does anybody have a cat?

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I have a cat my daughter brought home about 12 years ago.
she's a great cat, very independant, stay's outdoors. I live in the country so she spends her days, either lounging on the porch, or scouting in the forrest, and occasionally brings us a gift of a field mouse, or other critter.

up until last year, I had no problem getting her in the carrier for her yearly vet check up. Last year it took about 2 hours, and I ended up bleeding. She simply wasn't going to have it!!

Sooo, it's that time of year again.

Does anybody have any recomendations to make this easier for her and me?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
a heavy coat and leather work gloves...a goalie mask might also be advised. That, or a Have-a-Heart trap.
Is it too obvious I'm not a cat person?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have 4 but ours are indoor cats. Not sure if that makes a difference or not but while ours grumble about going in to the carriers for vet visits it usually only takes us about 15 minutes to wrangle them all up. However, I do have one feisty one that throws a fit but i usually wear my welding gloves when it is time to get him so no major scratches for me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Not much you can do but yes wear gloves. I use to have a nasty one but would grab it by the collar like a momma cat does. Why donā€™t you start putting her feeding bowl in her crate n leave the door open so she can walk in n out. Also if not already done, get her a bigger crate so she can move around in it and not feel trapped. Just a thought.

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Not much you can do but yes wear gloves. I use to have a nasty one but would grab it by the collar like a momma cat does. Why donā€™t you start putting her feeding bowl in her crate n leave the door open so she can walk in n out. Also if not already done, get her a bigger crate so she can move around in it and not feel trapped. Just a thought.

It's a huge crate, and last year I did grab her by the scruf of the neck, but as anyone with a cat knows, they are almost elastic like contortionist, she somehow got me with her claws anyway.
Thanks for all the help guys, our appt. is next Friday, and I'm dreding it already.
Trying to come up with something that could make it easier.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I had a cat to take to the vet, I would have a towel in my hands(one hand on each side) quickly grab the cat from behind,hold tightly with the towel,and get him in the crate(crate standing up on it's side.)Close door fast! You have got to make sure you get cat swaddled tight,before getting him in cage(towel and cat),so you don't get scratched.That's how I did it. [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] :catluv:

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
sounds like it's worth a try.
thanks

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The towel is the way to go! That's exactly what I have to do.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When I had a cat to take to the vet, I would have a towel in my hands(one hand on each side) quickly grab the cat from behind,hold tightly with the towel,and get him in the crate(crate standing up on it's side.)Close door fast! You have got to make sure you get cat swaddled tight,before getting him in cage(towel and cat),so you don't get scratched.That's how I did it. [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] :catluv:

Like magic! Bammm. :retreat::bat::bat: :catluv:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the Vet Tech that's saddled with opening that cage.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking like Lynn... wrap her in a towel to pick her up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My parents have a Maine Coon...hates, hates, hates going to vet. They take him once a month to get his nails clipped and get charged $100 for it because multiple techs have to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Back in 1999 my wife at the time, Donna, worked for a Vet in Portsmouth Va. The practice had recently changed hands and the new owner was an arrogant EhHole. A nasty cat came in for a nail trim. Two vet techs released it from it's "packaging". It went wild! They struggled to get it cornered and it was having nothing to do with them, snapping, lunging, and swiping...in full kill mode. They went to the EhHole Vet and told him they couldn't handle the cat. He condescendingly stated, "that's what gloves are for!" Now watch how I do this. He put on gloves and entered the room...my wife standing at a safe distance said that seconds later he emerged from the room with a cat attached to his head. It reminded her of the alien face hugger. Cat's back claws were buried deeply in the back of his neck and the fronts were embedded into his scalp. His nose suffered numerous bites in a matter of seconds. It took 5 gloved employees to extract that cat. My wife was not one of them...she laughed, quietly...and laughed, and laughed. Vet spent a good part of the day at the hospital getting stitches in his face and cheek...and shots. Angry cats are bad news...I fear angry cats.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a similar story-but with a horse and foal. Working at an Arabian farm,I was the only one willing to handle this mare-she was evil.Just had a foal. Owner called vet to check it out. He had overdosed my dog, and she died-needless to say,I loathed him. When he came to check up,I told him that he'd better let me get her,as she hated people. In his arrogant way, he said "Oh, I think I can handle it". I said, "Oh, okay"(heh,heh). He opened the stall door, walked up to the mare,she lunged at him, he dived out of the stall, landed on his face in the dirt. I looked down at him, (with such satisfaction:evil:) and he said "I guess you'd better get her". Revenge sometimes IS sweet!:sneaky2::yes:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online