Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    After they have sprouted and are at a height of about 3" and IF the weather has seen it's last frost...carefully take them outside and heave them into the trash can. Get in your car and go to the grocery store and buy some tomatoes...Romas are preferred.
    Now if you are growing Roses( Hybrid Tea, Floribunda, English, etc)...let me know.
    Now THAT'S the way to motivate a new gardener HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm starting with tomatoes and herbs, maybe flowers (roses) next year....Lord willing
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    If your garage isn’t heated you need to keep bottom trays warm. Idk what temperature your area is but great if you have a heating pad. Fan starts when they stick out. Nowadays we use led lights n that can stay on all day if there isn’t any day light. No sun!!! You’ll burn them especially if it’s seedlings.

My secret to big thick solid green plants......coffee grains!!! I’ve been using my leftover grains for decades. Hmmm I sound old lolll... I drink black coffee so once in a while I’ll add my one-two sips left in my house plant whit a bit of extra water..

Tomatoes

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...epic-tomatoes/
    Just ordered my warming pad, thank YOU!! And that is what was in the Epic tomatoes episode...AWESOME!!!!

3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    I'm starting with tomatoes...
    I've done tomatoes once. I planted Big Boy or Better Boy or Bestest Boy...some kind of Boy Tomatoes and watered tham along with my roses and fertilized them with Bone Meal and Blood Meal and some kind of Toamto food. I nurtured those plants and they grew 6' HIGH! They were unreal! I got not a single tomato from any of those 6 plants. Evidently I was supposed to flick the blossoms with my finger to help pollinate them. I figured the Damn Bees would do that. UGH! Never again.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    I've done tomatoes once. I planted Big Boy or Better Boy or Bestest Boy...some kind of Boy Tomatoes and watered tham along with my roses and fertilized them with Bone Meal and Blood Meal and some kind of Toamto food. I nurtured those plants and they grew 6' HIGH! They were unreal! I got not a single tomato from any of those 6 plants. Evidently I was supposed to flick the blossoms with my finger to help pollinate them. I figured the Damn Bees would do that. UGH! Never again.
    Oh No!!! Ugggg that would bum me OUT !! My Dad grew prize beefsteak tomatoes in his AMAZING garden, that's when I became a tomato snob LOL. I hope that I can channel his talents while I learn, I should have paid better attention......

Oh well, wish me luck! I purchased Burpee seeds, "Steakhouse Hybrid" beefsteaks. Nothing like slicing into a red, warm, juicy tomato....grab a beer, salt and pepper...oh and Joey of course and I'll be very very HAPPY !!!

6. Likes oscarmayer, cefe13, Cbrugs liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Just ordered my warming pad, thank YOU!! And that is what was in the Epic tomatoes episode...AWESOME!!!!
    I recall my grandpa (Italian) many moons ago his beefsteak tomatoes were massive. One slice n it fill the whole bread. And our bread back then weren’t small like today’s. He would use chicken manure, NEVER water top of a plant but just the root as tomatoes do rot easily n love heat, he would remove the little tiny in between growth of the major stems as they are the suckers n drains the plant. I still do all of this. 3years ago my old neighbors went to visit one of their friends all 85ish and wanted me to come cause the friend wanted to give my neighbor tomatoe seeds that’s been in his family for over 150years! Hell yeah I went. Gave a few to my son so he continues the seeds. I got a few left in the freezer. Old man told me to freeze them when I store them. Them tomatoes are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICO!!!!

8. Likes sisters3, cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

I recall my grandpa (Italian) many moons ago his beefsteak tomatoes were massive. One slice n it fill the whole bread. And our bread back then weren’t small like today’s. He would use chicken manure, NEVER water top of a plant but just the root as tomatoes do rot easily n love heat, he would remove the little tiny in between growth of the major stems as they are the suckers n drains the plant. I still do all of this. 3years ago my old neighbors went to visit one of their friends all 85ish and wanted me to come cause the friend wanted to give my neighbor tomatoe seeds that’s been in his family for over 150years! Hell yeah I went. Gave a few to my son so he continues the seeds. I got a few left in the freezer. Old man told me to freeze them when I store them. Them tomatoes are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICO!!!!
    OMG what an awesome story!! Thanks for the tips too, PLEASE keep them coming!! What kind of tomatoes did the elderly man grow?

This weekend I will start all of the tomato plants, the beefsteak and super sweet 100 cherry. I have all of my supplies gathered except waiting on warming mat which should be here tomorrow. Do you use a grow light? I didn't see you mention.....Do you start all of your plants from seed?

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

OMG what an awesome story!! Thanks for the tips too, PLEASE keep them coming!! What kind of tomatoes did the elderly man grow?

This weekend I will start all of the tomato plants, the beefsteak and super sweet 100 cherry. I have all of my supplies gathered except waiting on warming mat which should be here tomorrow. Do you use a grow light? I didn't see you mention.....Do you start all of your plants from seed?
    This is Alberta, I’ve seen snow in July..lol. I use seeds for rooted veggies only cause we don’t get much of a summerin the prairies. Back home in Montreal no issue. Summers are normal n longer so I would start a lot from seeds. In them links, he shows you with $25 worth of seeds, you can feed a family for a year. Yes you need to do canning for winter. $25!

Nowadays you can use led light. No need for a special garden seedlings lights. The show/links I send you GGW he started to use led lights n leaves it on 24/7 along with a small fan on the lowest setting. That episode is in that link somewhere. Really interested episode.

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...ing-from-seed/

This is one link but not the one he uses led light. N led lights are NOT put right above trays but 2-3 feet above on the wall..

11. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

This is Alberta, I’ve seen snow in July..lol. I use seeds for rooted veggies only cause we don’t get much of a summerin the prairies. Back home in Montreal no issue. Summers are normal n longer so I would start a lot from seeds. In them links, he shows you with $25 worth of seeds, you can feed a family for a year. Yes you need to do canning for winter. $25!

Nowadays you can use led light. No need for a special garden seedlings lights. The show/links I send you GGW he started to use led lights n leaves it on 24/7 along with a small fan on the lowest setting. That episode is in that link somewhere. Really interested episode.

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...ing-from-seed/

This is one link but not the one he uses led light. N led lights are NOT put right above trays but 2-3 feet above on the wall..
    Thanks Helene!! I spent SO MUCH MONEY last year on OTHER PEOPLES PLANTS, mostly failed......which brings me to now, PLUS I LOVE IT

I am totally hooked on Growing a Greener World!! Thank you for sharing, maybe canning will be my end of summer LEARNING project.....

13. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Helene!! I spent SO MUCH MONEY last year on OTHER PEOPLES PLANTS, mostly failed......which brings me to now, PLUS I LOVE IT

I am totally hooked on Growing a Greener World!! Thank you for sharing, maybe canning will be my end of summer LEARNING project.....
    I love canning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes sisters3, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I love canning!!

OMG so......I won't need to go far for HELP HELP HELP.....with learning to can??

17. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

OMG so......I won't need to go far for HELP HELP HELP.....with learning to can??
    Iím no expert but I havenít died from botulism so there you go

Itís scary at first but really not that hard. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it but I try to do it at least a couple times per summer.

19. Likes helsonwheels, sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Let me know when you’re interested in canning. I’m in that business as I sell homemade, handcrafted pesto sauces to major food chain stores. And nowadays you have the internet too

21. Likes cefe13, sisters3 liked this post
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads