Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Hi !! They're starting second set of "true leaves" so pretty good. I guess probably I should re-pot soon ??? I have not started to "harden them" Should I ??? Yikes....hope I am not late on that.....

Oh I'd love to see the greenhouse!!! Do you have a photo? Are yours all doing well ?
    The green house is not pretty, but so far functional! It's four feet high and has three shelves and plastic raincoat with zippers on top. I take the seedlings out late morning and in again after dinner at night. Days are now 7-10 degrees Centigrade (45-50F) but nights are cold, so can't leave them out. Some of the flowers grow too quickly indoors and get all long and leggy so this is me trying to slow down their growth a bit.

-xthus-jpg

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    The green house is not pretty, but so far functional! It's four feet high and has three shelves and plastic raincoat with zippers on top. I take the seedlings out late morning and in again after dinner at night. Days are now 7-10 degrees Centigrade (45-50F) but nights are cold, so can't leave them out. Some of the flowers grow too quickly indoors and get all long and leggy so this is me trying to slow down their growth a bit.

-xthus-jpg
    WOW that is so very cool!!!!! You know, some of my tomato plants are looking kind of tallish......if they are "leggy" does in affect them at all? I read that I can pinch off the first "fake leaves" when I re-pot them and even plant a lot of the stem....Did I understand that correctly ?
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    WOW that is so very cool!!!!! You know, some of my tomato plants are looking kind of tallish......if they are "leggy" does in affect them at all? I read that I can pinch off the first "fake leaves" when I re-pot them and even plant a lot of the stem....Did I understand that correctly ?
    Yes, I think you can plant them quite low in the new pot! My seedlings from old tomato seeds have now started growing their second set of leaves and so far they look happy.

5. Likes helsonwheels, sisters3 liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

@sisters3. Yes correct, next planting put them deeper.
    @cefe13 we have same temperature. Btw, what is your real name if you don’t mind me asking? If not all good

7. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    @sisters3. Yes correct, next planting put them deeper.
    @cefe13 we have same temperature. Btw, what is your real name if you don’t mind me asking? If not all good
    @helsonwheels - sent you a pm!
    @sisters3 I got curious and read up on tomato re-potting and apparently new roots develop from the stem if planted deep!

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Here's my tomato, peppers n zucchini

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

10. Likes cefe13, sisters3, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

@helsonwheels THOSE LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!! @cefe13 I just read that same thing about the roots growing from the planted stem, very cool!

I love this thread and you both have been so HELPFUL !!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

12. Likes helsonwheels, cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Progress photos!! What do you think? Re-Pot soon?

-img_8952-jpg-img_8953-jpg

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@sisters3 They look great but I don't think you should re-pot them yet. I wonder what the net-like thing is around them? Is it some organic material that will decompose as you re-pot them? I have some years made pots from old newspapers (like this) but this year I've been lazy and have used some peat pots and then ordinary plastic ones. Will update with my tomatoes later - now time for Castor's afternoon walk!

15. Likes helsonwheels, sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@cefe13 that net thing is decomposing material. You can plant the whole thing into earth and the roots will go through them. @sisters3 your tomatoes are tall n flopping which means, next year, lower your light almost to the tip of the plant. Raise light as they grow. Once the plant is more sturdy and holds without flopping, you can raise light much higher then. If light is too high a plant will stretch out faster towards the light. Looking at them, take the longer ones, pinch/open the bottom of that net/material and replant them. Leave the first leaves about one inch not more than 2 above the earth.

17. Likes sisters3, cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    @sisters3 They look great but I don't think you should re-pot them yet. I wonder what the net-like thing is around them? Is it some organic material that will decompose as you re-pot them? I have some years made pots from old newspapers (like this) but this year I've been lazy and have used some peat pots and then ordinary plastic ones. Will update with my tomatoes later - now time for Castor's afternoon walk!
    Thanks!!! I will wait on the re-potting, that helps me! So.....I used Burpee netted Coir Seed starting pellets, just add water and they expand. Here is what it says: "The netting is made from 100% organic cotton; you just plant the whole thing in the ground. The roots (of all plants regardless of size) will just grow right through the netting. Eventually the netting decomposes, but that is usually after you harvest"

It says you can rip the sides if you want but be sure not to rip any tender roots. So, I assume they are telling me the truth LOL

Cool newspaper pots!!! What are peat pots?? I was going to re-pot into styrofoam cups but.....should I ?

Enjoy your walk, looking forward to your tomato update! Hugs to Castor!!

19. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    @cefe13 that net thing is decomposing material. You can plant the whole thing into earth and the roots will go through them. @sisters3 your tomatoes are tall n flopping which means, next year, lower your light almost to the tip of the plant. Raise light as they grow. Once the plant is more sturdy and holds without flopping, you can raise light much higher then. If light is too high a plant will stretch out faster towards the light. Looking at them, take the longer ones, pinch/open the bottom of that net/material and replant them. Leave the first leaves about one inch not more than 2 above the earth.
    Oh...........................GREAT info Helene thanks!!! Will they still be ok even though they are floppy ?? First leaves meaning the "fake ones" or the true leaves?

21. Likes cefe13 liked this post
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Remove Ads