bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
So maybe I am oblivious to how going to a Vet works as this is my first time having a dog...but I have a question.

We took Moose for his final distemper shot on Friday. Prior to going we asked how much it would cost and if we have to pay for another exam fee. We were told the shot itself is $40 and that was it, there wouldn't be an exam
As we are waiting for the doctor one of the nurses asked if we had any concerns we wanted to bring up with the doctor. We said not really as we had just been there 2 weeks ago, but we just had a question regarding the eye redness and whether it was normal.

We left paying the vet $75 because they said they addressed our "concerns". Is this normal for a vet or are they trying to scam us? I have no problem paying $35 dollar for an exam, if it is needed, but I think it is fair to be told that you will be charged.

Than you.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
How did they address your 'concerns'? Did the vet examine Moose's eyes, did they take any tests or prescribe any medicines? If this was just a quick talk about his eyes, I agree they should not charge extra (at least not without telling you in advance).

Our vet's bills are always specified so there is a general fee for the examination/consulation and then on top of that we will pay for tests, prescriptions, etc. If we would take Castor in just for a shot and I would ask the vet in passing about something, I wouldn't expect to pay anything unless that extra involves test/analysis, etc.

Interesting to hear what others reply (I'm not in the US).

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
How did they address your 'concerns'? Did the vet examine Moose's eyes, did they take any tests or prescribe any medicines? If this was just a quick talk about his eyes, I agree they should not charge extra (at least not without telling you in advance).

Our vet's bills are always specified so there is a general fee for the examination/consulation and then on top of that we will pay for tests, prescriptions, etc. If we would take Castor in just for a shot and I would ask the vet in passing about something, I wouldn't expect to pay anything unless that extra involves test/analysis, etc.

Interesting to hear what others reply (I'm not in the US).

I mentioned the eyes and when the Vet came in she briefly looked at them, said it's normal pigmentation and its common with bulldogs. I didn't think that warrants a charge for a consultation, but I just don't know if that is common vet practice.

I am thinking I will switch the vet and find someone that is honest/trustworthy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I guess it depends on the vet. I love my vet and have been going to him since we got Jax in 2013. Iā€™ve had several visits where he did not charge me at all for the ā€œexamā€ or consult.

Based on your description, Iā€™m a little surprised you got charged an exam fee. But maybe some vets do discounts after youā€™ve become an established client??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I mentioned the eyes and when the Vet came in she briefly looked at them, said it's normal pigmentation and its common with bulldogs. I didn't think that warrants a charge for a consultation, but I just don't know if that is common vet practice.

I am thinking I will switch the vet and find someone that is honest/trustworthy.

Yes, change or at least tell them you were surprised they charged you.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Some vets in my opinion are there for the money not for the love of animals. sad but true.

Are they not supposed to check them over before any inoculations and this should be done with this and that's all in the price of the inoculations or am I wrong

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My vet charges $68 for consulting plus what I go in there for. I always bring both pups but never for both. Always just for one of them. The consulting charges are on every single bill. I can guarantee you if I ask a question it will be answered to my satisfaction or I will ask more questions for that price as itā€™s the same price. I like my vet sheā€™s very holistic n not the type will give you the ā€œbrush offā€. If you feel youā€™re getting the brush off, hey tell her youā€™ll be glad going elsewhere. Trust me sheā€™ll change her attitude. If both visits were the brush off, move on to another. My 2cents.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This doesn't surprise me at all.... if you would have said no, they probably would have had a vet tech do the shot and you would not have seen the vet in the room. Shots are sometimes a tech appointment and not with the vet except for rabies, I think vets must administer that shot. keep in mind, whether the appointment lasts 3 minutes or 30 minutes you will be charged for the time.

Now, our vet... I beyond love. He has at times, not charged at all for his time, did a double eval just because both babies were with me in the room, but only charged for one. Some vets will do this once you establish a good relationship, but for the most part... what happen to you seems to be the normal process.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This doesn't surprise me at all.... if you would have said no, they probably would have had a vet tech do the shot and you would not have seen the vet in the room. Shots are sometimes a tech appointment and not with the vet except for rabies, I think vets must administer that shot. keep in mind, whether the appointment lasts 3 minutes or 30 minutes you will be charged for the time.

Now, our vet... I beyond love. He has at times, not charged at all for his time, did a double eval just because both babies were with me in the room, but only charged for one. Some vets will do this once you establish a good relationship, but for the most part... what happen to you seems to be the normal process.

They donā€™t allow vet techs do any shots here. Itā€™s always the vet. Probably why I pay 68$ .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am assuming because you asked about the eyes-and she looked at the eyes, in some vet's realm-that would be considered an "exam". My vet would not have charged extra for that, but it all depends on the practice.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
like most everyone else here, I've used the same vet for years, taking several different pets to him.
They know me, and I know them, (it doesn't hurt that I take them cupcakes every time I go) so in a situation like that, I doubt they would have charged me.
I've become well aquainted with his lead tech there, and often times I'll just phone her up and address my concern to her, she's been there a long time and is a wealth of information.

This being your first dog, it's important to find a vet that you and your dog are truly 100% comfortable with. If your uneasy about this guy's practice; find another; ask friends and coworkers who they use and if they like them and why.

being a dog owner is one of life's greatest privledges. make it the best it can be - don't let one uncomfortable vet visit sour it for you.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
OH HELL NO! They should not have charged you $35.00 to tell you "the eye pigment is normal, carry on"...especially if they have intentions of establishing a long-term relationship. However, if this practice is big Corporate then you should expect it. Start by seeking out a small, individually owned practice...and by all means, avoid Petsmart.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Just to give a little more background, while we were waiting and chatting with the tech, we asked about the charges that we can expect for the day and specifically asked about whether there is an exam fee. The tech said no and that they wanted to trim his nails and clean his ears - for free. I don't know about you guys, but just in one month I've grown so attached to Moose that I am uncomfortable if someone takes him away and I can't see him. So I was uneasy saying yes to that :)

When asked if we had a concern, I guess I just wanted her to tell us that the Vet can address them, but it would be considered a consultation. With that being said, I just have a gut feeling that this Vet isn't the best for us. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just to give a little more background, while we were waiting and chatting with the tech, we asked about the charges that we can expect for the day and specifically asked about whether there is an exam fee. The tech said no and that they wanted to trim his nails and clean his ears - for free. I don't know about you guys, but just in one month I've grown so attached to Moose that I am uncomfortable if someone takes him away and I can't see him. So I was uneasy saying yes to that :)

When asked if we had a concern, I guess I just wanted her to tell us that the Vet can address them, but it would be considered a consultation. With that being said, I just have a gut feeling that this Vet isn't the best for us. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Why would they take him away to trim his nails? Castor has his nails cut at the vet's but then a tech comes into the room and clips his nails while he stands on the examination table.

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
Yeah when i take fran itā€™s just a simple tech visit for shots (they take her and i wait up front and if i ask they will do her nails and ears) Anything with a vet is separate. I can see where theyā€™re justifying charging you since the vet was present.. (not that i agree with It at all.. i think itā€™s crap) maybe call and ask about the charges? If you donā€™t feel good though about your visit absolutely explore your options! I have a stable relationship with Frans vet and i still took her for a second opinion elsewhere when they told me she needed surgery. Good luck let me know if you touch base with them! In a perfect world Iā€™m hoping they issue a credit !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. [emoji190][emoji252]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.