning the fan, so my garage is not heated so I guess my little guys need to stay inside right? With the grow lights. WHEN do I start with the fan?

I adore planting and thought itā€™s the right time to start my own. My Dad was a master gardener, vegetable and flowers. How I wish he was here for my questions. But so thankful for you both helping me!

Thanks Helene!

If your garage isnā€™t heated you need to keep bottom trays warm. Idk what temperature your area is but great if you have a heating pad. Fan starts when they stick out. Nowadays we use led lights n that can stay on all day if there isnā€™t any day light. No sun!!! Youā€™ll burn them especially if itā€™s seedlings.

My secret to big thick solid green plants......coffee grains!!! Iā€™ve been using my leftover grains for decades. Hmmm I sound old lolll... I drink black coffee so once in a while Iā€™ll add my one-two sips left in my house plant whit a bit of extra water..

Tomatoes

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/episode-803-epic-tomatoes/

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
If your garage isnā€™t heated you need to keep bottom trays warm. Idk what temperature your area is but great if you have a heating pad. Fan starts when they stick out. Nowadays we use led lights n that can stay on all day if there isnā€™t any day light. No sun!!! Youā€™ll burn them especially if itā€™s seedlings.

My secret to big thick solid green plants......coffee grains!!! Iā€™ve been using my leftover grains for decades. Hmmm I sound old lolll... I drink black coffee so once in a while Iā€™ll add my one-two sips left in my house plant whit a bit of extra water..

Tomatoes

Fantastic information!!! I did order a triple LED grow light for after they sprout. After this weekend our daily highs will be in the 50's and 60's BUT garage won't heat up that fast......Great tip on the coffee grounds too!! I am a COFFEE HOUND....so I will have plenty LOL

Thanks so much!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
After they have sprouted and are at a height of about 3" and IF the weather has seen it's last frost...carefully take them outside and heave them into the trash can. Get in your car and go to the grocery store and buy some tomatoes...Romas are preferred.
Now if you are growing Roses( Hybrid Tea, Floribunda, English, etc)...let me know. :D

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
After they have sprouted and are at a height of about 3" and IF the weather has seen it's last frost...carefully take them outside and heave them into the trash can. Get in your car and go to the grocery store and buy some tomatoes...Romas are preferred.
Now if you are growing Roses( Hybrid Tea, Floribunda, English, etc)...let me know. :D

Now THAT'S the way to motivate a new gardener HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :) I'm starting with tomatoes and herbs, maybe flowers (roses) next year....Lord willing :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Tomatoes

Just ordered my warming pad, thank YOU!! And that is what was in the Epic tomatoes episode...AWESOME!!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'm starting with tomatoes...
I've done tomatoes once. I planted Big Boy or Better Boy or Bestest Boy...some kind of Boy Tomatoes and watered tham along with my roses and fertilized them with Bone Meal and Blood Meal and some kind of Toamto food. I nurtured those plants and they grew 6' HIGH! They were unreal! I got not a single tomato from any of those 6 plants. Evidently I was supposed to flick the blossoms with my finger to help pollinate them. I figured the Damn Bees would do that. UGH! Never again.

Members online

No members online now.