helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hahaha...my son knows that look all too well...even at 21 years old. I wish the look worked on Louie lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ROFL:

BellyRubs

Jun 7, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabelle
About 6 yrs ago my wife passed away. My 13 YO son's grades declined to the point that I told him he would no longer be attending a private school...I'd not waste the $$$. He started 8th Grade public school with a heavy workload.
Video games eventually consumed his life, a carry over from several years prior. We had numerous arguments about not eating, not bathing, not studying, not sleeping, not brushing teeth, not peeing or pooping until it was almost too late...all while playing video games. I can't tell you how many times I saw him running to the bathroom. I was complicit in this decline as I was going through my own depression from the loss of Donna and didn't make necessary demands to change the course of his behavior. I just ignored it hoping he would eventually grow out of it. He didn't.
Over a period of several months we had several Come-to-Jesus-Meetings none of which worked to change his behavior or redirect his interest away from video games. It was bad. Ultimately, I stood by my promises and confiscated all of the video games and computers and sold them all. He was MISERABLE. I felt for him. I helped to create this problem and the only way to fix it was to go cold turkey and stick with it.
It was a painful process and it took every bit of 2 years to get him completely off the games and away from the virtual online friends, life. Dalton completed High school in June with a 4.4 GPA and enough credits to enter Old Dominion University as a Sophomore...for free....except for books. He did great! In that time he accumulated over 600 hours of volunteer work at Nauticus, Norfolk and the Virginia Military Aviation Museum and remains a necessary part of our Bulldog Rescue. He's an awesome kid with a very bright future. Had I left him to play video games he'd either be looking at a $10.00/hr job at a local movie theater, or similar and no college...or I'd be shelling out $5-10K/year for him to attend a Community College and having to drag him out of bed every morning.
It took me a long time to figure out just how bad these games are to some kids...like Xanex, they are EXTREMELY addictive. The manufacturers know this and design these games this way. They are criminal, IMO...and serve to ruin many a kid's life...and the lives of those around them.

From a Father-to-be thank you for sharing your story. Very happy your son is doing better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Amazing story! A heartfelt ending after going through heartbreaking and struggles. Congratulations to you and your son! The Journeyā€™s only begun and more to accomplish in the future . Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
And it not just children, the world has become one sad place, nothing like when I was growing up.
We played outside, my children played outside, my older grandchildren played outside but not the young ones itā€™s the iPad, the phone or the computer.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
And it not just children, the world has become one sad place, nothing like when I was growing up.
We played outside, my children played outside, my older grandchildren played outside but not the young ones itā€™s the iPad, the phone or the computer.

A few weeks ago I was doing a demo at a grocery store holding my products and Iā€™m there talking to people and all till I noticed a young couple walking in with their daughter which I would say was about 10yrs old. The kid had an iPad playing a game throughout the whole time the parents were shopping!! Was still playing at the cash register and walking out the door while her dad held the door open for her... :facepalm2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A few weeks ago I was doing a demo at a grocery store holding my products and Iā€™m there talking to people and all till I noticed a young couple walking in with their daughter which I would say was about 10yrs old. The kid had an iPad playing a game throughout the whole time the parents were shopping!! Was still playing at the cash register and walking out the door while her dad held the door open for her... :facepalm2:

The society we created.... so sad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

Yes very sad

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.