Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 314

Thread: Need Gardening HELP Please

  1. #25
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,796
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2653

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    OMG so......I won't need to go far for HELP HELP HELP.....with learning to can??
    Tomatoes I just put in the freezer. I don't even peel them, just put them in a bag. Canning perhaps makes for more taste and better texture, but freezing is much easier if you just want to use tomatoes in stews, pasta sauces etc.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  2. Likes sisters3, helsonwheels liked this post
  3. #26
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3981

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Iím no expert but I havenít died from botulism so there you go

    Itís scary at first but really not that hard. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it but I try to do it at least a couple times per summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OMG that CRACKS ME UP!!!! I already asked one of my sisters if she would like to can at the end of summer and she said YES YES YES!! So.......I will be asking....where do I begin and PRAY that I don't get botulism HAHAHAHAHA
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  4. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  5. #27
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3981

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Let me know when youíre interested in canning. Iím in that business as I sell homemade, handcrafted pesto sauces to major food chain stores. And nowadays you have the internet too
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Snap !!!!! This is gonna be EPIC!!!! Thank you!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  6. #28
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3981

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Tomatoes I just put in the freezer. I don't even peel them, just put them in a bag. Canning perhaps makes for more taste and better texture, but freezing is much easier if you just want to use tomatoes in stews, pasta sauces etc.
    Sounds like a quick way to save over the summer, just in case I actually succeed at my tomatoes (which I adore). Funny, I just read that you can take a ripe tomato, core it, and put in ziplock in freezer......
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  7. Likes cefe13 liked this post
  8. #29
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,192
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5433

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    OMG that CRACKS ME UP!!!! I already asked one of my sisters if she would like to can at the end of summer and she said YES YES YES!! So.......I will be asking....where do I begin and PRAY that I don't get botulism HAHAHAHAHA
    It is super fun! I do water bath and pressure canning so youíll need to decide which (or both) youíll want to do. The pressure canner I have is a little pricey but well worth it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Likes sisters3, cefe13 liked this post
  10. #30
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,687
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11787

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Canning is basically not just Masson jars. Canning is just a term. You can use ziplock bags like @cefe13 does n freeze your tomatoes or like what you see in your groceries stores the jams, any sauces even anything in a can is canning. Just remember one important thing about canning, if you use cloves of garlic, always make sure the garlic stays at the bottom of the jar n never works itself to the top for air like under your cap. That’s when botulism hits. Garlic is the biggest botulism culprit in the food industry n mold. If you see mold on top of example jam or bread, get rid of the whole product as mold continues right down to the bottom of a jar without you seeing it. Canning is what I do as business and every year I have to be updated on food inspection. I sell all over Canada n private customers in US. I love to can, you can save so much money n eat healthy as you know what you put in. Like @Cbrugs said, she’s still standing loll

  11. Likes Cbrugs, sisters3, cefe13 liked this post
  12. #31
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,192
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5433

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Canning is basically not just Masson jars. Canning is just a term. You can use ziplock bags like @cefe13 does n freeze your tomatoes or like what you see in your groceries stores the jams, any sauces even anything in a can is canning. Just remember one important thing about canning, if you use cloves of garlic, always make sure the garlic stays at the bottom of the jar n never works itself to the top for air like under your cap. That’s when botulism hits. Garlic is the biggest botulism culprit in the food industry n mold. If you see mold on top of example jam or bread, get rid of the whole product as mold continues right down to the bottom of a jar without you seeing it. Canning is what I do as business and every year I have to be updated on food inspection. I sell all over Canada n private customers in US. I love to can, you can save so much money n eat healthy as you know what you put in. Like @Cbrugs said, she’s still standing loll
    I was home yesterday and actually tried something different and less time consuming...Instant Pot strawberry jam! It actually wasn't too bad at all. It's supposed to last 3 weeks in the fridge and up to a year in the freezer. It was super easy and a quickie too.

    All this talk about canning makes me want to do some!

  13. Likes sisters3, helsonwheels liked this post
  14. #32
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,796
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2653

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    I love this thread and look forward to sharing gardening work-in-progress and hopefully results! We've got this tiny patio garden but there is always room for a few tomato plants!


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  15. Likes sisters3, helsonwheels liked this post
  16. #33
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3981

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    I love this thread and look forward to sharing gardening work-in-progress and hopefully results! We've got this tiny patio garden but there is always room for a few tomato plants!
    I love it too!!! Let's all post here ok? Pre-planting, seedlings, etc. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it all

    PS: Through research I decided for this year, I am doing container tomato plants, in aeration grow bags (30 gallon bags, reuseable), hope I made the right choice. Too risky to plant into the ground where I live until I have a chance to actually dig a garden LOL. This is, of course, assuming I actually take seeds to seedlings HAHAHAHA
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  17. Likes cefe13, Cbrugs liked this post
  18. #34
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,796
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2653

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    I love it too!!! Let's all post here ok? Pre-planting, seedlings, etc. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it all

    PS: Through research I decided for this year, I am doing container tomato plants, in aeration grow bags (30 gallon bags, reuseable), hope I made the right choice. Too risky to plant into the ground where I live until I have a chance to actually dig a garden LOL. This is, of course, assuming I actually take seeds to seedlings HAHAHAHA
    Yes, post!

    Container tomato plants should work well - when we lived in a flat and just had a balcony, we had tomatoes in pots. I now grow in raised beds and mix tomato plants with annual flowers.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  19. Likes sisters3 liked this post
  20. #35
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,319
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    3981

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Yes, post!

    Container tomato plants should work well - when we lived in a flat and just had a balcony, we had tomatoes in pots. I now grow in raised beds and mix tomato plants with annual flowers.
    Since you're familiar with container tomatoes...what do you think of the grow bags? Also, I've read tons about adding bone meal, epsom salt, etc to soil for good growth BUT if I am using a good vegetable potting soil do I need to do all of that? Or is that just for when you plant in the ground?
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  21. #36
    Dog Show Judge cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,796
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2653

    Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Since you're familiar with container tomatoes...what do you think of the grow bags? Also, I've read tons about adding bone meal, epsom salt, etc to soil for good growth BUT if I am using a good vegetable potting soil do I need to do all of that? Or is that just for when you plant in the ground?
    I'm not familar with grow bags but googled and they look really interesting and good! I used standard plastic or clay pots, 30-40 cm high and 25-35 cm wide and I've grown in plastic buckets too (not elegant but does the job as long as you drill holes to let out excess water!). For soil, I buy standard garden soil and just add a little cow manure fertilizer - all standard stuff from the local garden centre. I am definitely no expert, but I don't think you need lots of special fertilizers as long as the potting soil is suitable.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  22. Likes sisters3 liked this post
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •