How do you keep Squirrels out of a veggie garden?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I just planted my vegetable garden last weekend. Well yesterday the squirrels started digging up the Radish sprouts. URGHHHHHH It looks like they only dug the up and left them. I think they smelled the radish but when they dug them up, they weren't there. I was able to salvage a lot of the sprouts and I have more today. I really don't want to cover the garden with Chicken wire, Do Scarecrows, fake snakes,flags etc scare off squirrels? Someone said to sprinkle hot pepper in the ground.

Any suggestions?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
There are chemicals you can spray on your garden to keep pests away... including tree rats. (squirrels) We have squirrels and rabbits here to worry about and we are going to need to get some spray this year.... the rabbits are multiplying like,,, well, um,,, rabbits!!!:LMAO:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good question. I use a small green house when I do planting, but since the babies and EBN took over I have not done it again. I heard that about red pepper flakes too. But not sure if it works....

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I will try the red pepper flakes. I have loads in my pantry. Today has been okay, however I have been outside with the dogs most of the day, so they are staying away.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We have, in the past strayed petunias and other flowers with a mixture of tobacco type sauce and water. Id forgotten about that..... we had a rabbit one year that ate so many of Lari's flowers we named it Petunia. Apparently our gazebo deck is a good place to live if your a rabbit. Haven't been able to get rid of them yet. It's against the law to discharge any kind of weapon in the city so I can't even scare them off with a BB gun.

Another little anecdote: One of our neighbors just loves squirrels and has feeders in their yard for them. Another neighbor hates squirrels and traps/relocates them... LOL We remain neutral ;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.