Winter Storm Harper-Protecting Pups-Sub Zero Temps

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I am glad we donā€™t get snow here! I sure do NOT miss the NY winters!!
Although it s
Does get cold here in Georgia (to me anyway) I guess itā€™s the damp cold that gets to me. 40 in NY was bearable. 40 here is ccccooolllddd to me!
And the few days in between of 60-70 degree days make a difference too!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks Helene! Joey will make quick order of going out when it's frigid, we go pretty quickly BUT I get concerned about her paws. I just ordered Musher's Secret pad balm, better than foot cover? Yes? Anything more that I should know about using this?
Please donā€™t worry, it looks very pitiful when they lift their paws, but there is absolutely no danger for dog to walk in freezing temperatures and in the snow. In China we never missed a walk on a snowy day, and temperatures were -4 Fahrenheit. Itā€™s absolutely safe.
Donā€™t spend your money on shoes, dogs hate shoes and though it is possible to teach them to wear it, itā€™s extremely unpleasant for them. They battle to balance in shoes etc.
The only thing I would recommend in this cold weather is some sweater or jacket for her.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Please donā€™t worry, it looks very pitiful when they lift their paws, but there is absolutely no danger for dog to walk in freezing temperatures and in the snow. In China we never missed a walk on a snowy day, and temperatures were -4 Fahrenheit. Itā€™s absolutely safe.
Donā€™t spend your money on shoes, dogs hate shoes and though it is possible to teach them to wear it, itā€™s extremely unpleasant for them. They battle to balance in shoes etc.
The only thing I would recommend in this cold weather is some sweater or jacket for her.

Thanks so much and sorry for my delay, weā€™ve been clearing snow lol! Your post makes me feel way better, especially since itā€™s 3 degrees right now, yikes!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks so much and sorry for my delay, weā€™ve been clearing snow lol! Your post makes me feel way better, especially since itā€™s 3 degrees right now, yikes!

Freakin crazy how cold it is... no snow for us, it was all rain and wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Freakin crazy how cold it is... no snow for us, it was all rain and wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so jealous !! I was hoping for less snow and NO SLEET....but got both. 9" of snow then overnight a nice coating of ice. UGGGGG But Joey is being a real trooper!!!! She's waiting until the last minute to tell me she needs to go and then we make our way out back and power through......I was SO HAPPY that she had a very successful potty this morning, yesterday she held her #2 until the evening....I was afraid she would "get the calling" in the middle of the night.....I don't really mind it when that happens, no often, but really dislike it when its 10 below LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am so jealous !! I was hoping for less snow and NO SLEET....but got both. 9" of snow then overnight a nice coating of ice. UGGGGG But Joey is being a real trooper!!!! She's waiting until the last minute to tell me she needs to go and then we make our way out back and power through......I was SO HAPPY that she had a very successful potty this morning, yesterday she held her #2 until the evening....I was afraid she would "get the calling" in the middle of the night.....I don't really mind it when that happens, no often, but really dislike it when its 10 below LOL

Good job, Joey! My two run out and right back in... fast moving potty today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

How cold does it usually get in your area?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
How cold does it usually get in your area?

Well.....this is historically the coldest time but we normally would be in the high 20ā€™s during the day, teens at night. BUT right now it is 2 degrees. This cold should be gone after tomorrow. High of 43 tomorrow with afternoon rain, so hopefully it will clear the yard of snow.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well.....this is historically the coldest time but we normally would be in the high 20ā€™s during the day, teens at night. BUT right now it is 2 degrees. This cold should be gone after tomorrow. High of 43 tomorrow with afternoon rain, so hopefully it will clear the yard of snow.

I always need to convert since itā€™s metric here. :chapped: lol

So basically +2 is -16cel... so yes if youā€™re going to walk a good distance needs booties and a jacket. At them temperature I donā€™t bother taking mine out at them temperatures, only in the backyard for a fast warmup.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I always need to convert since itā€™s metric here. :chapped: lol

So basically +2 is -16cel... so yes if youā€™re going to walk a good distance needs booties and a jacket. At them temperature I donā€™t bother taking mine out at them temperatures, only in the backyard for a fast warmup.

Oh jeez.....conversion in Canada, I forgot LOL! Joey has been a real TROOPER through all of this!! I have always gone out with her, so we make a super great team....her last potty before bed last night she FINALLY just quickly peed on the snow covering the flagstone patio just off of the deck INSTEAD of heading to the open field......

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We are supposed to get hit w/some this weekend...
Have you ever considered making her a potty patch w/a tarp? I have never done this, but Willow is such a PITA in the wintertime.

I have NO advice on the paw pads, but I have heard good things about that Musher's Secret.

OMG I am so stupid.....LOL, someone just told me about putting tarp down BEFORE IT SNOWS and removing after.....Oh man, that is WHAT YOU MEANT.....HAHAHAHAHA.......Please do not ask how it played out in MY HEAD......I am laughing so hard right now.....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I am so stupid.....LOL, someone just told me about putting tarp down BEFORE IT SNOWS and removing after.....Oh man, that is WHAT YOU MEANT.....HAHAHAHAHA.......Please do not ask how it played out in MY HEAD......I am laughing so hard right now.....

OH GOSH, I'm sorry... I should've been more descriptive :laugh:

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
OH GOSH, I'm sorry... I should've been more descriptive :laugh:

OMG Tracey you would LAUGH YOUR _____ off if you knew what was in my head about the tarp. I really crack MYSELF up sometimes.......

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG Tracey you would LAUGH YOUR _____ off if you knew what was in my head about the tarp. I really crack MYSELF up sometimes.......

WELL you could put out one of the potty patches in the yard or deck... Lol OR like Willow, just run behind the deck furniture and do your business :giggle:

Members online

No members online now.