Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need Gardening HELP Please

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Thanks Tracey!! I adore the grow bags! Are your plants in the ground?

How do I prune these plants? I know about "suckers" growing out the "V" BUT what about the lowest branches, nothing growing on them but they are big and bushy. What should I do?
    My grandpa use to remove the lower leaves, suckers n eventually cut the top leaves as you need to stop the plant growing too much. Plant needs to benefit the rest of the tomatoes so why you need to cut the main top growth.

Also, next year, up to you, I would definitely look for for organic, non gmo etc n not buy burpee. Burpee buys there seeds from Seminis which is owned by Monsanto. Here’s an article but read the people’s comments below. That’s the best part!!!
    Now that being said, keep growing Missy !! You’re basically learning n you’re doing a great job! It’s with trials and error we learn the most in life. Trust me I got my share. I too use to buy burpee plants n stopped in 2005 when I found out who owns who n what. Monsanto also has stake in Miracle Grow. My partner bought seeding earth from miracle grow. Still in the garage... So now you know what to look for. I had to learn the hard way, myself lol....

But please don’t worry about your tomatoes for this year. Enjoy them!!

Can You Trust Burpee Seeds? | Chicago Garden

2. Likes sisters3, cefe13, ddnene liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    My grandpa use to remove the lower leaves, suckers n eventually cut the top leaves as you need to stop the plant growing too much. Plant needs to benefit the rest of the tomatoes so why you need to cut the main top growth.

Also, next year, up to you, I would definitely look for for organic, non gmo etc n not buy burpee. Burpee buys there seeds from Seminis which is owned by Monsanto. Here’s an article but read the people’s comments below. That’s the best part!!!
    Now that being said, keep growing Missy !! You’re basically learning n you’re doing a great job! It’s with trials and error we learn the most in life. Trust me I got my share. I too use to buy burpee plants n stopped in 2005 when I found out who owns who n what. Monsanto also has stake in Miracle Grow. My partner bought seeding earth from miracle grow. Still in the garage... So now you know what to look for. I had to learn the hard way, myself lol....

But please don’t worry about your tomatoes for this year. Enjoy them!!

Can You Trust Burpee Seeds? | Chicago Garden
    Thanks friend!!!

I am still very "green" at this, pun intended LOL The help that you more experienced gardeners have given me has been spot on and priceless. I so wish that my Dad were still around, my sisters keep saying "Dad would be so proud of you" I say "Jeez, I should have paid more attention to him"

OK so, I will prune from the bottom up for now.....and start making my "wish lists" for non GMO seeds for next year.....HOW FUN !!!!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

4. Likes helsonwheels, cefe13 liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Thanks friend!!!

I am still very "green" at this, pun intended LOL The help that you more experienced gardeners have given me has been spot on and priceless. I so wish that my Dad were still around, my sisters keep saying "Dad would be so proud of you" I say "Jeez, I should have paid more attention to him"

OK so, I will prune from the bottom up for now.....and start making my "wish lists" for non GMO seeds for next year.....HOW FUN !!!!!
    Don’t prune all under, simply get rid of the bigger stems. Airs it out and it will control mold on the earth especially in bags.

And you know what....WE are all proud of you! You’re a newbie gardener and smart as you’re asking questions. That’s how we learn and hey, at the end of the day, you’re eating fresh n you grew it!

6. Likes cefe13, sisters3, ddnene liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I just love this thread and I learn a lot too! I usually don't prune tomatoes but this year I definitely need to do so as I have too many plants. My garden is really small - about 30 square metres (ca 320 square feet) so will follow your advice above and remove some of the lower stems.

Tomatoes are still tiny (I don't know the name of this one but it's a midsize red tomato. The original seed came from the botanical garden and my son got it at a sowing workshop several years ago. Every year we collect seeds for next spring.
    -tomater14juli-jpg

Here's the garden and most of the tomatoes are in the top raised bed, to the right. If you look closely, you can perhaps see my assistant, sleeping after having worked in the garden all afternoon.
    -tr-dg-rden-juli-jpeg

and here is a close-up of him
    -castor-tr-dg-rdss-ng-jpeg

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

8. Likes helsonwheels, sisters3, Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Ok so here’s my garden. I have ring beets, coloured carrots, leeks, onions, red romaine lettuce, turnips, 2 kinds of zucchini’s, bell n banana peppers. Not sure if my peppers will grow as June was absolutely cold. Peppers n tomatoes thrive on heat. And flowers. These sunflowers, last year when I cross Canada with Nyala n Duke, I saw on the highway in Saskatchewan sunflowers all long for miles growing wild. I figured when I drive back I will stop n pick a couple. Now they were ONLY about one-two feet high. Why in my garden they are like 5’ I have NO clue. I find them cute cause the were miniature sunflowers. Pffft. Next year they will be gone for sure.

Attachment 117013Attachment 117014Attachment 117015Attachment 117016Attachment 117017Attachment 117018Attachment 117019Attachment 117020Attachment 117021Attachment 117022Attachment 117023Attachment 117024Attachment 117025Attachment 117026
    This is indeed a nice garden and hello to Nyala and Jack Thanks for posting pics!

10. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    This is indeed a nice garden and hello to Nyala and Jack Thanks for posting pics!
    Thank you! Nyala & Jake says hello too

Your garden reminds me when I was in England visiting family. Their backyards are like yours. Very European n cozy. Love them!

12. Likes cefe13, sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

@cefe13 Oh my goodness! What a beautiful garden! Your garden and @helsonwheels Helene’s gardens are my those of my dreams! I live in a neighborhood that has an HOA and rules, I hope to be moving next year, and I will have a garden like yours and Helene!

I’m so excited for the first red tomato!
    @helsonwheels Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! This thread makes gardening extra special! Thanks for clarifying the pruning!

14. Likes cefe13, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We’re having a odd summer. June was cold +10ish, July rain rain rain n maybe 4days @30 and August so far 20ish. That sure doesn’t help the tomatoes n peppers . The fennel are doing great, onions, leeks, carrots, turnips, zucchini... I think I have like 3 peppers coming out. And idk why my photos are sideways. I haven’t changed anything. Sorry about that.

-6817d8db-c7a5-4584-a18c-1ed13db2447d-jpeg
    -c74346d4-751c-4445-b980-6db5a8524a80-jpeg
    -81d6f90b-6833-4515-88b3-9aeb6231a96d-jpeg

16. Likes sisters3, cefe13 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

@helsonwheels FENNEL YUMMO!!! I wish I was a neighbor...I'd be coming for some!! Since I'm so very new at this I'm not sure when things should be ripe and ready, I still am envious of your garden!!! I only have ripe Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and they are fantastic. The steakhouse (hybrid of beef steak and heirloom) are PLENTY and HUGE but still green. Those are the ones that I am really looking forward to.

Here in PA we've had REALLY HOT weather and I did read that hot and humid will slow the ripening process....did not know that. My friend is growing cucumbers, among other things, and she says that hers are behind a few weeks.....

18. Likes helsonwheels, cefe13 liked this post
    Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member thett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Theresa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella, Harvey
    Likes (Received)

Wow!!! That is one awesome garden! Your fennel looks amazing! I planted 2 and neither came up. The rest of my stuff is doing well though with the limited space I have.
    What are your green thumb tricks? You most surely have one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes cefe13, sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@sisters3 tomatoes are just starting to ripe. Slow.
    @thett I always had a green thumb but... last year I did but fennel about 4” long n planted them. Non worked. They died at 6” long . This year I decided to go with seeds. They were planted straight into the garden. Seems they grow better that way. I love fennel so I did some reading up on them. Seems when they are ready to pick, there will be seeds falling off of them. Them falling seeds are supposed to grow back the following year. Will see if it’s true. Doubt I’ll be putting tomatoes next year or peppers. Our summers in Alberta is not long. Maybe one month of on n off heat. Green thumbs is always keeping an eye on your plants n understand the plant’s need. I also buy only non gmo seeds. I start them in little pots with a seeding soil. Light tubes needs to be 2” above the plant as they grow inside. Never too high or it will stretch as it wants to follow the light. If you seed them in soil, they need to be covered or in darkness. But make sure you do not plant a seed deep. Follow the package instructions.

22. Likes cefe13, sisters3, thett liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great garden pics! Lots of tomatoes (and grapes!) here but still very green - a month to go or so I think. We've had good weather here but seems to get cold and rainy now, unfortunately. We had hail yesterday that destroyed some flowers.

24. Likes sisters3 liked this post
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Remove Ads