Winter Storm Harper-Protecting Pups-Sub Zero Temps

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
So, this one looks like a BEAST. Getting a better forecast now. PLUS unbelievable temps starting Sunday!!

I will totally snow blow area for Joey to relieve herself BUT I stress about her paws so much in temps this low (ambient 1 degree, real feel 20 below). I have tried boots and no go....

Does anyone know if they make pull on socks that would protect her paws? We did experience temps like this last year and it broke my heart for Joey, she would stop and pick up her paws, I would rub them for her to continue walking.

What does everyone else do? Thanks :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
So thankful that we never get snow and cold this bad. Looks like snow will miss us but what we consider bitter cold (18Ā°F) will be around for a couple of days. I hate cold weather. GIVE ME SOME HEAT! PLEASE!
When it's cold out though, our crew is out and in very quickly. They aren't cold weather dogs at all.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
So thankful that we never get snow and cold this bad. Looks like snow will miss us but what we consider bitter cold (18Ā°F) will be around for a couple of days. I hate cold weather. GIVE ME SOME HEAT! PLEASE!
When it's cold out though, our crew is out and in very quickly. They aren't cold weather dogs at all.

Glad that the snow will miss you this time....not us. With that much snow and then crazy cold temps I am making an area right outside the front door for Joey. SHE NEVER GOES TO the bathroom in her own yard LOL, she always goes out on leash, with me, and we walk to field where she like to go. But, she will need to be ok in her own yard this time, I do not want to get too far from the house.

Any thoughts on paw protection???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well this is Canada n yes we do get our -40s here. I donā€™t walk Nyala n Duke Under -5cel. Nyala is tougher than Duke. Duke will raise a paw here n there but not on their walks jus if they stand there. They warm up while walking. Like dogs pulling sleighs. They keep moving so they stay warm. There is also balms/wax for their paws you put before going out. Iā€™m not a fan of boots till I did more research on the. Paws needs to breathe even winter. So I do a very fast n short pace powerwalk which theyā€™re basically trotting or when itā€™s our extreme cold I play n run after them in the backyard. Look like a looney toons character but heh, keeps all of us going lol

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Well this is Canada n yes we do get our -40s here. I donā€™t walk Nyala n Duke Under -5cel. Nyala is tougher than Duke. Duke will raise a paw here n there but not on their walks jus if they stand there. They warm up while walking. Like dogs pulling sleighs. They keep moving so they stay warm. There is also balms/wax for their paws you put before going out. Iā€™m not a fan of boots till I did more research on the. Paws needs to breathe even winter. So I do a very fast n short pace powerwalk which theyā€™re basically trotting or when itā€™s our extreme cold I play n run after them in the backyard. Look like a looney toons character but heh, keeps all of us going lol

Thanks Helene! Joey will make quick order of going out when it's frigid, we go pretty quickly BUT I get concerned about her paws. I just ordered Musher's Secret pad balm, better than foot cover? Yes? Anything more that I should know about using this?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We are suppose to get 1-2 inches Tomorrow evening. WS Harper suppose to rain starting Saturday and Sunday turning to snow Sunday late. Temps Sunday night and Monday morning will be in the single digits.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks Helene! Joey will make quick order of going out when it's frigid, we go pretty quickly BUT I get concerned about her paws. I just ordered Musher's Secret pad balm, better than foot cover? Yes? Anything more that I should know about using this?

Yes thatā€™s a great product. Make sure you dont walk on an icy trail as they can slip. Dogs basically breathes through the bigger pad under their paws as paws n tongue regulates their body temperature especially in the summer itā€™s their cooling thermostat as we say. Once Joey has come in from her walk still wipe off the snow accumulations inside the paws with a warm cloth. Like dry them up a bit. You can also use a tad more afterwards to keep them soft. Winter is hard as hot cement. Cracks paws.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yep.. musher secret... love that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We are suppose to get 1-2 inches Tomorrow evening. WS Harper suppose to rain starting Saturday and Sunday turning to snow Sunday late. Temps Sunday night and Monday morning will be in the single digits.

I sure hope you're spared the ice and high snow accumulations! Here, as usual, our local news has GFS and Euro models still fighting but coming closer together, one is in the 6 to 8 inch range (GFS) and Euro closer a foot plus......I just hope it stays snow and NO ICE please :) Either way the temps late Sunday are brutal....."Please potty early Joey" LOL

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes thatā€™s a great product. Make sure you dont walk on an icy trail as they can slip. Dogs basically breathes through the bigger pad under their paws as paws n tongue regulates their body temperature especially in the summer itā€™s their cooling thermostat as we say. Once Joey has come in from her walk still wipe off the snow accumulations inside the paws with a warm cloth. Like dry them up a bit. You can also use a tad more afterwards to keep them soft. Winter is hard as hot cement. Cracks paws.

Oh thanks so much!!!! Missed this post......AWESOME HELENE thanks again!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Glad that the snow will miss you this time....not us. With that much snow and then crazy cold temps I am making an area right outside the front door for Joey. SHE NEVER GOES TO the bathroom in her own yard LOL, she always goes out on leash, with me, and we walk to field where she like to go. But, she will need to be ok in her own yard this time, I do not want to get too far from the house.

Any thoughts on paw protection???
Maybe some toddler socks and Vet Wrap to hold them on. If that works, get lots of Vet Wrap.
Having so little experience with frigid cold...I haven't much to offer.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Maybe some toddler socks and Vet Wrap to hold them on. If that works, get lots of Vet Wrap.
Having so little experience with frigid cold...I haven't much to offer.

Great idea, will try that, anything for a little, quick protection......

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We are supposed to get hit w/some this weekend...
Have you ever considered making her a potty patch w/a tarp? I have never done this, but Willow is such a PITA in the wintertime.

I have NO advice on the paw pads, but I have heard good things about that Musher's Secret.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We are supposed to get hit w/some this weekend...
Have you ever considered making her a potty patch w/a tarp? I have never done this, but Willow is such a PITA in the wintertime.

I have NO advice on the paw pads, but I have heard good things about that Musher's Secret.

I just saw that parts of TN could get pretty icky from this storm...YIKES! I've never thought of the tarp idea, the thing that scares me about that is how slippery it would be for me LOL BUT love the thought of it.....I am going to do my best to make an area in the front of the house and HOPEFULLY she will be ok with it.....

Members online

No members online now.