Pretty scary, and depressing, if you ask me!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am an avid listener of a talk radio station in my area, KFI AM 640. I was listening to the Bill Carroll show this morning and he had one of the subjects, Tim Harrison, of a new documentary set to come out this Friday on his show. The documentary is called, The Elephant In The Living Room. It's about the shocking number of exotic and dangerous animals that are kept as pets in the USA. I don't know if I can watch the movie, this interview scared me, shocked me and made me awfully depressed for these poor animals. Did you know that people can purchase dangerous snakes like Egyptian Cobras via the internet without any license or requirements at all?! I learned about certain pet auctions taking place in our country from here on EBN (that I didn't know about before) but do you know at some of these auctions (PA and Ohio were mentioned in this radio segment) that people can easily and legally buy things like black mambas, alligators, etc?! Did you know that there are more lions (or tigers can't remember) being kept in Texas as pets than there are living in the wild in India? There was also a story mentioned of a man selling a litter of 4 lion cubs out of the back of his van at a k-mart in Texas! I guess this problem has grown considerably since the 1990's when wild life reality shows were introduced. This scares me and saddens me that these poor wild animals are being kept as pets. AND confuses me, who thinks it's a good idea to buy a baby alligator or lion to be kept as a pet?!! Ok sorry, I have gone on long enough but I had to share.

The Elephant in the Living Room (2010) - IMDb

The Elephant In The Living Room - A Michael Webber Film

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
The last governor of Ohio before he left office...passed a law so you can't have native animals in Ohio...Snake, venomous ones...are BANNED there are seven constrictors also BANNED. Which means that ones who own them are awaiting to see if they will produce a permit to grandfather them. I'm surprised Ohio was mentioned on the radio with this new law that has taken effect...Non-native animals are BANNED from coming into Ohio as well. It is tricky...for say chinchillas...if the breeder lives in the US...they are allowed to sell them here. But...there is a list of ones completely BANNED...I think the more dangerous exotics that have been in the news in years past...and such are the ones permanently banned.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow, I never really knew how much of a problem that is. I will be watching that when it comes out.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't get surprised when someone chooses an exotic animal such as a lion or an alligator as a pet. What I really can't believe is when they have more than one and have such a small property. Poor animals are enclosed in a space where there's not even room to make a couple of steps!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lots of exotic game ranches here in tx have lions tigers etc on thier land, they will raise them and people will pay to come in and shoot them. when i first started working at the pd here i was told not to be suprised if people called in saying that there is lions, elephants, out on the road :eek:.. whats happening is all the wild game ranches are getting bored with deer antelope etc and bringing in other kinds of wild animal so people can pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to kill them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
lots of exotic game ranches here in tx have lions tigers etc on thier land, they will raise them and people will pay to come in and shoot them. when i first started working at the pd here i was told not to be suprised if people called in saying that there is lions, elephants, out on the road :eek:.. whats happening is all the wild game ranches are getting bored with deer antelope etc and bringing in other kinds of wild animal so people can pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to kill them.

Now that is sad and disgusting to me. I am all for hunters but to bring these animals in just for this reason is beyond sad. To see that lion in the video just sitting in that tiny cage is horrible. I would LOVE to work with wild animals like bears etc and even the ones that are trained for movies and all BUT they are not in tiny cages like this. Lions are beautiful so it doesnt surprise me either that somebody could think they could have one for a pet but then you look in their caged eyes and they just look sad. :(

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

WOW I didn't know that! Dave is a hunter (only birds) so he knows alot about the hunting industry (I know alot too thru him) and I have heard of paying hundreds of dollars to go out here to do guided big game hunts for like wild boar but never heard of people in the US hunting lions :*( I mean I am ok with the idea of hunting when you actually eat what you kill (which we do) but just hunt to kill, that I don't understand and never will!

L

Lucy-licious

that is very sad :(
I'm not a complete bann the hunt type person. I don't get it but I'm not against it as long as people are hunting for food.
my Uncle used to go Rabbiting with his Jack Russell and a Ferrett when I was only a small child and the Rabbit pie he made was delishious.
but hunting for the fun and thrill only!! I'm sorry that is so very sad in my opinion :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

That is just so sad ............... it shouldn't be allowed to happen!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online